340 vs. 360

-
the 360 is cheaper becuase the parts are still in production and it was produced later(longer/more recently) than the 340 was. I have not rebuilt a 360 but I assume if you have a 74 360(i think the first year cause my 73 Dart Sport has a STOCK/#'s matching 340 in it and 73 was the last year for the 340) the pistons and parts(except for the magnum heads which need mods to run on a older engine becuase of differrent oiling system) switch over to say a 80's model 360. 340 has not been made since 73 so its parts are more rare and less used.

For a a street strip id build a 360 just for the pure fact you get 20 more cubes for free and you can build it to the same specs you could build a 340 to so why not build the cheaper(by hundreds of dollars to build) motor that gives free cubic inches? the 360 if built the same will always beat a 340 just becuase of the cubic inches...there is NOTHING the 340 has over the 360 for performance except in STOCK form.

Oh and I see you said you have a 340 stripe on the car.....how would anyone know if its a 360 or a 340 except YOU. Its not like they are different sizes and its not like the block has a big 360 CI printed all over it or anything. no one would ever know. I remember a guy at school that had a built 318 in a A body dart(72 Dart I think). He used to win a lot of races...everyone who got beaten would say the guy was lying becuase it was a 340 with 318 air cleaner/badges on it...why.....becuase you cant tell with SB's unless you sit there and can see the #'s and stuff under all that paint and stuff cause they all look alike!

Mike, as in the other site..Find a good running 360, cam it, stick an intake and carb on it, re-gear to 3.91s, and run it until it blows. You dont have a budget to do much more than crank up a running engine. So dont plan on running 10s..Just get a running engine in it..Then you can start running your mouth again!! (lol)

moper said:
Mike, as in the other site..Find a good running 360, cam it, stick an intake and carb on it, re-gear to 3.91s, and run it until it blows. You dont have a budget to do much more than crank up a running engine. So dont plan on running 10s..Just get a running engine in it..Then you can start running your mouth again!! (lol)

ME run my MOUTH???? :)

I agree with 73dartsport340.
I also have a 73 340 dart, but I am currently running a 360. as far as rpms go,
I run my 360 to 7500+ rpms and haven't had a problem yet.In fact with my combo and compression I had to install a jacobs rev limiter because it wants to keep going. I am using eagle rods and custom venolia's now, but my previous 360 used KB hyperautectictictic.....you Know!.... pistons and stock rods that I lightened and polished myself. heads were 360j's that I ported in my garage , LD340 Intake ,hughes .514 cam . I spun that to 7000 racing and drove from idaho to minnesota for a musclecar race. (I ran an O.D. and 4.10's)As far as expense, I just picked up a running 360 and 727 for $200.

sorry..perhaps not the right phrase...lol. Hey at least something you have runs... ;)

mikesduster i figure if it is tradition go with your gut. i will keep my 340 till there none left to rebuild. then and only then will i go with the 360. mind you there is nothing wrong with the 360, but it is the 340 that is the marquee engine that is forever mopar! sorta like the 426 hemi vs. the new hemi's. again nothing wrong with the new hemi's , but it's not the 426....

the marquee engine
Well, to each there own view. The 340 has the name and rep. For years I got tanned for building a "Dog" motor even though I was beating them. :wack:

hey i hear you rumblefish360. again i have no problems with the 360. it may be the better motor for raceing. i myself do not race other than a stoplight grandprix, :thumblef: and that has been awhile as well. again it is tradition that i'm speaking of only...

the main reason the 340 is more to build is because you have to Pay for the 340.. alot of those # guys pay the big $$$ for a date coded 340... 360's are pretty much a dime a dozen. they were produced for alot more years then the 340.. years ago not much was made for the 360 but all that has changed. i would go with the 360 and forget about it...

I have a free 318...cam it, put a 150hp plate on it, and run THAT until it explodes...lol.

340dartswinger said:
340's are better in my book then a 360-higher in value and more prestigious i think

340s arent worth any more then a 360 when throw a rod out the block on the strip. I sold my old 340 for $900 you could probably buy 2 or 3 running 360 for that price.

Id find a nice 360 add a set of magnum heads, RPM intake and a comp cams 280H. With a set of 3.91s and a 10" converter it would go pretty good and shouldnt cost much to put together. Especailly if you get the magnum heads for free and trade your 4.56 gears for someone elses 391s. Hint hint. :thumblef:

too bad Mike ;)..the 360 from my Swinger hit the floor Sunday during Daytona...It's all sealed up, ready for sleepytimes..lol. The 340 will go in after I paint the engine bay.

why not, then you'll see what the front of all these cars you race look like... 8)

I know this is a different point of view and not really what you asked, but the 340 is... well its a 340. :) Its the Chrysler small block, that when put in a small A body, would give almost any muscle car of the era a run for their money and would take most of them.

I fell in love with that engine back then and just couldn't quite run any thing else. Yes, a 360 will produce more horses for less money, esp. with the 340 parts, but just wouldn't be the same.

Brian

73DartSport340 said:
Oh and I see you said you have a 340 stripe on the car.....how would anyone know if its a 360 or a 340 except YOU. Its not like they are different sizes and its not like the block has a big 360 CI printed all over it or anything. no one would ever know. I remember a guy at school that had a built 318 in a A body dart(72 Dart I think). He used to win a lot of races...everyone who got beaten would say the guy was lying becuase it was a 340 with 318 air cleaner/badges on it...why.....becuase you cant tell with SB's unless you sit there and can see the #'s and stuff under all that paint and stuff cause they all look alike!
"Will thats Alright untill you come across a Clever Dick that can tell the Difference Between the 318 & 360 By its Harmonic Balancer,Well I guess you Gotta Have the Hood up for that to Happen, So you would just Keep the Hood Closed.. :wink: :yawinkle: :)

Mike dosent know how to keep 2 things shut..Mouth or hood...lol. (jk Bud :) )

-
Back