360 flat tops wirh Edelbrock heads

-

mopfried

Reaction score
Thinking of a cheap build with avaiable parts that i already have.
360LA block with H116CP speed pro .030 over pistons, .005 in the hole.
Set of Edelbrock untouced (used, not ported) RPM 63 cc heads Quench closed chamber)
.036 head gasket... comes up as 10.6 static compressio.
4 speed in a dart. \
I know i need to be careful picking camshaft, but will 10.6 be too much compression for pump gas?
Hot street motor.. headers, 355 gear ..maybe fuel injection...

I have never ran aluminum heads.....
I have some W-2 iron heads (70 cc and no quench, Open chamber, ported) and all it take to run them except pushrods.
Thanks in advance,

Set of Edelbrock untouced (used, not ported) RPM 63 cc heads Quench closed chamber)
4 speed in a dart. \
I know i need to be careful picking camshaft, but will 10.6 be too much compression for pump gas?

I have some W-2 iron heads (70 cc and no quench, Open chamber, ported) and all it take to run them except pushrods.
Thanks in advance,
Shouldn't be a problem.

I went with flat tops .004 out of the hole with 60cc TF's and I am at 12.5:1 CR.... no pump gas for me. lol

It will be fine with aluminum heads. Iron heads hold more heat in and could be subject to detonation at the same compression ratio.

What camshaft duration? I can run a simple Performance Trends model to tell you what cranking and dynamic pressure you will have... typically want to stay under 200 PSI for a street engine you want to be dependable.

Think you'll be fine on pump gas... and yes be careful on cam selection. :thumbsup:

4 speed in a dart. \

Thanks in advance,
At .005" in the hole, how much did you have to take off the deck surface to get that? Thanks

You'll be fine, My 340 is zero deck, closed chambered Speedmaster heads, .034" compressed head gaskets and 2.05 intake valves. Just mock it up and measure valve clearance with play dough, check your rocker geometry and be sure your pushrods clear the tunnel.

The place that i had the deck cut didn't tell me. He said .005 was safer incase i ever blew a head gasket there would be a little to clean up. What ever. I can make that .005 in head gasket thickness. Acording to the math he must have cut .012 or so.

You'll be fine, My 340 is zero deck, closed chambered Speedmaster heads, .034" compressed head gaskets and 2.05 intake valves. Just mock it up and measure valve clearance with play dough, check your rocker geometry and be sure your pushrods clear the tunnel.
Oh yes. I will measure everthing. I am limited to .575 lift with the edelbrock heads. I know the intake valve closing has a lot to do with dynamic compression.

The place that i had the deck cut didn't tell me. He said .005 was safer incase i ever blew a head gasket there woild be a little to cean up. What ever. I can make that .005 in head gasket thickness. Acording to the math he must have cut .012 or so.
He cut .022". Those pistons are. 027" down the hole on a un cut block

4 speed in a dart. \

Thanks in advance,
What elevation are you at? Also plays into dynamic calc.

What rockers do you have, and what type of camshaft (hydraulic, solid, roller, etc.) do you intend to run with what intake manifold?

Last edited:
FWIW....I run 93 pump gas in my 408 with an actual 10.5 CR. Cam is 251/255@ .050 w/ Eddie heads. Standard 1008 Felpro .039" head gasket. No issues on the street or track with that fuel.

What rockers do you have, and what type of camshaft (hydraulic, solid, roller, etc.) do you intend to run with what intake manifold and gearing?
I have Iron rockers and a few different 4BBl intakes and a 6 pack.
4 speed and 355 gears.
Havent oicked a cam yet but probably hydraulic or solid flat tappet.

4 speed in a dart. \

Thanks in advance,
Wife’s zero deck pistoned 360 is .030 with the C116HP and uses Trick flow heads, .038 head gaskets and a hyd roller at 224@050 & 1.6 rockers. Uses 93 octane, zero issues. Make sure you have a good cooling system!

