340?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
is it ready to assemble,already assembled or laying behind the barn buried in mud?

Year? Cast or forged crank? Cast or forged pistons? 1:88, 2:02, what kind of heads w or w/o port work? Cam? Hydrolic, solid, roller? Std bore or already .060 over. Alot of variables that will determine the value. Given pretty much no info to go on.

he bought the car last summer original 73 340 roadrunner previous owner put a 318 in it 340 layed in the weeds for about 10 years the motor is completly broke down and in excellent shape nice thing about alaska things take alot longer time to deteriate any ways just the block and heads

If never bored, I would guess at least $200. To someone who needs a correct PN for a Roadrunner, probably much more. Most important is to list all the numbers on the block and head, both cast-in and engraved. There was a special 340TA engine with offset adjustable rockers around those years. Search that. They are very desirable.

If it sat outside I would be concerned about cracks from water freezing and expanding. Something to think about?

I just picked up a complete 72 340 w 587 heads on it for $100. Cast crank and low compression pistons are not real desirable, but the block is good to make something out of. Mine is oily and been sitting in a garage since the late 80s. I dont value it at much, but i do see dreamers advertise them for stupid money just because it says 340 on the side of the block. The 72 and 73 340s stock went no better then an early 318.

If I knew the story I woulndt pay more than $100. Reason being tarped or not, outside in freezing conditions means possible cracks and paying more to make sure it's good before I do anything else with it. Now if I just saw it for sale, had the chance to really look it over and it looked good, $3-400 for a long block. If bare heads and block, $200.

I just picked up a complete 72 340 w 587 heads on it for $100. Cast crank and low compression pistons are not real desirable, but the block is good to make something out of. Mine is oily and been sitting in a garage since the late 80s. I dont value it at much, but i do see dreamers advertise them for stupid money just because it says 340 on the side of the block. The 72 and 73 340s stock went no better then an early 318.

you may be right there but you can pick up 318 for a dime a dozen 340 are not as easy to aquire sure there out there most people wont sell them so most people are willing to pay stupid money for them the ole man had it sold a few weeks ago for 700 bucks but he changed his mind.like i said before to the block is in excellent shape our winters here in alaska are alot different than lower 48 we dont get the damp wet snow falls rarly a freezing rain condensation is not an issue you can have a vehicle sit in the weeds for years like the roadrunner sat for ten half an hour we had it runnin again drove it around the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back