360 engine question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, have a question on a 360. I have a BB in my Duster and my son has a 73 Dart Sport he is going to put a 340 4sp set up in eventually. He is getting the urge to drive it now so I found a 360/727 with only 43000 miles on it out of a 79 RV. Problem is the sump on it is a front sump and it will not clear the k-frame. I was thinking of taking the oil pump and the oil pan from the 340 and putting it on the 360 to make this work. Will it work and if so, is there anything special I need to do to swap the oil pump. The other problem is the 727 I have is not set up for the tranny x-member and it has the wrong yoke on it so I am gonna sell the 727 and stick a 904 behind it for now so i dont have to change the tailshaft. What do you guys think about this. Any suggestions. Thanks

need 360 car pan with center sump..and new pickup tube...

the 340 will will not fit the 360 due the difference in the rear pan seal sizes..

so what you are saying is I need a 360 oil pan with a center sump to make this work. Need a pickup tube also. I will have to find someone who has this.I only have 440's. I don't know a lot about sb mopar.thanks

there is an aluminum adapter that has been sold on ebay that allows the use of the 340 pan on the 360 engine....sells for about 40 bucks...but not worth it unless you have an expensive oil pan you want to use...

i have one on a 360 as it was cheaper to buy the adapter then to buy another 360 deep sump pan went i had several 340 deep sump pans available..

dont need an expensive pan, just need something cheap that will allow him to run this motor until such time he can build his 340 the right way and put the 340/4speed set up in it. He just wants to drive this old car. I guess I will just have to find someone who has a center sump pan with a pickup tube. Thanks

I picked up a almost new 360 pan here and bought a new center sump pickup at AutoZone for around 15 bucks. My motor was a rear sump truck motor. SEALED POWER Part # 2241166 . They are a little bit more now, about 28.00 from rock auto.

Sounds like you've got the oil pan question figured out so on to the trans. Yes sell the RV trans as it will need totally disassembled to change the output shaft and extension housing to work in a car. The 904, if in good condition, will do fine.

that part # 2241166 crosses over to a 318 also. Are they the same. I may have one of those.

Point to consider.. If the 340 pan with some adapter went on the 360,
When the 340 starts going together you wont have a pan to put on it.

-
Back