360 build

-

madmick

Reaction score
am thinking of having a 360 built for my duster,i already have a block,heads, crank.etc the plan is to have the block machined +30, bottom end rebuilt,kb pistons,then edelbrock rpm cam,rpm heads,intake,just wondering what sort of hp this would make,the car is street driven,with some track use time to time,as a 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.55,s will either have a 727 or my 904 with a shift kit looking to 13,s would this be possible with the edelbrock package:dontknow:

13's shouldn't be any problem, but being that the heads have a rather large amount of port cc's you may lose some bottom end.

It better be faster than "in the 13s". Or you need to have a friend help you with it :) .

13's shouldn't be any problem, but being that the heads have a rather large amount of port cc's you may lose some bottom end.

I have 193 port cc with 2.76 gears and 29 inch tires and I like the botoom end. I do have the lower gear set in my 904 though too but I also have less stroke. With some 4.10's you should easily get into the 12's if you can get out of the hole.

a friend of mina has the performer rpm package in his 383smallblock malibu and it runs 7.99 in the 1/8 mile so 13´s should be peice of cake

Which ede camshaft? .420 lift or the .488/.510 lift cam?

The bigger cam has quite a bit of duration at .050. If you have power brakes you may want to look at a different, smaller, camshaft.

You don't mention a stall converter. If limited to stock, that big ede camshaft will be a HUGE dog down low. I'd suggest at least a 3000 stall with the larger camshaft. When you start getting over 230* at .050 lift, stall convertors become a necessity on stock stroke 360's.

my 2 cents... :)

Edlebrocks advertisement is for the 340 engine making 417 HP. The 360 will make slightly less. The bore is .040 smaller. The bigger stroke of the crank will be torque and more of it. Looking at the old advertisemnet for this, it is weak on the low end torque.

Use the KB107 piston and make sure it sits @ zero deck. Use a .040 gasket with the the corect size for the bore. (Fel_Pro makes a .039 thick gasket, but at a crazy 4.1 bore. )

This will be a real nice street package that should run mid 13's. A higher stall converter, higher rear ratio and a better suspension will get you into the high 12's if your willing to work it.
Use a better header than the 1 size fits all, hanging 3 tubes under the suspension type header and a 2-1/2 inch pipe.

BJR is right. It is a bit of head for the package on hand and with basicly a low gear set. Once your on the Hwy., it should move real well.

hello again,the only rpm cam listed from the supplier here in the uk is the higher lift .488in and .510ex,if i get the money together i was thinking of a 10"tci converter,but does this mean using a 727 or will it work with my 904?,i am by no means an engine expert,a lot of people over run with the full edelbrock package and it seems to be a proven formula,but any help from you guys in the states is most welcome.here,s a pic of my car

2007_0923_York_0144.JPG

Mick;

Edelbrock only makes 2 cams for the small block Chrysler. While not bad in spec and making a decent power showing, theres alot of cams out there. Don't get hung up on the "Matched package" slogan and don't get hung up on selecting a better cam. Thats an area of many opinions. About double and the squared to the amount of socks in your draw.

When you call tci, tell them what year, make, model, engine size you have and the model tranny you have. (If you swapped it, let them know if it is a lock up or not and if possible, the year of the tranny.) They'll set you up from there.

Nice Duster

With a 360, you shouldn't lose too much snap due to the big ports. And with aluminum heads, you can run more compression, helping low end response. I'm not sure Edelbrock used a lobe that takes advantage of the larger MOPAR lifter. Shop around for cams, you may be able to do better. 13's shouldn't be a problem as long as you release the parking brake.

-
Back