340 What's it worth?

-

74dusterman

74dusterman
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 1969 340 and I was wondering what it is worth. All the machine work is done on the block. It is bored .030 over, crank is polished, block is zero decked and was cooked out. I built the motor but I made a rookie mistake and forgot to check valve to piston clearance. It dropped an intake valve in #7 cylinder. It put a hole in the piston and wrecked the head.:mumum: :banghead: The other head is good. It is a J head that has been completely redone with stainless valves, new guides, and some porting work done. All of the machine work was done professionally by AOK engines in Minnesota. I pulled the cam and Intake for a 360 I had. The rest of the motor is there. Any ideas what it is worth? I would like to sell it so I can get started on my 67 camper special I bought. Thanks for your info.

If it's the 340 I've been looking for, it's worth a lot more to me than most. Got any numbers from the block?

I will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow along with the casting numbers. I am at work now.

Well, a std bore, 100% compleat 340, and I mean with the manifolds, proper carb, ect, in REBUILDABLE condition, could be 1000 or so..... so subtract accordingly, obviously, the heads are not original, what about the rest? And if its been built, and blown up to the the point of a busted head and broken piston, none of the previous machine work means much, as it will all need redone, or at least checked over. Most times a busted piston and head is gonna have a serious chance of a cracked cylinder

Are you saying it dropped a valve with the engine running and didn't hurt the cylinder? Pics would help.

I was going to type something intelligent , and then I looked at Rusty's new avatar.
For the first time in my life , I am now jealous of Herman Munster. LOL

Where is AOK ?
I know most of the guys who are good with MoPars in Mn. , but am not familiar with them.........yet.
If you had a piston to valve issue and only spanked one , I think that is a little odd.
Cam specs ?
Which pistons and how does #7 look now ? ( The cylinder )
If the bottom end is still sound , then why not slap new heads on it ?
As far as value , that is a tough call. You need to find the right person to get maximum coin and the details so far aren't going to drive the price up.

I gotta add ......... this sounds like a dropped valve more than putting a valve into the piston during run......either from not enough clearance or floating them.

It's a blown up long block. It might be a usable core already at .030 over. Personally I'd only risk it if I could personally visually inspect it prior to payment and in terms of a value - I would'nt pay over $300.

Value probably nowhere near what you want it to be. Could need a sleeve in that cylinder. I'm with Moper on this one. Too many bad possibilities.

A GOOD 340 BLOCK GOES FOR 500.00 here and a good long block goes for 1000 easy and when I say good I mean it needs basic machine work and no cracks and a rebuild.

last motor i had make contact with piston to valve, was junk. alot of unseen damage can happen when contact is made at high rpm.

All of the intake valves were slightly tapping the pistons. One valve stem broke and the valve head went thru the center of the piston and stuck there. It did not wreck the cylinder. My phone will not let me upload the photos so I will try when I get home from work. The numbers on the pad are OB183694 and the casting numbers are 2780930-340-6 it was cast on 7/14/69. AOK engines is located in central Minnesota near Brainerd. I don't want to stick any more money into it. I have a 360 in my Duster now. I know I wont get what I have into it but if I can't get a decent price for it it will sit on the engine stand for a while. I had 6 miles on the motor when it blew and was only at 3200 rpm. It was my own stupidity that caused it.

Its worth what someone will pay for it. My question is what he thinks its worth?

Its worth what someone will pay for it. My question is what he thinks its worth?

My answer is how much you got ? :D
I guess if the numbers are something a person needs.....but don't see a block needing machine work going for 500.00.
But then I have never been restoration guy.
If I am laying out green , especially for a performance build , I want more than a certain casting number.

well..I had a 340 drop a valve back in 2002....but the big old trw piston shoved it back into the cylinder head and destroyed the chamber.....piston had a small nick in it...nothing happened to the cylinder...put another set heads on it....and raced it for another two season....good old standard bore 340 too....engine is still together today.

It's worth what someone will pay and it's the buyer that assumes all risk. So I wouldn't expect much from it.

It's a tore up motor. Scrap is around 13 bucks per ton. That's what it's worth.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 238
  • motor2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 216
  • motor3.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 205
-
Back