340 Tune Up

-

Rob R

Reaction score
I wish I had started to take pictures sooner of this 340 project that I'm working on.
MoparLvr here on the board has a Really Really nice 69 Swinger that I'm going to tune on throughout the summer.
First step is to port his X heads and intake to see how much I can pick it up perf wise.Along with the porting he has a nice little Holley 750 Ultra carb to top things off.
I've got the heads to what I'd call 85% finished...I'll give them a nice 5 angle valve job and give the valves a back cut.
Then I'll give them a trip to the flow bench to see what we have.After that I'll touch up the port work and make the as pretty as I can "clean up around the guide boss and double check the short sides"
Then we'll put it back together and see how sharp we can get the tune up in it.
I'll also let Bill try a couple of different Ign boxes to see if he can feel the improvement as the tune up progresses with each box.

bill1.jpg

bill2.jpg

bill4.jpg

bill3.jpg

Looks good Rob, Bill is just itching I am sure to try it out. You know I know of another 340 that may want to play around a bit....wink wink!:toothy10:

It's going to be a strong runner when I'm finished with it. But there were some little things that bothered me under the hood...nothing major just little cosmetic things that just didn't match the rest of the quality of his car...
So now that my knees are back up to snuff I'm going to pull the engine and strip and shoot it with acrylic enamel..shoot all the pulleys and brackets and put new under dash insulation and steering column and master cyl gaskets.That way it'll look factory fresh just like the rest of the car...
The under hood is nice now but no ware near the fit and finish of the rest of the car.

You never know....I might just end up owning this car...:-\"

That all sounds great Rob! Glad to hear your knees are doing better. Can't wait to see the Swinger when it's all finished. Might have to think of increasing the ponies in my engine.:-k

I've got a feeling when he's done I'm not going to be allowed to drive it. There's not enough room in your garage for 2 cars plus all your daily drivers Rob so does that mean the "X" is going to need a new home.:love7:

It's OK Bill Rob can keep his GTX at my place. I will only drool over it daily, but I'll keep it clean. Your going to have to take the Swinger racing again, after all these decades with the work being done.:burnout:

Wow, all of a sudden, the cap/rotor/plugs/wires/timing/carb adjust/air/oil/fuel filter and oil change tune ups I do look real....... inferior....

I am having a case of tune up envy here.

The X can stay right where it is. Rob can can keep the Dart at my place. There he can visit it whenever he wants. :-D:toothy10:

Well I made Bill another offer on Saturday to buy his car and his reply was that I offered more the last time...But I think he's failing to realize that there is less and less car to buy as each day passes :toothy10:

underdash.jpg

underhood.jpg

Wow you are really taking that Swinger apart. Hey Rob that is a great mural painting in the background.

Mark...

Just trying to get all the little things that were missed at the body shop...
A friend of mine did the murals...you'll see them when ever you stop by

Mark...

Just trying to get all the little things that were missed at the body shop...
A friend of mine did the murals...you'll see them when ever you stop by

I hope to come by with the Dart one weekend to see your shop where you do all your magic. Maybe I can get Dave and we'll come by soon. Thanks for the invite.:toothy8:

I guess 235-240's int /155-165 exh flow

Wild...

Not bad...not bad at all

you can't see from the picture but the back of the guide is layed back and dressed into the roof.
The heads are almost finished...I like to take them to what you see in the pictures "most of the heavy cutting done" then step away for 4-5 days and then come back and finesse them up a bit before tossing them in the Sunnen for a valve job.
My guess would have been a touch over 250 and mid 160's on the ex...

Geesh, if I had known you were looking to "play" with something, I could have lent you a 340 or two to "practice" on lol..

Looks like Bill will leading the pack this year :)..

Grant

Geesh, if I had known you were looking to "play" with something, I could have lent you a 340 or two to "practice" on lol..

Looks like Bill will leading the pack this year :)..

Grant

Grant

The plan is just to tune up Bill's 340 "numbers matching" to a nice safe limit so he can have a taste of things to come...This is in no way a maximum effort to make HP...just trying to get the most out of what he has at the moment with his present camshaft and compression in his block.
We have a nice little combo waiting in the wings as soon as he gets tired of this one.:thumrigh:

Dave "Dreno" has a nice little combo waiting to slip in between his fenders that will defiantly keep him smiling all summer...:burnout:

-
Back