360 Block for 408

-

69valiant21

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for 360 blocks for a 408 build eventually. Are some year blocks better than others? What should I be looking for and avoiding? Any info is helpful.

Only a sonic test will prove a block.

That said I've only seen one 360 that wouldn't go .060 and never found a 340 that wouldn't.

Latest ones you can find, so you can run rollers in it?

no, i was thinking late 90s, just before the magnums came along they made a run of roller rocker LAs...thats what i would look for
or, you could use a magnum of course

now, some people might argue the opposite way, to get one of the earliest you could find, because of better metallurgy

the 1974+ 360 blocks are better than 1971-3=they have a larger diameter main thrust bearing surface. the 360 magnum is 1993-2003. 1988-1992 360s had roller lifters, not roller rockers

the 1974+ 360 blocks are better than 1971-3=they have a larger diameter main thrust bearing surface. the 360 magnum is 1993-2003. 1988-1992 360s had roller lifters, not roller rockers
thats all the stuff i was thinking off, look for one of thems

I found a '71 long block for $150 with an engine stand. The guy says it ran good when he pulled it 5 years ago.

Like people said any will do
Roller LA is a bonus and magnum is OK if your going magnum heads which most aftermarket ones are.

i just have the one
its a 74 360 that came out of a motorhome (i believe i paid 300 for it, with the 727 transmission)
i didnt buy it intending to build a 408 out of it, simply to replace the worn out slant 6 in my duster

when i got it home i cleaned it up, had the heads freshened up, put in a different cam and a 4 barrel intake and called it good
about 1000 miles later i spun a rod bearing

thats when i dropped it off at MRL to have him rebuild it is as 408
nothing too wild, she makes 420 HP and 470 footpounds of torque

only thing i would change is the flat tappet to a roller cam so i dont need to worry about zinc content in the oil
but thats not that big a deal, wallmart carries STP zinc adder for 3 bucks a bottle or so

i just have the one
its a 74 360 that came out of a motorhome (i believe i paid 300 for it, with the 727 transmission)
i didnt buy it intending to build a 408 out of it, simply to replace the worn out slant 6 in my duster

when i got it home i cleaned it up, had the heads freshened up, put in a different cam and a 4 barrel intake and called it good
about 1000 miles later i spun a rod bearing

thats when i dropped it off at MRL to have him rebuild it is as 408
nothing too wild, she makes 420 HP and 470 footpounds of torque

only thing i would change is the flat tappet to a roller cam so i dont need to worry about zinc content in the oil
but thats not that big a deal, wallmart carries STP zinc adder for 3 bucks a bottle or so
You are overdue to post a Go pro video of you out hooning. Lets see it pal!

aftermarket roller will cost more than your motor. If I were starting over and going roller, hold out for an OEM roller year block.

aftermarket roller will cost more than your motor. If I were starting over and going roller, hold out for an OEM roller year block.
What do you mean more than my motor? More than $150 I paid for the long block?

-
Back