360 cam question

-

LOKOBRO

Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda, putting a 360 in it. We’re using stock manifolds, after market intake and 323 gears for now. 727 transmission. What cam should or could we use? K20-223-3?

I should mention we want a noticeable idle and the exhaust will be 2 1/4 possibly 2 1/5

Last edited:
What is a K20-223-3?

Who makes it?
Do you have a link to it or know all the specs to write out?

Oh, I’d do a 2-1/2 exhaust. TTI has a full exhaust system designed to bolt up to what ever manifolds you have. Just have the numbers off of the manifold for TTI so they can bend the pipes right for that exact manifold. You can use there supplied Dynomax turbos or delete them from the kit and use whatever you want to use.

What is a K20-223-3?

Who makes it?
Do you have a link to it or know all the specs to write out?
Probably this one. Xtreme Energy 224/230 Hydraulic Flat Cam K-Kit for Chrysler 273-360

1706375002207.png

If such is the case, with 3.23’s, a stock tire diameter will be as big as I would go. I’m running the roller version w/3.55’s on a 26 X 10 tire and 2500 stall. Believe me, more stall and gear would be really good to run with. Unless you’re on the interstates.

Thanks Mike. Don’t you think that’s something the thread starter should have posted himself to start with. I don’t know every part number in my memory. Why should I or we look it up for him?
Screw that!
100% agree. Curiosity was killing me so I looked it up. My crystal ball is broken. :lol:

Didn’t mean to be so vague, COMP cams referring to the previous part number I mentioned. Learning as I go here, I’ll try to be more specific in the future. Here’s a link to what I’m referring to. COMP Cams K20-223-3 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits | Summit Racing
I’m sure I’m missing info
Thanks Mike. Don’t you think that’s something the thread starter should have posted himself to start with. I don’t know every part number in my memory. Why should I or we look it up for him?
Screw that!

What size tire are you using on the back?
IMO, the cam is a little large for 3.23’s and a taller than stock tire. Kind of boarder line with a stock tire. A lot depends on the stall the converter has.

If I was using a stock converter and 3.23’s, I’d option for a smaller cam. One with 218@050 as a max duration. I’ve done that combo before. Good mileage is still possible with a cam @218@050. It’ll make power until approximately 5500 rpm. It should be capable of high 14 second 1/4 times. You’ll probably cross the finish line just as you shift into 3rd gear.

IMO, the cam is a little large for 3.23’s and a taller than stock tire. Kind of boarder line with a stock tire. A lot depends on the stall the converter has.

If I was using a stock converter and 3.23’s, I’d option for a smaller cam. One with 218@050 as a max duration. I’ve done that combo before. Good mileage is still possible with a cam @218@050. It’ll make power until approximately 5500 rpm. It should be capable of high 14 second 1/4 times. You’ll probably cross the finish line just as you shift into 3rd gear.
245/60/15 tire height 26” tall. I’ll pass this on to my brother. He’s the mastermind behind all this, lol. I’m his apprentice with a lot to learn

He also mentioned it’ll be 3.55 in the future and 28” tall tire. Max converter is from a 340 car which measures 11”. He thinks the converter is about 2000 stall.

I went with the smaller version in my 360 the ex256, at the time I had manifolds, stock stall with 318 heads on my stock 360 bottom end. It was a decent cruiser motor. But now I changed the whole concept it’s currently same cam and bottom end. Now j-heads home blended bowls intake matched, headers and a dual quad tunnel ram with ptc3k stall. I haven’t drove yet I’m expecting it to be a pig with 3.27 gears.

OP, I hope you (or your brother) have done your homework on this swap. A 360 and early A exhaust manifolds can have some pretty significant fitment issues, depending on the year of the 360; or more importantly, the year of the heads you're using... as well as multiple other issues if you're swapping from a slant 6- there's more differences than you may realize. Start using the search feature in the "Early A Body" section.
Search results for query: 360 manifolds
1965 MOPAR, 273 Exhaust Maifolds

Are you kidding? It's a lightweight 65 Barracuda, with a 360, and those tiny/squat wheelhouses;
put a 318 cam in it and it will still roast those 245s all thru first gear and beyond.
If you can't live without a lumpy idle just install a thumper/whiplash, the little one.
Make sure the rearend has a Suregrip in it, or you'll be replacing it pretty quick.

