360 4 speed

-

maxxxx

Reaction score
i have a 69 dart with a 360 904 combo want to go 4 speed are the cranks drilled for the bushing 1977 360

from my limited experience some are and some aren't. If not use can use a pilot bearing for a mid 90s magnum w/ a manual trans . It fits in the area that the torque converter pilot fits. Just make sure the pilot part of your input shaft is not to long. If it is it can be cut. I'm sure someone on this site is better informed than I. good luck
Rick

My 78 360 was drilled for a pilot bushing but I am using the late model roller pilot bushing.

My 78 360 was drilled for a pilot bushing but I am using the late model roller pilot bushing.

Is there an advantage to using the roller bearing?Doing a clutch this winter
and thought about changing.

I don't really know if there is a perfromance advantage there doesn't seem to be but the roller bearing is only a couple of bucks more and all new vehicles use them so I figured why not.

There was one thing I did notice. It made reinstalling the tranny much easier. The end of the input shaft engages the roller bearing before the splines reach the disk, where its the other way around with the conventional bushing. This made it much easier to get the splines engaged and the bearing reatiner into the bell housing.

I don't really know if there is a perfromance advantage there doesn't seem to be but the roller bearing is only a couple of bucks more and all new vehicles use them so I figured why not.

There was one thing I did notice. It made reinstalling the tranny much easier. The end of the input shaft engages the roller bearing before the splines reach the disk, where its the other way around with the conventional bushing. This made it much easier to get the splines engaged and the bearing reatiner into the bell housing.

If it makes install easier im sold.I remember last time putting this in it was a real fight.Thanks dgc for your reply.

On sb's they are usually drilled but sometimes unfinished to size.
If the pilot hole isn't finished for the stock bushing you can use a thinner walled desoto bushing.

Crusher is right, DO NOT cut off the pilot off the shaft. It will greatly reduce the life of the input bearing and could damage the trans. You can trim some if your crank is not drilled deep enough as long as your using the late model (mid 90s) roller bearing that fits in the area the torque converter would register. Just make sure there is at least 3/4 in inserted in the pilot bearing.

hi,NAPA sells a bushing for cranks not drilled. part # is B286. I wouldn't shorten input shaft,

Crusher is right, DO NOT cut off the pilot off the shaft. It will greatly reduce the life of the input bearing and could damage the trans.

If your crank is not drilled and you use a bearing that goes in the outer register cutting the excess off the end of the input shaft that would normally go into the pilot hole of the crank will have no impact on input bearing life nor will it damage the tranny. The input shaft will be supported by the pilot bushing closer to the splines than with a conventional bushing.

Also, if you have an unfinished pilot hole that is not to full depth and use the thin wall bushing trimming the end of the input shaft that extends beyond the bushing to prevent it from bottoming out will not shorten the input bearing life nor will it damage the tranny.

The only reason not to do it is that it prevents the tranny from being used with a conventional pilot bushing in the future.

If the 360 is from a truck most definantly the crank is bored also remember to get an externally balanced flywheel

I bought the roller and the brass bushing.

I installed the brass bushing and have had my trans in and out three times already with no damage to the brass bushing.

I guess I got lucky, but i bought the roller bushing for a backup.

I put the brass bushing in the freezer overnight and installed it the next day and it dropped right in with no issues.

If it makes install easier im sold.I remember last time putting this in it was a real fight.Thanks dgc for your reply.

I know exactly what you mean... I said some words that mankind has never spoken trying to mount the motor to the trans while still in the car!

I learned a great deal that week.

-
Back