340 with A/C lower pulley ?

-

Junior340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the outer A/C drive pulley separates from the other two. I would like to take it off it looks very heavy with the rubber damper attached so I bet heavy. Or do I need a new pulley? I can remove and find but would nice to know ahead.
The engine is a `68 340 that replaced the 273 with factory air in my `67 Dart GT

KIMG1582.jpeg

I think its part of the other pulleys. You should be able to find a 2 groove to replace it. If weight is your concern I wouldnt sweat it, that is not adding much weight to the assy. I personally dont like unused pulleys, makes it look incomplete.

I think its part of the other pulleys. You should be able to find a 2 groove to replace it. If weight is your concern I wouldnt sweat it, that is not adding much weight to the assy. I personally dont like unused pulleys, makes it look incomplete.
I agree if it's not used take it off. I will look at Spring Fling for a two groove. Thanks

There were both made. Addon pulleys were common to aftermarket or dealer installed a/c. Your pic does look like the addon type. There is really only one way to know for sure. I'm thinking the last one piece 3 belt pulley offered here was priced at 40. The addon should be worth 30 if the rubber isn't totally shot.

There were both made. Addon pulleys were common to aftermarket or dealer installed a/c. Your pic does look like the addon type. There is really only one way to know for sure. I'm thinking the last one piece 3 belt pulley offered here was priced at 40. The addon should be worth 30 if the rubber isn't totally shot.
I might make the A/C operational again someday so I better hang on to it. A/C is not needed where I live but I do travel to some hot places. It does have the Airtemp sticker on passenger rear side glass, and A/C is on the build sheet. But with a non original engine who knows where pulley came from.
Thanks for the info.

That pulley weighs 7-8 lbs compared to the performance ratio march pulley at 1lb! Ask your engine builder if its good to reduce your rotating weight by 7 lbs.

That pulley weighs 7-8 lbs compared to the performance ratio march pulley at 1lb! Ask your engine builder if its good to reduce your rotating weight by 7 lbs.

Yes but that extra weight probably goes a long way when the ac cycles. But I agree, ditch the heavy oem part and get a lightweight two groove. I have all march aluminum pulleys on my 340 and they are sweet. It was a pita to get the right pulley for my fluidampr but they finally got it right after a couple trys.

I agree that looks aftermarket. My 440-6 had "knee knocker" third party AC, and a pulley like that. It actually ended up on the 340 I swapped into the car later!!!! Modified the bracket to mount the compressor!!!

So I just need a 2 groove lower pulley same diameter?
340 pulley's are nothing special in other words?

-
Back