360 casting number

-

John Collins

Reaction score
My engine casting number is 4006830-360-9. What does the 9 stand for? I’ve looked around, but only found one result that was for
4006830-360-4 and someone stated that the 4 designated how many changes that have occurred since the 360 came out to correct the thin walls. Any clarity would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

The 9th. revision to the pattern for the casting. It could be a change to the mold for the casting or to the core.

The dash 9 reflects the number of core up dates preformed at the foundry, nothing to worry about

I read somewhere that these had thicker walls, but I don’t know **** and my opinion means nothing here. 3418915

That is what the mopar engine book said...has the same water jacket location as the 340 block....

stopped those in 73 went they stopped making the 340.....

Good to know. I have a 3810230 360-6. Also, kinda on the topic, when did the 360 go to aluminum passenger side exit water pumps? Mine is a iron drivers side exit.

Since the 360 first appeared in 1971....they all should have the aluminum passenger side water pump.....does not mean someone else changed it..

I’m new to mopars and engine configurations. It’s a 67 barracuda that originally had a 273. Sounds like the timing cover and water pump could have been swapped to keep the original radiator. Half of the fun of being a second or fifth owner of a car is figuring out what is what.

-
Back