340rocker oiling

-

dgoplen

Reaction score
just curious if anyone knows how much oil should be on the rocker arms of a 340 when running ,I have the valve covers off and there is barely any oil. shouldnt it be running all over? the rockers just oil out of the 2 ports 1 on each head coming to the shaft right?

The rockers only pass oil to the shaft for about 10° of cam rotation, which spins at half the crank rotation. So there should be oil present, but it doesnt "pour" out of them. There should be enough to fill the cavity around the shaft in the stamped rockers and run out over the valve tips. The pushrod sockets are splash fed.

while it was running i didnt see much at all and it was still kinda of ticking like lifter noise on both heads.if i crank the motor over should it squirt out of the oil passage on each head?i am wondering know if the head gaskets i changed are blocking oil flow to rockers?

If you want to see, you can remove the rocker shaft(s) and the spark plugs (so it turns over easier, then turn it with the starter a couple turns. You will have oil squirt out of the rocker pedestal but be careful, it's at the system oil pressure...lol. Ticking may be sloppy rockers on the shafts if things are worn too. Or lifter preload, or too much lifter bore clearance.

i have been fighting this since i changed head gaskets,to the8553 new pushrods now,they are tight i have like 60 psi running but not much at the rockers ,i wanna see if i have oil at the rockers or not ,is a particcular shaft on 1 side or the other?

whats puzzling is this engine ran great until i changed head gaskets,i didnt measure the old ones i suspect they were the thin mopar kind.after i put it back together its been ticking like a few bad lifters.i bought a pushrod length checker and they werea bit short .0 preload about 7.520 so i bought the 7.550 to get me in the .020 -.040 preload range.it now still makes this noise,i switched rockers on either head and will start it tomorrow again.but last time i ran it with valve covers removed it seemed very little oil at all on the rockers or shafts.i cant imagine that a head gasket would be in wrong and block the passage on each side.the new pusrods are hollow the other ones arent.the gaauge says 60 psi at 1000 rpm.

If you removed the shafts, did you put them back on in the proper orientation? There is a notch at one end of the shaft. On the driver side the notch should be in front and facing down, on the passenger side it should be in the back and facing down, that is if you're running the stock shafts.

If you removed the shafts, did you put them back on in the proper orientation? There is a notch at one end of the shaft. On the driver side the notch should be in front and facing down, on the passenger side it should be in the back and facing down, that is if you're running the stock shafts.

I didnt think of that... this is another good possibility if you've been in there already.

Also, IF you are running edelbrock heads, are you using the supplied necked down ARP head bolt that allows for oil flow?

I didnt think of that... this is another good possibility if you've been in there already.

If they are not oriented properly, you won't get proper oiling. When I put mine together last spring I wasn't paying attention and put them on wrong. As I was doing a final check before buttoning things up I noticed it, had to take them off and switch em around. That's why it sticks in my head now. :eek:ops:

stock heads,i moved rockers to other side and strted it still noise there,it seems like the noise is lifter area not really rockers oil comes out pretty good on driver side but pass side seems alot less. does anyone know how tight the pushrods should be when you shut it off and try to spin them or make the rockers slide side to side? running out of ideas now .

You haven't commented on the proper orientation, are the shafts installed as I described in my previous post?

EDIT: Do you have the rockers on correctly? They are angled for intake and exhaust.

the rockers come in pairs....a left and right for each cylinder...

the shafts have a notch on them...the notch goes down and towards your left..

driver side...shaft notch is towards radiator and down..
pass side...shaft notch is towards firewall and down...

Wonder if the hole in the head gaskets is clogged with gorilla snot or some kinda sealer????

Did you sheck to see that the hole was clear when you scraped your old gasket?

Seems to me if it changed with a head gasket change, something is amiss.

I was thinking oil feed hole issue. Small piece of gasket scraping? How is the oil pressure on the engine?

Dont some of the head gaskets only go on one way? Maybe those were the older ones. Now they are idiot proof..?? But, he did say they were getting oil, just not much....

Possibly the cam bearing wasnt installed quite right, half a hole off, and hes just now noticing the low oil supply...?

Was the engine rebuilt? I put a generous chamfer on the backside of the cam bearings where the oil hole up to the head is because I noticed a lot of blocks the holes don't completely line up. It may be the cam bearings are partially obstructing the passage. The only way to "know" is to either pull the head and try to flash a light down the hole or (preferred) pull the heads and cam and flash a light through the cam bores while you look from the deck surface down the hole.

-
Back