compression or flow?

-
I bought the heads used and didnt know they had previously been cut. Didnt realize the open part was that deep stock. These heads cc to 75 cc!
Well now that you know the CCs of the heads your getting somewhere. As I mentioned earlier mine didn't match 72 and 70. Cleaned up at 69cc. That gives you room to work with incase you have to shave them to get the compression you need.
I wouldn't run that cam you have now. Not enough lift. Same boat I'm in. Ported W2s are going to want and can use around .600 lift. Don't need a split cam either. Exhaust ports are excellent. Work with a cam grinder to get a flat tappet solid with some lift and not too much duration. Work your heads and something like a cometic gasket you can get the compression needed assuming you want to run pump gas. Get a nice curve in your distributor and tune your carb. Regular Holley 750DP w/ 4 corner idle is easy to tune. Don't forget headers and you should be all set other than the 3.91s you need to install. Good luck!

There was a real good article on Enginelabs that semi pertains to this if someone want to do a copy and paste. Pretty interesting and really pertains to a set of heads I’m dealing with now.

Thinking of a cheap build with avaiable parts that i already have.
360LA block with H116CP speed pro .030 over pistons, .005 in the hole.
Set of Edelbrock untouced (used, not ported) RPM 63 cc heads Quench closed chamber)
.036 head gasket... comes up as 10.6 static compressio.

4 speed in a dart. \
I know i need to be careful picking camshaft, but will 10.6 be too much compression for pump gas?
Hot street motor.. headers, 355 gear ..maybe fuel injection...

I have never ran aluminum heads.....
I have some W-2 iron heads (70 cc and no quench, Open chamber, ported .5 point dtop in compression)and all it take to run them except pushrods.

So the question is do i give up the poeted W2 flow for higher compression and quench?
what difference will either make?
Flow numbers?
Ported W2's w/ 10.1 comp is grear for street swill.

-
Back