360 Crankshaft in a later 318??

-

belmateo

Reaction score
I was wondering if this can be done as I don't know if the crankshaft journals are the same. Has anyone done this?
Can it be done?
Thanks

Yes, after cutting the main journals down. Waste of time in my opinion with the avaliable aftermarket cranks out there

I was wondering if this can be done as I don't know if the crankshaft journals are the same. Has anyone done this?
Can it be done?
Thanks

Yes, you can have the main journals of the 360 crank cut down to fit the 318 block......your problem will be finding pistons.......not a real popular build therefore not lots of piston choices available.......but it can and has been done.

Go for it, be different!

You will now get 10 to 15 people telling you to go straight to a 360.......do what you want, have fun.

You have to cut the mains down and the rear main seal area, they are both smaller in a 318.

Ok I'm confused
I thought there was available an aftermarket 3.58 stroke crank to drop into the teener saddles? Is that memory also false? Sheesh, I am getting old.......
Oh that's not what he asked I get it it.
But you can or could at one time get that to happen. P5007257 and 7253,
My 2001 catalog lists these as 318 sized mains, and 3.58 stroke
Pistons not included,lol

Last edited:
Say Mike since you're here, How would you repair a 360 block that was "line-honed" and now the rear seal wears out on the one half only, within a few thousand miles, and the other half barely touches; and so in a short time it leaks. .

yes..there is a 3.58 stroke crank with 318/340 main bearing .........scat has them...

Bought a couple of them went MP was dumping them......

Yes, you can have the main journals of the 360 crank cut down to fit the 318 block......your problem will be finding pistons.......not a real popular build therefore not lots of piston choices available.......but it can and has been done.

Go for it, be different!

You will now get 10 to 15 people telling you to go straight to a 360.......do what you want, have fun.
What I would really like to do is get the rods out of a 360 and now I guess it would be best to get a scat crank. That way I have a longer stroke (more Torque curve) and more cubic inches.
Any thoughts?

All the LA rods are the same length. All you would have is essentially a 360 with a small bore...why would you want that?

It's a 343.889. lol, Custom crank, custom pistons. Sounds good at the drive-in...
You can get a 360 core for a whole buncha less money

The best thing to do with a teener is to tie it to your mother-in-law, and throw it off the dock,lol. well it was funnier in my head.Of course I'm Kidding! My mother-in-law is long ago deceased.....

Last edited:
You would be money and miles ahead to just get a 5.9 Magnum core.

-
Back