360 head trip

-
love your work, have you found an advantage in leaving a square edge on the back of the intake guide? or is this a 'step one' flow figure

Awesome thread revival. Justin-when we went to Escondido I had a bad ballast resistor. You should hear/feel this thing now! You are the man!

Cool. I was taught S,S.R,treat it like a waterfall.Smooth,undisturbed transition.Myself,usually hand sand it,for my ideas......

Ill add that magnum heads as cast do a few cfm better at .200-.400...but flow less at .100 and .450 and up and have a lower peak number as well compared to the old 360 1.88 heads. figure the mag does have a bigger valve on top of that and then tell me people, which heads int port is really better?lol
mags peak at like 209cfm, the 360 la peaks at like 213cfm.

Well pics r decieving, so it looks as if the the turn is hanging out a lot when its not.. but on the other hand...this is not an all out porting thread.
You have to be carefull, if u lay it back too much, the flow gos away and backs up.
As for porting the intake runner, why ? It's only a 1.88-1.94 intake valve , its all in the guide and bowl ;)
FWIW I have another port I worked on this head that gos in the 250's and I can do better than that if I choose to. almost 40 cfm more than stock..lol..old junk iron.
Friends..Its not the peak flow that's most important...its the whole range of flow.

Veru nice thread!,great info.I port relatively conservative on street engines for this reason,I like big low lift numbers and velocity.Its amazing how well you can tame a fairly large cam street engine with the right heads and still make respectable power.

Veru nice thread!,great info.I port relatively conservative on street engines for this reason,I like big low lift numbers and velocity.Its amazing how well you can tame a fairly large cam street engine with the right heads and still make respectable power.

Very true !
Smallest port, with just the right cross section for the rpm range that flows the right amount of cfm to make the hp goal is ideal.
But a port on the small side/small cross section that still flows the cfm required with a wild cam motor will prove more torque sooner and basically band aid a nasty cam or mis matched combo while not sacrificing everything up top.

The right head or flow and cs etc is determined by the rpm range and or in a general sense the build recipe.

The head in this thread now has 2.02 int and flows in 260's, and its not even worked over much beyond what was done before the up size, just bowl blended the existing work.

Awesome read.

Next time I have the 915's off my 318 I'm going to be mighty tempted to tickle them up just a little!

-
Back