360 build or 340???

-

Marko

Reaction score
Well i have a 360 that was running good compression was almost 130ish even(none lower) and its nice would like to build a engine tho a bit more performance...Would people lean to a 340 to start from or the 360(this is a old 360 block not the magnum)..

Personally I lean towards building what I have an what fits my budget.

The 340's performance is legendary. The 360 can bebuilt into a screamer though.

Depends what your putting it in?Do you have a 340?If so,what year?If your running stock I vote 340,that,s just me though!

If you are building a moderate engine and have the 360 on hand, I would go with it. If you put the same quality parts in both engines, the 360 should be a little quicker just because it has more cubic inch's to start with. Parts for a 360 are a little easier to source as well.

Jack

Because you already have the 360, I would build that. However, all things being equal, I would take a 340 everytime.

I built a 360 to over 400 h.p. for less than $3500.00 and it is awesome. I had a couple of 340's back in the day, but they did not come close to this one

If you already have the 360 build that,but given the choice i'd build a 340 everytime..

Hemidavid,whats in your combo? over 400 h.p. for $3500.00 i'm interested..

Well, I say 360 for two reasons,
one, you have it already.
Second, there is no replacement for displacement. Part of what made me make my decision, was looking through Mopar Muscle, and realizing that, they don't build crate 340s. They only build 360s. There is a reason for that...[/thread] :)

Same with a 383 vs 400. Everyone shouts 383, 383! However, the 400 is just as strong, if not stronger. The problem is, everyone knows the 360 and 400 in the smog years, therefore think they're nothing, but, that just isn't so.

Tell me this. Would you stroke a 340 if you had one to build, and an unlimited budget?

If you answered yes to the above question, do you realize that is the only difference between a 340 and 360?

You gotta want the 340 to do a 340. If the 360 is in your lap, ..... it is a great street / strip performer. The bennifits of a 360 are 20 extra cubes and it's all in stroke , which gives more torque, the thing that gets you going.

Engine power peaks sooner because of this and the power output match a 340's with great ease. You'll really build it no different. It just doesn't need to rev higher to make the power.

The bigest issue for most people is finding a 340. Then the next big issue is the expense of the 340 block alone. For the price, you can get a entire 360 for less money.

Nothing beats a 340 bored 40 over with a med strip street cam.
Stock,they are known to beat the big block!

I know cause I have two on the go and two in storage.
in storage, I have one of the first 340 block ever built, in 67.

Dan :nike:

You gotta want the 340 to do a 340. If the 360 is in your lap, ..... it is a great street / strip performer. The bennifits of a 360 are 20 extra cubes and it's all in stroke , which gives more torque, the thing that gets you going.

Engine power peaks sooner because of this and the power output match a 340's with great ease. You'll really build it no different. It just doesn't need to rev higher to make the power.

The bigest issue for most people is finding a 340. Then the next big issue is the expense of the 340 block alone. For the price, you can get a entire 360 for less money.

Well said rumble!. I bought an entire carb to pan 360 form a 78 truck. Had a cam swap,4bbl intake and windage tray,plus it ran extremely well. $350. Try that with a 340..

Leave the 340 for the #s matching crowd.

Well said rumble!. I bought an entire carb to pan 360 form a 78 truck. Had a cam swap,4bbl intake and windage tray,plus it ran extremely well. $350. Try that with a 340..

Leave the 340 for the #s matching crowd.

Thanks. There was a 360 & 904 tranny on here for sale for $500

My last 360 was given to me by a good fella.

If you're gonna run a stock or close to stock motor the 340 will most likely have more compression. That will make more HP. The 360 will have more cubic inches. That's more torque. If you want to go stroker motor you can get more cubes out of a 340. They already come with more bore than a 360, just add a rotating asm. I'm pretty sure which ever way you go you'll be happy with it. Hell it's a small block MoPar!!!!!! Good luck

Like most have said... If you have the 360, just build the 360... Really you can build the 360 to do about anything a 340 would do. You just won't be able to tell people you have a 340...

340 to 360 in reality comes down to .... Do you want the 340 bragging rights.

OK, my son and I wanted to build his 340 we put into a 66 Cuda. Bored, stroked to ridiculous and 1/2 filled the block to give the walls some strength, balanced (forged) rotating assy and nailed down some aluminum heads. Topped off with a Demon and exhausted through 3" pipes. Thank heaven it was all on his budget. But it was well worth it......the Frankencuda does 10.28 at the Rock and around 6.29 at Pageland. (You can ride along, if you want, at http://www.eagleheart.com/frankencuda/8thrunjpd_inside.html )
Then there's my budget.....took a 71 vintage 360, $100, cleaned, bored .040, stroked to 408, H beam rods, Diamond pistons, (balanced), topped off with 340j heads, Air Gap and a Holley.......it all ends up with numbers around 400 hp and 475 tq. I can't keep up with Frankencuda, but a 0-60 in 6.4 seconds in my 78 D150 has embarrassed many others. And, for less than $3000! I love my truck!
My opinion.....the 360 is easier, cheaper, and more available....well worth the fun factor.

