340 Vs 360 which is better?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

dartsport360

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering about other peoples opinions on which one is better? i have a 74 dart sport with a 360 in it but im looking at a 340. So let me know your opinions on which one you think would be better for cost to power.

Thanks

340 are nice (hell I got one for my duster). But for a street use go with the 360 ( look for the late 80's early 90's LA roller block) and have at it. Remember for street use torque is king!

You mentioned "Cost to Power".

360s are less expensive than 340s (if you had to go out and buy a re-builder) and you already have a 360.

So for you a 360 would be better.

Ive heard alot about the 340's only being good for the name and dates and compression back in the day and that the 360s are cheaper to stroke out and build to be torque monsters but im just worried about the gas mileage ahaha i dont got alot of money for gas because im only 16 but ive heard way more good things about the 360 than the 340!
Thanks for your opinion's guys!

Ive heard alot about the 340's only being good for the name and dates and compression back in the day and that the 360s are cheaper to stroke out and build to be torque monsters but im just worried about the gas mileage ahaha i dont got alot of money for gas because im only 16 but ive heard way more good things about the 360 than the 340!
Thanks for your opinion's guys!

Let me give you some advise.....

Being broke and out of gas isn't any fun and it sure as hell won't impress the ladies.

Before you go worrying about building your hot rod, get a nice, cheap econo box that will reliably get you around.

If you do what I suggested, you will have more money for building your toy.

The great thing about the 340 block is the bigger bore means more cubic inches potential when stroking.

As has been said already 360 is the best bang for the buck and more cubic inches in stock form.

Well, lets see, I at the present time have three 340's that I am building, 69-with J-heads, and two 71's with X-heads. But, in the wings I also have an early 360 bored 60 over, 371 I think, that I plan on building later on. When friends drop around they often ask, what are these, I answer 340's, they always say, Oh boy, thats what I would want if I were building a motor!

The great thing about the 340 block is the bigger bore means more cubic inches potential when stroking.

As has been said already 360 is the best bang for the buck and more cubic inches in stock form.
340 and 360 have 4" bores the 318 has a smaller bore.The 340 has a shorter stroke same as the 318 so if one was to stroke a 340 and 360 with the same crank it would be the same cubes.

If your on the cheap, 360 all the way. Later on in life when you got your chit in one bag, you could scout a 340, but just for the nostalgia. Sure the 340 has its points, but all those can be made into a 360 build too. It mainly had higher compression, tighter rapping and larger valves, put those heads on a 360 and there is 1 mark crossed off. put decent pistons in a 360 and there is #2. There is more street muscle to be had in torque, and a longer stroke can produce more torque because the "lever" is longer due to its crank stroke. The 340 can rev higher because it has less centripital mass, ie, the rods are closer to the centerline of the cam, and can be stroke out more than a 360 due to the larger cylinder size, but you sure pay for those little tidbits. Last but not least, every 340 block you can afford is at least 38 years old, 360 blocks can be found up until 2002 and can be found already set up for a roller cam and had better flowing heads than a 340 even with their larger valves. My vote is for a 360, and I have owned 3 340's. Liked them all, but the 360 has 20 more cubes and more torque. Keep the 340 for the resto crowd...

340 and 360 have 4" bores the 318 has a smaller bore.The 340 has a shorter stroke same as the 318 so if one was to stroke a 340 and 360 with the same crank it would be the same cubes.

Not exactly, the 340 has a 4.04 bore. The 360 is a 4.00

actually a 340 has a 4.04 in bore... so when you drop in a 4 in crank with it bored .030 over you get 416 cubes(might be 414 I forgot). when you do the same thing to a 360 its 408 cubes

woops, didnt see the post above me. sorry

I've had both. I just like the way a 340 revs. I sold all my 360's and saved all the 273's and 340's. When cost is considered? 360. Would I go to the expense and trouble to swap a 340 for a 360, no.

The short, short version...
You can build either, for similar money. But, you can't buy a 340 for anywhere near what 360s can be found for.
As far as performance... For a street car, I'll take stroke length any day over any bonus others think a 340 has. Plus, you're only 16. You have yet to learn that many of the guys you see on the street that have air cleaners that say "427" or "350" or "340" are all running 396s, or 307s, or 318s. Visually, the 273, 318, 340, and 360 LAs are identical in appearance, unless you have a very seasoned eye for detail.

You mentioned you were worried about fuel mileage. I can tell you by experience that no performance built engine will be great on gas, no matter the brand or size.

If you're worried about mileage...... time for a slant 6 swap!!!! or you could always buy a honda!

Let me give you some advise.....

Being broke and out of gas isn't any fun and it sure as hell won't impress the ladies.

Before you go worrying about building your hot rod, get a nice, cheap econo box that will reliably get you around.

If you do what I suggested, you will have more money for building your toy.

X 2!!!!!!!!!

My 30 mpg rice rocket alowed me to cruise the streets on the week ends with my fresh built 340 cuda

My vote is for the 360 as well:burnout:

A rice burner is the first step
Or install a slant or
A 273 2 barrel and build the 360 on the side , gas is only going to go up!
so plan carefully !
I think in the future people who want to drive there Mopar as a daily driver the standard 318 to stand in during the winter and the 360 for spring and summer or some like me two cars.. I have my slant Valiant (moving to a 273 soon)for my Daily driver and the Dart for gassin and blastin!
see ya on the street!

OMG! This beaten dead horse again.

Did ya try a search?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back