With 3.23s and 28s;
yur engine is gonna need some low-rpm torque, altho, with a 360, that shouldn't be a problem, until you upcam too far.
But again, with 3.23s and 28s; for a streeter, there is no point in much more than a 318 cam, cuz in Second gear, you won't normally ever get to the powerpeak anyway. For instance, 4000=64 mph at 10% convertor slip, 5000=80 mph.
So all that "nasty" cam you're contemplating, is doing, is;
scrubbing cylinder pressure, and
smoking the tires thru First gear,
and sucking gas all the time.
Plus
if you don't bring the cylinder pressure up along with the cam install, things are gonna get lazy. You may have a lil wiggle room on this, due to your low elevation.
--------------------------------------------------------
If it was me;
I'd just leave the factory 360 2bbl cam in there until I be ready for more rear gear. and if I did that, any old exhaust would be fine until then.
But I would slam a higher than 2000 stall in there. I really like a 2800.

Last edited:
AJ has made his usual mistake of assuming you have no control over your right foot and will only slam things and just “Spinning tires….”

Scrub that line and I’m agreeing with this a bunch. Except spinning the tires like crazy and the cam being to big. It’s the tire and gear combo I’m not to fond of. I gave you my read above.

It’ll still be fun.

yeaaaah
and who puts 360 into a 3000 pound car with 245s , to idle it around listening to the "noticeable idle? Hmmmmmmmmmma . I can read between the lines.

If you don't like my posts just "drive thru"; like I do yours

yeaaaah
and who puts 360 into a 3000 pound car with 245s , to idle it around listening to the "noticeable idle? Hmmmmmmmmmma . I can read between the lines.

If you don't like my posts just "drive thru"; like I do yours
LMAO!

:thumbsup:

Love your posts! Minus the disparaging remarks against members who can’t control their right foot, or so you think.

I think you’re very helpful and should be read. Run the roller XE274 and it’s just fine at idle and a mild depressing of the gas pedal. While I don’t listen to the idle, it does so just fine through the super market parking lot, traffic, where ever.

Drive through?!?! Never!

Though I will say your claim to be able to read between the lines, well, it actually a bad claim because you suck at reading between the lines. Perhaps your looking for something that’s simply just NOT there & making the mistake of “ASSUMING.”

I’m on the verge of suggesting a therapist for yourself.

Oh! Lest I forget….
Because I know you love these guys…. A lot!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now if FABO “ONLY HAD DANCING MONKEYS!!!!”

What a wonderful show that would be….

Hit it boys!!! Enter crazy monkey dancing music and lots of dancing monkey emojis!!!!

LMAO!

:thumbsup:

Love your posts! Minus the disparaging remarks against members who can’t control their right foot, or so you think.

I think you’re very helpful and should be read. Run the roller XE274 and it’s just fine at idle and a mild depressing of the gas pedal. While I don’t listen to the idle, it does so just fine through the super market parking lot, traffic, where ever.

Drive through?!?! Never!

Though I will say your claim to be able to read between the lines, well, it actually a bad claim because you suck at reading between the lines. Perhaps your looking for something that’s simply just NOT there & making the mistake of “ASSUMING.”

I’m on the verge of suggesting a therapist for yourself.

Oh! Lest I forget….
Because I know you love these guys…. A lot!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
You missed a couple :poke: :rofl:

You missed a couple :poke: :rofl:

LOL! Well, I hope that AJ finds his sense of humor he lacks with me. He’s a great guy and will probably miss this post after viewing my laugh-A_lot post.

I also hope he finds his controlling powers over his left foot again.

LOL! Well, I hope that AJ finds his sense of humor he lacks with me. He’s a great guy and will probably miss this post after viewing my laugh-A_lot post.

I also hope he finds his controlling powers over his left foot again.
Maximum performance you know. LMAO

what's the compression on the 360? what "aftermarket intake"? i'm guessing LA 360 and not magnum, because that would be a whole 'nother ball of wax.

compression is going to be the name of the game here. if you stab that cam into a mid 70's 2bbl 360 with 8.5:1 compression it's gonna run like a wet fart sounds.

RF is on the money with those numbers being about as big as you wanna go before serious considerations of stall and gear come into play. the intake is less of a concern, but topping that combo off with some tarantula lookin' single plane and giant double pumper would lead to less than ideal satisfaction in the performance department.

-
Back