360 in 65 Dart?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I may be acquiring a 78 360 to replace the hole that an old slant six left in the engine bay of my 65 Dart. I already have the exhaust manifolds off an early a 273, and know that I still need the v8 mounts, trans, and radiator. Am I forgetting anything? Which oil pan do I need?

Thanks

If the 360 is from a passenger car the oil pan will work. You will need to modify a set of 273 mounts as the 360 has a different mounting ear. You will need a V8 drop center link and V8 gas pedal assembly.

If you can, trial fit the manifolds on the heads with the engine out side the car. There is a high probability that the drivers side dump tube will hit the boss on the head where the air injection hole is and not lay flat, causing an exhaust leak. Don't ask how I know how hard it is to grind it off with the engine in the car!

Also, if you use the factory studs to mount the manifolds, eather pull them (the studs) out, then pull the steering column, and then set the engine in, or pull the steering column out and put the manifolds on and then set the engine in.

It's been awhile since I worked with stock exhaust in an Early"A", these are the things I remember.

Depending on which transmission you select you may need a bushing for the torque converter and a weighted flex plate. (required to hook the pre 68 transmission to the later engines)

The manifolds will bolt up and work. Not optimum, but will get him on the road.

not with my experience. I had 273 manifolds from the original engine and I tried to put them on a late 70's 318 they bolt right on, but the 273 manifolds do not cover the emissions ports in the heads of the 70's engines and make the car very loud up front!

hey JBurch, I learned the hard way, when it came to putting the 273 manifolds on my 360 heads it hit the air injection port and so im gonna be fixing mine soon. What do you have to grind, the exhaust manifold or the head? Thanks -Kory

hey JBurch, I learned the hard way, when it came to putting the 273 manifolds on my 360 heads it hit the air injection port and so im gonna be fixing mine soon. What do you have to grind, the exhaust manifold or the head? Thanks -Kory
You have to grind some from both. I learned the hard way by trying to take it all from the boss on the head and it sprung a coolant leak.

If the 360 is from a passenger car the oil pan will work. You will need to modify a set of 273 mounts as the 360 has a different mounting ear. You will need a V8 drop center link and V8 gas pedal assembly.

I hadn't caught that before...what's the difference in the pedal assemblies?

Thanks!

The V8 setup is a cable type that mounts further up and towards the driver's side. The pedal itself pushes on a spoon shaped piece of the linkage as opposed to the slant's twist linkage that is physically attached to the pedal.

Attachments

• 008 (2).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 009 (3).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 210
I just ground on the head, no coolant leaks. If you're working out of the car, it's easier to check progress.

Good luck!

-
Back