349 CI on the cheap

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda of a late reply but why not use the plentiful and cheap 1053 forged cranks from mopar 3.51" stroke,,i see them new as cheap as $299.00 0n ebay and there n.o.s american made parts,,already have the 318/340 mains,,wayne

Welcome Waynebo. I can not see a reason not to. If the crank checks out....All you need to do is the math to findout where the piston sits in the block and go accordingly.

Hey Rumble,,whatsssup...yea i did math and the 1.72" pin height is perfect..

3.51"/2= 1.755" + 1.72"= 3.475" + 6.123"= 9.598"

I allready scored a crank a few week ago,i have an 86 318 roller block and picked up a complete set of oem hyd. roller tappets with dog bones and the spider for $45.00 on ebay..now watching for the perfect hyd. roller cam..

I found the perfect piston for this at summit,or other places,,part #TRW-8K285NCP.. I now need too score a set of pushrods off ebay to keep cost down,,this should be a low buck yet very well performing combo,,i have a set of 302 and 574 mopar 340 replacement heads as well as 2 set of w2's and a couple of sets of j heads,,so i gotta decided,,i'm thinking the 574's would be perfect,,good thread by the way,,i'm in,,waynebo

He he he, your plan is alot like my up coming season of head swaps and intake swaps. Going .030 on the block? 342 cubes? Nice.

Your new here, where ya been else where? Or otherwise? Planning evil things I see.

I just finished a new 322 CI engine and waiting for good weather to give it a try, then back to the 349 for finishing.
There will be a new thread for the 322 and videos, you guy's won't believe it when you see it run. Just yesterday we did some 20 ft shots to make sure that the engine wouldn't stumble, and it was hazeing the tires 29.5 X 10.5 15's slicks at 9 lbs of air. Now were looking for 1 weekend of good weather so we can try it out or we'll be waiting till next season, but our season will be back for testing in January so it'll only be a few weeks if not sooner.

Hey Rumble,,i'm waynebo at moparchat,,i'm the one that suggested to the young man that he might want to use ebelbrock air gap instead of the china made copy...thats why i'm doing the 3.51" crank,,its a leftover from american made,,and i also like the idea of tring something different,,i'm in it for fun ya know..

BJR got a good thread going here,,i beleive this is the new wave of smallblocks,,the 318 is so plentiful,why not.if 302 ford can do it the 318 should do even better,,they have to buy a stroker kit to get 331" and a .060" 318" i beleive is 327",,which was chevys favorite..and i prefer the longer 3.31stroke than the bigger bore chevy 327". anyway,,good thread wayne

Wayne,
If you like this one wait till next week as right now we should be able to get the 322 engine out on the track, weather permitting, but it looks good for next week now. I'll list what I have in this engine also and it isn't much as in parts but lots of intensive labor. And the way that I see it is everyone has time and not much money so this is why I do these this way. Believe me you guys will love it, as were chomping at the bit to do testing.

Hey Rumble,,i'm waynebo at moparchat,,i'm the one that suggested to the young man that he might want to use ebelbrock air gap instead of the china made copy...thats why i'm doing the 3.51" crank,,its a leftover from american made,,and i also like the idea of tring something different,,i'm in it for fun ya know..

I figured as much, why change screen names. I'm me all over....so everone can love and hate me all over the place.
And your not the only one here doing this for fun, craps and giggles and plain old wasting money going fast for fun.

I got more crap lined up than I have money for....but, theres a light at the end of this tunnel I'm in.

Wayne,
If you like this one wait till next week as right now we should be able to get the 322 engine out on the track, weather permitting, but it looks good for next week now. I'll list what I have in this engine also and it isn't much as in parts but lots of intensive labor. And the way that I see it is everyone has time and not much money so this is why I do these this way. Believe me you guys will love it, as were chomping at the bit to do testing.

:thumbup: lets hear about your tnt..always gotta iron out bugs on a new one,but hows it going,,wayne [email protected]

Won't know til Sunday but videos will follow if it doesn't rain, and if it does I'll video the rain.,,,,,,LOL

Well, I've been following this post for some time. I'm the kind of guy who likes to do things different, and the thought of running a 349 in the Dart is cool to me. I'm not even looking for anything crazy..just somthing in the 450-ish hp range.

Well, tomorrow I pick up a virgin 318 block, 302 heads, and MP forged stroker crank from a friend. I have no intention of building this motor any time soon, but it never hurts to stockpile a few parts.