If you use a cam smaller than 224@050, I can’t call it for you. That’s the smallest cam I ever used on a high, 11.3-1 or so compression engine.
Rock on dude!

Wife’s zero deck pistoned 360 is .030 with the C116HP and uses Trick flow heads, .038 head gaskets and a hyd roller at 224@050 & 1.6 rockers. Uses 93 octane, zero issues. Make sure you have a good cooling system!

If you use a cam smaller than 224@050, I can’t call it for you. That’s the smallest cam I ever used on a high, 11.3-1 or so compression engine.
Rock on dude!

If I recall you were kissing or a bit over 200 PSI cranking when I ran your numbers!

Jim, I do think that was right about what you were saying.

- LOL - Careful in the timing curve and octane being consumed.

Works great Jim. That little cam has enough stall behind it turning the 26 X 10 Mickey flame treads & 3.55’s without an issue. I used the black bushing in the MSD RTR distributor & .. crud… I think it’s 18* initial. Dang…. Forgot… ummmmm…. 32*’s total.

One key item is a light weight car.

Anybody ever use “Boostane?”

I have Iron rockers and a few different 4BBl intakes and a 6 pack.
4 speed and 355 gears.
Havent oicked a cam yet but probably hydraulic or solid flat tappet.
What tire are you running?
When you figure out what cylinder head you want to run, as well as the intake, a cam can be talked about.

The other two missing items is what exact transmission your going to use and the weight of the car.

Over all, what do you want or expect out of the car?

What tire are you running?
When you figure out what cylinder head you want to run, as well as the intake, a cam can be talked about.

The other two missing items is what exact transmission your going to use and the weight of the car.

Over all, what do you want or expect out of the car?
From the other post I have going about compression and flow, looks like the W-2 heads may be worthwhile. I have a Holley strip dominator for the W-2 heads.
What am I expecting? 500 HP would be nice. I just want a quick fast Dart! I have accumilated so many parts thru the years I need to quit collecting and build something and enjoy my dart. Its not much more that a painted shell at the moment. I could just as easily go with a 440, But not now.
Oh and I have a A833 4 speed and an blow proof belhousing.

PS its a sickness... Mopar sickness.

And I need to type slower and spell check. lol

Last edited:
From the other post I have going about compression and flow, looks like the W-2 heads may be worthwhile. I have a Holley strip dominator for the W-2 heads.
Maybe….
What am I expecting? 500 HP would be nice.
Not seeing it.
I just want a quick fast Dart! I have accumilated so many parts thru the years I need to quit collecting and build something and enjoy my dart. Its not much more that a painted shell at the moment. I could just as easily go with a 440, But not now.
Oh and I have a A833 4 speed and an blow proof belhousing.

I love manual transmissions. Knowing your first gear ratio is a really good thing to know. I do have one thing though, I’d like to say, the 3.55’s will limit camshaft size or you’ll be a dog out of the hole and a screaming top end that will take a long time to get to.

In the other post, you mention a cam duration of 243. IDK the overlap amount…. But a duration like that would (strictly IMO) of at least 3.91 with small tires (smaller than 27 inches) and 4.10’s as a min with a taller tire like at 28 inches.

(I’d do 4.30’s on a 28” tire.)
PS its a sickness... Mopar sickness.

And I need to type slower and spell check. lol
Oh! I know…. I know…. Been there done that still doing it!

So tell us here… what’s “Fast” for you and are you more so in the street or track?

Anybody ever use “Boostane”
They sponsored our class 8 truck for the 2017 Baja 1000. And the Owner of Boostane (Ian) drove the second leg of the race. We ran 91 octane with 2 cans of boostane in every tank. Normally we run the engine on 110/91 mixed 50/50. Ran perfectly with full timing for the entire race. Post race tear down the entire inside of the engine was orange.
EDEA8CBA-F92B-45B2-96DB-06200E2C0C8E.png

-
Back