340 vs. 440? (Help)

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
This topic involves a big / small block decision for my 1971 Duster that I hope you guys can help me with. This car is meant to be a very nice custom driver that can occassionaly lay the rubber down on the road. I know the old sane "there is no replacement for displacement" but I am worried about driveability and handling associated with weight. Anyone who has ever driven both a small block and big block car please chime in with your experience.

What is the approx. weight of the 340 vs. the 440 motor dressed?

Option 1: 340 stroked out to a 416, topped off with a sixpack and followed up with a 4 speed 833 23 spline.

Option 2: 440 stroked out to a 500, topped off with a sixpack and followed up with a 4 speed 833 18 spline.

This topic involves a big / small block decision for my 1971 Duster that I hope you guys can help me with. This car is meant to be a very nice custom driver that can occassionaly lay the rubber down on the road. I know the old sane "there is no replacement for displacement" but I am worried about driveability and handling associated with weight. Anyone who has ever driven both a small block and big block car please chime in with your experience.

What is the approx. weight of the 340 vs. the 440 motor dressed?

Option 1: 340 stroked out to a 416, topped off with a sixpack and followed up with a 4 speed 833 23 spline.

Option 2: 440 stroked out to a 500, topped off with a sixpack and followed up with a 4 speed 833 18 spline.

Oh yea you're going to get a lot of opinions on this question. First off these engine weights are with their factory supplied manifolds.
340-525#, 383-400=620 and 440=670
Keep in mind you can shed a lot of weight off the BB's by going to aluminum intake, aluminum water pump, headers and since you're looking at strokers aluminum heads.
Personally I've driven both A body SB's and own a A body BB and for the life of me I don't feel much of a difference, now I've lightened mine up further with a fiberglass hood so maybe I'm not making a fair comparison. But hey I just don't see any difference in the handling, maybe if I was racing it on a track I would and that's JMO.

Terry

You will have a bunch more torque. It still is very drivable though. But you asked about laying down rubber didn't you, thers a differance between a S/B and a RB/B. I c an tell you from the experience. RB/B all the way with tire spin :toothy10:. Too much fun.

there are good arguements for both side. but from experience there is nothing like driving a big block a-body. you can get a big block a-body to handle pretty well with pretty much the same things you would change going from a slant to a small block..

From experience there is nothing like a 440 A body (M code '69 Dart) for right foot giggle factor. Having said that, the only way I would have another one would be with an aluminum block. They are nose heavy pigs with cast iron blocks and to get enough spring rate to make them turn they ride worse than oxcarts. Traded my '69 Dart for a '70 Swinger and never regretted it.

my 69 Dart had both a 340/408 and now a 440/BIG :)
I drive both on the streets and track them ..
simple !!! I will NEVER go small block again !!!

My Buddy Once Asked Me If I Had A Choice Would I Want A Small Dock Or A Big Dock, I Looked At Him And Said 'why-i Want A Bigblock....lol....had Both....wouldnt Trade My Bb Dart For A Smblk For Nothing !!! Both Are Fun But Just Something About The Sound And The Rumble And Not To Mention The Torque Of A 440 Or Any Bb In A Dart Or Mopar.......just Awesome

I have had small blocks A Bodies,4 speeds and autos.Ran good alot of fun.
But the real fun started once I got my 383 4 speed Dart running.The 383 Dart handles pretty well also but the small block cars handle a little better.I only really notice the differance in handling when I go around a corner sometimes.With a Big Block it will cost alittle more and the fit will be tighter.If you can live with that it is WELL worth it.
Jim

Thanks for all of your opinions and time guys, it looks like I will be doing the 500 Stroker given the advice given in this thread. :toothy10:

Brandon

...and i like em both. Hell of a tough small block ....BUT....there is definately a difference. Driveability i'd go with the small block ....BUT ..... getting your heart rate up like the doctor suggest for us older farts... go the Big Block. The Big Block drives like a champ and don't do that bad on gas but the population gets all google eyed when they see that Big Block run. It's a street machine and even the wife request that i take her to the E.R. for treatment of whip lash when i put it to the floor from a signal. I guess i need to start telling her when i'm going to do that.

I have an original 68 340 GTS convertible and my son has a 67 Dart GT convertible with a 440. Both engines are basically stock and THERE IS NO QUESTION that the 440 car is more fun to drive, is faster, and in my case HANDLES AS WELL OR BETTER. It's all in how you build the car.

Say jim you wouldn't happen to have a chrysler/dodge/plymouth sign next to your carport/house?

440= hair raising torque.
340=Hair raising rpm/horse power.

In fact I found the business card with your #, so I we've met before.lol

Nope, no signs by the house. I try to keep a low profile even though we've got NINE vehicles plus a car trailer at my house that sits on a 10,000 Sq. Ft. city lot. The only outward sign that there's anything hidden away is the Big Block Dart stickers on the shell windows of my Power Wagon.

Oh yea you're going to get a lot of opinions on this question. First off these engine weights are with their factory supplied manifolds.
340-525#, 383-400=620 and 440=670
Keep in mind you can shed a lot of weight off the BB's by going to aluminum intake, aluminum water pump, headers and since you're looking at strokers aluminum heads.
Personally I've driven both A body SB's and own a A body BB and for the life of me I don't feel much of a difference, now I've lightened mine up further with a fiberglass hood so maybe I'm not making a fair comparison. But hey I just don't see any difference in the handling, maybe if I was racing it on a track I would and that's JMO.

Terry

who and of yall. I and u have proved nothing. we and may I get feeed back or replies. me am old and seeing this a body and a ? I look at this site. I and any one asks if I am not a member. I am sorry I have parts and Aar MOTORS I have owned and have mancini has asked me 4 the mancini has sold me a body bigblock partas I own some of the rare parts mopar ever produced.

-
Back