349 CI on the cheap

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well 40 over out of the question I wonder if I can find an off the shelf 70 over piston By my reckoning that would allow a "357" badge add a set of Magnum heads and call me "Dirty Hairy-this is the most powerful 318 on the planet so you gotta ask yourself ,Do ya fell lucky ? well punk do ya ? " hahaha . good luck at the track eh

Let us know how you go bjr!
Always interested in your setups!

Well 40 over out of the question I wonder if I can find an off the shelf 70 over piston By my reckoning that would allow a "357" badge add a set of Magnum heads and call me "Dirty Hairy-this is the most powerful 318 on the planet so you gotta ask yourself ,Do ya fell lucky ? well punk do ya ? " hahaha . good luck at the track eh

Talked to my machinist last week he says offset bore the 318 and use an OFF THE SHELF STROKER PISTON at 4.0 bore, this piston already has the valve reliefs in it. Use a 4.0 crank and you got a whopping 402 cubic inches. Forget that machining Cast piston CRAP!!!!!! I have a set that was done and I would not even use them in a LAWN MOWER they look like SHITTTTTT!!

Talked to my machinist last week he says offset bore the 318 and use an OFF THE SHELF STROKER PISTON at 4.0 bore, this piston already has the valve reliefs in it. Use a 4.0 crank and you got a whopping 402 cubic inches. Forget that machining Cast piston CRAP!!!!!! I have a set that was done and I would not even use them in a LAWN MOWER they look like SHITTTTTT!!

I will post some pictures later today of these BITCHIN machined pistons....
You will see for yourself that they are CRAP!!

Mad Dart, not every 318 can go to the stock 360 bore nor is this route desired by some for what ever reason. Argueing the direction of stroking an engine in this thread is not the issue at hand.

Bobby is just showing what could be done and not taking the normal route of the simpler route of massive overbore and off the shelf cranks to get mass cubes.

Mad Dart, not every 318 can go to the stock 360 bore nor is this route desired by some for what ever reason. Argueing the direction of stroking an engine in this thread is not the issue at hand.

Bobby is just showing what could be done and not taking the normal route of the simpler route of massive overbore and off the shelf cranks to get mass cubes.

I sent you a PM..........

Thanks MADDART for your input but this is about doing something a little different , I don't want a 4" stroke for this block because I drive this car everywhere and the big stroke motors tend to have longevity problems due to the massive sidewall pressures caused by the over stroke , this build is about a compromise by adding a little more stroke through a 360 crank and a little more compression to gain a whole lot more power and torque , the over bore questions are about cleanup more than displacement and for the record I am looking at all forged internals on this baby so your cast comments aren't relevent either . In the end if I wanted to go that big I would scrap the numbers matching motor I have and buy a cheap crate motor but I like being able to point to the serial pad on the block when I say " this is the 318 the car was built with "as Apu would say "thank you please to being coming again"

my question is....
i read its got a 3.51" crank stroke? now..
how do 318" pistons clear that stroke? the counter weights will interfere
with the pad material below the pin location...and hit the crank?
yrs back i wanted to put pop up 340 pistons into a 360 block and crank..
and the counter weights hit teh piston....?

cheapst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back