Sublime,
The engine ran 7.53 @96 mph and this was after we had fuel issues the first week and then the gremlins came back the second weekend, so we bought a new fuel pump and fuel cell and new lines, and replumbed the entire system. And now we have to wait til the tracks reopen for a update, but we will also be changing the intake manifold to a M-1 from a Torker 340 manifold, but we are also adding a rollbar for saftey reasons, so the car will still run fast but may not get the intended goals that I had first set but should be close to them. But we'll wait and see. We've only had really one day to sort this engine out and try different things. So far we went from not running to running 7.53 on the first day. I'll keep you and everyone else posted as we get the time slips.

this is nice bjr.. should maybe do something for the 273 guys that want to keep their original motor... for number reasons

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt a 322 a 318 .30 over?

Bjr.

Are these 1/8 mile times. Are you running alc? or pump

Sunlime,
Yes your right it is a 318 .030 and yes they are 1/8 mile times and yes we are running alcohol because its as cheap as pump premium and way less than race gas for the amount of compression that we have in the engine.

Thats pretty impressive. That calc out to 11.92 in the 1/4 by the calculator i used. Can you start a thread on this moter? With the build.

In the words of Darth Vader

Impressive, Most Impressive. lol

I just sat here and read this thread from start to finish. I must say I can't see any reasonable logic in building this 349 inch motor. $4,400 isn't cheap for a de-bored 360 with stock heads. Some people have the right idea on motor combos. I'm not in any way trying to dowm anyone's idea but I think some people are greatly mistaking the power range of this combo. In the last twenty years I have built every thing from a 192" strait 6 to a 738" 5.000 bore space pro mod motors. I have built about 15 small block mopars of various sizes and parts combo's. One of the nicest ones I have seen was a .030 over 360, 10.3 to 1 edelbrock performer rpm heads, m1 intake and a comp hyd 305/525 cam. Motor pulled hard to 6500, would melt the tires as long as you wanted it to stepping on it from a dead stop. Runs fine on pump gas and sound totaly awesome. I think total price on the motor build was around $3100 with new heads, roller rockers, cam & lifters, forged pistons, used intake and all machine work.
Something I learned many years ago, stock mopar small block heads just aren't good for making much power, unless you have a set of w2's I would never use a pair of stock casting heads. Not even magnum heads. Heads are where you are going to make your power. the edelbrocks are really nice and make power for the money and use all stock valvetrain parts. If you want more power and have a little more money to spend Brodix makes a pair of bolt on heads that use all stock valvetrain parts that have damn good flow numbers and can get you over that 500hp and close to 600 in street trim.
Just some food for thought on a more logical and less expensive way to make good reliable power

What kind of ET and MPH did this engine run? at $3,100.00 and what weight?

I also do fuel engines so what are you trying to tell me?

Brodix heads are $1,800.00 or more and $3,100.00 total, sorry you said Edlebrocks nuf said.

I'll take stock

7.80s in the 1/8 with street tires. motor is in a 68 charger with ac, ps , pb 3.55 gears. car was built for the power tour. If you ever get this motor built I would hope it's put on a engine dyno.

What difference does it make if it's put on a engine dyno?
The idea was to use the 318 block as they are more plentiful than the 360's.

What kind of HP did the engine in this charger make to run 7.80's and what was the total weight of this car when raced?

I just sat here and read this thread from start to finish. I must say I can't see any reasonable logic in building this 349 inch motor.

As 318 blocks are everywhere and a 360 crank, used is ethier free from your destroyed donor or cheaply had, the build isn't as expensive as other builds and provides a different angle on doing something different.

I would not do this build myself. But someone else might have such parts hanging around doing nothing. They may have not thought about it or never did any research on how it could work. BJR did and showed how it can work. The real extra cost is in crank machining and if stock pistons are used, valve relief cutting. Which is cheaper than custom pistons that are on the shelf.
Speed-o-motive has kits for this build. Expensive.

Like I said, this is not what I would do, but I also have complete engines ready to go for building. I would not try and create this combo when I have parts ready (For building or not) and complete engines.

This is just another angle on building from spare parts and something you want to do. Want is also a thing that doesn't consider or care about cost.

What difference does it make if it's put on a engine dyno?
The idea was to use the 318 block as they are more plentiful than the 360's.

What kind of HP did the engine in this charger make to run 7.80's and what was the total weight of this car when raced?
We never had time to dyno the motor. The owner was in a hurry and wouldn't take an extra day to dyno it. As far as weight of the car I would guess some where around 3600 #s. I was just asking about to dyno to see if this motor would even come close to making the power your thinking it might make. I haven't personaly messed with mopars in a few years but I don't ever recall 360s being hard to find, I understand 318s are everywhere. I always had a hard time finding 340 blocks. There is just no way I would turn a stock 360 crank down to 318 mains. As far as stock mopar a motor heads go I wouldn't waste the time doing a valve job on them if i was wanting any kind of decent power. Cylinder head technology has come a long way in the last 10 years or so and prices have come down to not use new heads. I just couldn't justify building a smaller, weaker, less power more expensive motor.
To each is their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back