360 Balance

-

superdave

Reaction score
I have just bought a 360 which was in a 4 speed car.
What do I need to hook up to my 904 transmission?
I am concerned about an imbalance because the 360 is an external balance,where my 273 was internal.
I am planning on replacing the torque converter as well.
Thanks!
Dave

Get a B&M style flexplate that accounts for the engine balance.

Then you can use any neutral balance torque converter, 273/318/340.

How can I check to be sure the engine is internally or externally balanced to be sure?
I understand that a 360 can be made "neutral" balanced.
Just a bit confused.
Thanks!
Dave

all 360s from the factory are externally balanced....

only way they get internally balanced is when they are rebuilt and you add slugs of mallory metal to the crank journals...

look at the damper in the front of the engine....neutral balanced have thin balancer...externally will have like a weight offset of somekind...can be cut out also

If you got the flywheel with it then pull it off and look at the back side. You will see where metal has been removed to properly weight the flywheel for external balance. You should be able to tell by looking at the front damper on it and see the same thing unless someone has put an aftermarket one on it that isn't cut to balance it. As for a neutral balance (or internally balanced) 360, you would need to disassemble it and take it to a machine shop that has the equipment to weight each rod and piston then put a balance bob weight on each crank throw and balance it, adding or taking away metal from the crank to make it even. Not too bad if its being rebuilt but not so good if you plan on using it as is.

Larry

The flywheel was not included.
The engine was balanced at the machine shop.
The harmonic balancer appears stock and has a few small holes set into the edge of it.
The engine was infront of a 4 speed before and I am ging to use an auto.
Dave

Like cracked said,go with the B&M flexplate.
Then go with the Mopar Performance 360 harmonic balancer.
Thats the set-up in my car,and it boogies pretty good.

PS: Make sure you get the correct "thin" bolts for the flexplate,and red loctite them in.

The harmonic balancer appears stock and has a few small holes set into the edge of it.

A stock 360 harmonic balancer will be thick and give you some sort of indication that one side is weighted more than the other. Such as this...

a219%20Dodge%20360-01.jpg

If it looks the same all the way around, the person may have had the crank nuetral balanced, in which case you would have to look at the weights of the crank and see if it looks like there has been weight added by drilling and filling.

Get a B&M style flexplate that accounts for the engine balance.

Then you can use any neutral balance torque converter, 273/318/340.
WARNING 273 converters have a smaller neck that engages the crank!!!

different neck on some 67's and all earlier models. Spline count on 727's only.

I have a 73 Duster with a reman. 360, new damper, B/M flexplate. Stock convertor. I have a nasty vibration at highway speeds. Pinion angle was adjusted. Original builder did not know the actual balance of the motor. Speed shop believes it's the motor (damper or improper balance) I had a 318 in it before and had same vibration. Coincidene? or something else?

I have a 73 Duster with a reman. 360, new damper, B/M flexplate. Stock convertor. I have a nasty vibration at highway speeds. Pinion angle was adjusted. Original builder did not know the actual balance of the motor. Speed shop believes it's the motor (damper or improper balance) I had a 318 in it before and had same vibration. Coincidene? or something else?

When you say stock converter which engine was it for? If it was for a 360 or 340 and you used the B&M 360 external balance flexplate you will have a vibration. If the converter was for a 318 you'll be ok.

BTW: Welcome to the board and if you have a question like this again it's best to start your own thread. Some guys don't like it when you hijack their thread. Plus it gets confusing answering 2 different people in the same thread.

The convertor wasn't changed when I bought it. It had the 318 and vibrated. I changed to the 360 motor, new B/M flexplate= same vibration. Pinion angles adjusted. Tires/driveshaft balanced etc. Shop says motor is not balanced, but maybe the convertor was wrong before I bought the car

-
Back