354 or 392? Hemi? Questions?

-
The thread was about the Chrysler Hemi engines. That's what I was referring to. I assure YOU that the small block distributor is not a drop in for those. I have one hangin on the engine stand less than 50 feet away I built nut by bolt.

C'mon RRR, that's exactly what I said. All of the Chrysler's need a different length intermediate shaft for an LA dizzy to work.

But a lot of people can't tell the difference between a Chrysler Hemi, a Dodge Hemi or a DeSoto Hemi. Which is probably where the confusion came from. An LA dizzy will drop right into a 241 or 270 Dodge Hemi. But not a Chrysler, and not a DeSoto, and not even a later tall deck Dodge.

392 in my 32 bantam. Long block has low compression pistons and better rods, .400 lift @ the valve solid lifter cam and dual valvesprings. That's it. Swap meet blower,Hilborn injected on gas and super mag 3. Goes 9 flat @150. Very little maintenence. Early hemis are fun!

Attachments

• 392 hemi.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 242
... And the tall deck dodges, the low and tall deck Chrysler's, and the low and tall deck DeSoto's all take different length intermediate shafts.

Actually, the LOW deck Chrysler takes the same distributor shaft length as the TALL deck Dodge and TALL deck DeSoto's.

And I believe the low deck DeSoto is the same length as the low deck Dodge; which is the same length as the LA small block length like you said.

The TALL deck Chrysler 392 length is unique.

392 in my 32 bantam. Long block has low compression pistons and better rods, .400 lift @ the valve solid lifter cam and dual valvesprings. That's it. Swap meet blower,Hilborn injected on gas and super mag 3. Goes 9 flat @150. Very little maintenence. Early hemis are fun!

That's awesome. ....and that's another thing people get carried away with on these engines. The cam I have in my 331 is only a .435 lift solid. The exhaust rockers are VERY long and if you get up in lift and spring pressure, you risk breaking them. It's all about reliability......and built right, they are dead reliable.

That's awesome. ....and that's another thing people get carried away with on these engines. The cam I have in my 331 is only a .435 lift solid. The exhaust rockers are VERY long and if you get up in lift and spring pressure, you risk breaking them. It's all about reliability......and built right, they are dead reliable.

Rusty, explain to us how a 26 is less hemi, than an old hemi. the 26 is more of a "in one side out the other than the old ones" the later stage heads were even more so, so they could get bigger valves in them. back when I was racing A HEMI AND DRIVING ONE TO WORK (GOOD OLD DAYS) , A HEMI WAS ADVERTISED IN THE PAPER FOR CHEAP, I WENT AND LOOKED AT IT and told the guy it was a boat anchor, (was considered that at the time, pretty sure it was a392.) he was moving, and offered to give it to me to get rid of it. being full of myself (READ, STUPID), and a "hemihead", living in an apartment at the time, I didn`t want it. :wack:---bob sorry about the caps. figure pecker here---lol

Rusty, explain to us how a 26 is less hemi, than an old hemi. the 26 is more of a "in one side out the other than the old ones" the later stage heads were even more so, so they could get bigger valves in them. back when I was racing A HEMI AND DRIVING ONE TO WORK (GOOD OLD DAYS) , A HEMI WAS ADVERTISED IN THE PAPER FOR CHEAP, I WENT AND LOOKED AT IT and told the guy it was a boat anchor, (was considered that at the time, pretty sure it was a392.) he was moving, and offered to give it to me to get rid of it. being full of myself (READ, STUPID), and a "hemihead", living in an apartment at the time, I didn`t want it. :wack:---bob sorry about the caps. figure pecker here---lol

I believe it has to do with the angles of the valves. The early Hemi's were theoretically perfect, look at how wide the early heads are, and they built the cars around the engine. With the 426 they slightly compromised the valve angles to narrow the head to fit in a B body engine compartment. Same great design and basic strength.

I have A 354 in my 1969 Dart. It looks like it belongs there. The car was built as a cruiser. The lil Hemi gives it plenty of get up and go and the sound id pure Hemi. Lift the hood on cruise night and most non mopar guys don't know what they are looking at beside the fact they know its a HEMi. You can weld, so its probably best to fab your own Headers. I had mine made. The 833 tranny will work and as stated before a modified small block dizzy will work with the shaft Mod. Go for it, youll have a ride you can be pretty sure wont be parked next to you on cruise night. I'll put up a video in the next week or two.

Attachments

• .040 over 354.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 20141004_133432.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 20150303_112830.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 177
  • trans 833.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 160
My 354 is still sitting on a stand, has an unmodified 318 single point distributor in it and starts and runs beautifully. It is the pre O-ring version and I do not have a gasket under it but it engaged the drive gear enough for test purposes. Would I want to drive it that way for very long? No. Does it drop in and run? Yes. I will probably weld up the shaft on an electronic unit when I'm ready do drop it in a project. There is a short bell housing 331 also. A few places make tranny adaptors for the torqueflites and GM trannys. To put the early hemi where a small block has been you need to extend the mounts down and in about an inch on each side. There are some internet articles with the scoop on it. Basically the guy welded a plate on small block brackets that relocated the rubber mount hole. I have a Clarke Cortez 4 speed transaxle that bolts right up to the industrial bell housing pattern and the torqueflite adapter kit so it's been a real struggle trying to decide what kind of machine to put an early hemi in....

I put a 354 in a 79 truck, back in the late 80's

I think the truck mounts bolted up, also used the 727 in the truck

I don't remember about the oil pan

1006_zpsguisdn1p.jpg

-
Back