360 healthy street on low budget

-
Sure...360, either stock magnum heads or RHS heads or Iron Ram heads, KB107s zereo decked. XE274 Camshaft and a 750 carb. It's what I had before the stroker I am going to. Should run great on 91 octane

Budget? Your biggest battle without a piston change will be lack of higher static compression, especially if you plan to stay stock stall (if auto) and have high gears.

Small cam, 600CFM of your choice, Performer or equal intake, and headers. NOS if you want more HP on a budget if your going to race.

Was figuring boring it, cam, intake, carb, hedders, and valve job...want to try to use factory heads...not going to race it but don't want a slug either...auto trans
Looking at idle-5500 RPM range of use

I did basic like you say with the addition of stock magum heads to get more compression and a little more lift as I went with a stock 340 can grind. I'm sure it makes more power then a stock 340 yet is still tame enough to currently be my daily driver back and forth to work.

Have you had the heads looked at? Sometimes by the time you pay to have a valve job, new valves, springs, seats, guides, etc you'll put as much into them as a new set of better heads like the EQ Magnums or Indy X heads.

Haven't had heads in shop yet...and thinking bout what you say bout parts to replace they do add up QUICK..when I bore it should I go with dome pistons also? Bout same cost for stock as domes from kuts I've seen

What sort of power are you looking for? If all you want is around 325-350 HP, you don't need even a piston change. You can use the stock heads, pistons and all. I'll be glad to whoop you up a recipe on the desktop dyno if you like. Be glad to do it no charge, but I take donations. lol

No need for dome tops, 0 deck flat tops will give you 10:1. Reworked 360 castings may wind up costing as much as some EQ heads or Indy LA X heads assuming they're not cracked and probably won't make as much power.
Need to define some goals and tell us about what its going in.

Last two posts,on the money. Boils down to: How fast,how much moola you got. The car in question would help,immensely. Gears,transmission,AND WHAT YOU EXPECT FINISHED....

9.1 CR, xe268 cam, rpm intake, 650 carb, headers and some porting couldn't hurt.

I love these true budget builds that require the engine not be take. Apart for a rebuild.

For a nice easy driver with some decent power, top to bottom listing, try this;

Open air cleaner
TQ carb -
A 650 carb inplace of a TQ if need be. Holley VS or Edelbrock's Thunder series AVS style carb will be good.
OE spreadbore intake from a late 340 or early 360
A Weiand Action Plus is a excellent intake or the Edelbrock's Performer is my second choice manifold. Both can be found used inexpensively here or around the net. You could save 50% over a new unit.
Headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust
Viscous fan
MSD or equal ignition
Crane cam @ 216/228-.454-.480 on a 112

Find the bolt on, no extra machine work needed Crane springs to match.
If you have some spare bucks for a head milling, mill .060 from the head for a reasonable raise in the comp ratio.
Install a shift kit in the trans
No stall converter needed
A set of 3.91gears (max) and a 26 inch diameter tire
Time it aggressively and tune it well
13's are very doable

Idle-5500-warm street motor. The 308 casting heads (just before the Magnums, '88-'91 on 360 motors and the last of the M-body cop cars) would work perfect. Throw a 268 Xtreme Energe Comp Cam kit in it, Performer RPM intake, 600-650 CFM carb, headers and dual exhaust. Use a built 904 behind it, since it takes less power to turn than a 727 (and you aren't going to make a drag car out of this), and you should get a nice, budget-friendly performance car

-
Back