Street car? longer stroke will get my nod every time. They look the same. tell them it's a 318...lol

Build the 360. Aftermarket engine parts are easier to find and cheaper, more piston choices etc. You're rebuilding it, so you can set the compression up the way you want it anyway. The biggest drawback to the 360 is the cast crank and external balance, but you'd have to get an earlier 340 to get the forged crank anyway. And if you're planning on staying under 500 hp you won't need a forged crank to begin with.Good deals on 340's are getting hard to come by.

A modern rebuild and some fairly moderate upgrades can get the 360 over 400 hp with no reliability issues at all. Check out this page for dyno results from a bunch of 360's, should give you an idea of the kind of HP you can make with some minor upgrades. http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html

Realistically I think the 360 is just as good of an engine as the 340. The 340 might rev a little faster, but on that note the 360 should have slightly better torque all things being equal. The 340 just has more historical significance, but if you don't have a 340 car to begin with the 360 is the way to go, they're easier and cheaper to find and build.

Its kinda like a 6-pack setup. It sounds and looks cool because of the history behind it, but in reality a 4-barrel is easier to tune, cheaper to buy, and will get you just as much if not more power.

I would build and I am building a 360. 1 of many. Hard to beat. Mill your heads about .030 and run 9.5:1 pistons will bring you to about 10:1 comp.
Stock the 360 has lower comp. pistons about 8 1/2 :1. The 340 depending on the year at 10:1-9:1. What I do is strok it! .030 oversize will make a 408 out of your 360. Heres some help with pricing. Go to .040 and you get a 410 that will run away from a 440. The 10.7 is a missprint the kit comes with 9.7 pistons.

Ad #1322879 Posted:2009-04-04 10:07:44
This ad expires in 3 days.
CHRYSLER 408 STROKER KIT 10.7 PISTONS
WWW.CNC-MOTORSPORTS.COM CALL 800-341-1528

8009892294186-CHRYSLER-408-STROKER-KIT-107-PISTONS.jpg

$877.95
CNC Performance Kit, Chrysler 360/408, 4.000" Crank, 6.123" Rods, 9.7:1 KB Pistons

Description:
CNC-Motorsports Performance Rotating Assembly kit's are hand picked to deliver you reliable performance you can count on with out sacrificing quality, Yet maintain a very affordable price.

Kit Details
# New Eagle Cast Steel Crankshaft
# New Eagle SIR Lightweight Steel I Beam Connecting Rods ( Bushed Fit Pins)
# Keith Black Hypereutectic Pistons
# Performance Piston Ring Set
# Clevite 77 Performance rod and main bearing set
# Rotating kit will require balancing

Stroke Rod Piston/Pin Weight Dish/Dome CR w/62cc CR w/64cc CR w/68cc Ring Pack Piston Brand
4.000 6.123 483/106g Step Dish 23.5cc 9.9 9.7 9.4 5/64 5/64 3/16 Keith Black

Seller Phone Number: 800-341-1528

Hope this helps,
SD

Build the 360. Aftermarket engine parts are easier to find and cheaper, more piston choices etc. You're rebuilding it, so you can set the compression up the way you want it anyway. The biggest drawback to the 360 is the cast crank and external balance, but you'd have to get an earlier 340 to get the forged crank anyway. And if you're planning on staying under 500 hp you won't need a forged crank to begin with.Good deals on 340's are getting hard to come by.

A modern rebuild and some fairly moderate upgrades can get the 360 over 400 hp with no reliability issues at all. Check out this page for dyno results from a bunch of 360's, should give you an idea of the kind of HP you can make with some minor upgrades. http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html

Realistically I think the 360 is just as good of an engine as the 340. The 340 might rev a little faster, but on that note the 360 should have slightly better torque all things being equal. The 340 just has more historical significance, but if you don't have a 340 car to begin with the 360 is the way to go, they're easier and cheaper to find and build.

Its kinda like a 6-pack setup. It sounds and looks cool because of the history behind it, but in reality a 4-barrel is easier to tune, cheaper to buy, and will get you just as much if not more power.[/quote]

Very well said. And, if the cast crank worries you, stroke your already bigger displacement small block, getting a forged crank...also, the more you stroke it, the more inches :) and torque...oh, and get your mind out of the gutter...lol

If your going to stroke it,the 340 is the one to stroke you'll get more cubes out of it....

-
Back