360 in An A100 Build: Carb+Intake Choice

-

12many

Reaction score
So I have a 67 A100 panel van thatll be used for hot rodding around, a few road trips to car shows/dragstrip visits once in a while, a toy basically. This thing weights about 3300lbs, has 27" tires on the rear, a 3.73 geared 8-3/4, A727 with as yet sourced converter (2200-2600 range likely) The engine is a 1976 360 performance version short block from CME, we haven't yet determined what exact pistons, etc they're gonna install, but as Im using the LA version EQ heads with closed chambers, the compression (with cam I'm using) will need to be 9.5 with a DCR of approx 7.77. 91 octane for sure, but would rather be able to use mid grade and not ever worry about it. Heads have the standard size 1.92/1.62 valves (back cut), mildly ported (gasket matched intakes, guide bosses tapered, and bowls cleaned up) Using Comp Cams red version 1.6 roller rockers with Hughes spring kit thatll allow up to .550 lift with no machine work needed to fit. Using a Howards Cams single pattern 275 adv duration, ([email protected]) .313" lobe/.501" valve lift, 108LSA, 59 degrees overlap cam, pretty much a copy of the Isky 270 Mega. With the good flow of the EQ head ootb, and their good exhaust flow I decided on going with a single pattern cam, as well as using higher ratio rockers giving slightly faster opening on a slower rate cam. Weighed the merits of fast rate cams vs older style, all the pros and cons, duration @.050, lift, overlap, LSA, etc, etc. Missing out on some power potential, but this is the cam I decided on. Still debating the best headers and carb/intake choice. Initially with what I've got planned so far I can just use 1-5/8 long tube, step, or maybe 1-3/4 headers. With the doghouse style engine cover I'm limited on clearance. Wanted to use the Air Gap with a Thermoquad, but would need an adapter and it wouldnt clear the cover with a different carb and no adapt anyway. My only choice is the performer or weiand, maybe a reworked iron intake, preferably with the Thermoquad, or maybe a better combo I'm not aware of. With all I've got, intend on using, it seems I'll have a real torque monster, maybe too much? After all this, feel free to opine on carbs, intakes and headers for what I've got here.

Edelbrock RPM for the intake.
Edelbrock 650 Thunder series for the carb.
I think this combo would work well, plus the factory Chrysler linkage
tends to play well with the Edel carbs.

Even an Edelbrock 600 would work well, for what your doing with the van.
Other intakes you coluld use, are the Performer, or the Weiand.

Last edited:
Another vote for the iron themoquad intake! there a dam good intake its just heavy & rhe tq is also a good carb even better once its dialed in! As a side note, if you want the torque curve in a little sooner put 1.5 rockers on the exhaust valves & 1.6's one the intake valves. I personally tried this on my 273 & it did improve power in the lower rpm range & a bit noticeable throttle response. But it is a bit of a trade off as is everything else. What it picked up in the lowrr range it lost up top. With 1.6's across the board it pulled clean to 5500. With the split raitos it fell off noticeably about 5000-5100. My cam is small in comparison but its worth mentioning.

For a TQ you'll need a;

OE intake
Edelbrock Performer
Weiand Action plus
Or a M1/Holley single plane which I do not recommend at this point.
I have a '71/'72 OE TQ intake if there's interest in it.

My buddy had a '65 A100 pickup. It had a transplanted/rebuilt 360 from a '77 Lil Red Express. The previous owner rebuilt the engine with some go-fast goodies including a Performer intake and 1406 600 cfm carburetor on it.

So I have a 67 A100 panel van thatll be used for hot rodding around, a few road trips to car shows/dragstrip visits once in a while, a toy basically. This thing weights about 3300lbs, has 27" tires on the rear, a 3.73 geared 8-3/4, A727 with as yet sourced converter (2200-2600 range likely) The engine is a 1976 360 performance version short block from CME, we haven't yet determined what exact pistons, etc they're gonna install, but as Im using the LA version EQ heads with closed chambers, the compression (with cam I'm using) will need to be 9.5 with a DCR of approx 7.77. 91 octane for sure, but would rather be able to use mid grade and not ever worry about it. Heads have the standard size 1.92/1.62 valves (back cut), mildly ported (gasket matched intakes, guide bosses tapered, and bowls cleaned up) Using Comp Cams red version 1.6 roller rockers with Hughes spring kit thatll allow up to .550 lift with no machine work needed to fit. Using a Howards Cams single pattern 275 adv duration, ([email protected]) .313" lobe/.501" valve lift, 108LSA, 59 degrees overlap cam, pretty much a copy of the Isky 270 Mega. With the good flow of the EQ head ootb, and their good exhaust flow I decided on going with a single pattern cam, as well as using higher ratio rockers giving slightly faster opening on a slower rate cam. Weighed the merits of fast rate cams vs older style, all the pros and cons, duration @.050, lift, overlap, LSA, etc, etc. Missing out on some power potential, but this is the cam I decided on. Still debating the best headers and carb/intake choice. Initially with what I've got planned so far I can just use 1-5/8 long tube, step, or maybe 1-3/4 headers. With the doghouse style engine cover I'm limited on clearance. Wanted to use the Air Gap with a Thermoquad, but would need an adapter and it wouldnt clear the cover with a different carb and no adapt anyway. My only choice is the performer or weiand, maybe a reworked iron intake, preferably with the Thermoquad, or maybe a better combo I'm not aware of. With all I've got, intend on using, it seems I'll have a real torque monster, maybe too much? After all this, feel free to opine on carbs, intakes and headers for what I've got here.
I am building pretty much the same engine right now using H405CP pistons in a stock block will be around 9.3 running EQ heads. I'm going with a Lunati Voodoo 60402 and 1.6 rockers.
I'm using a LD340 intake and Holley 650 with 1 5/8 long tube headers
looking forward to having it together. trying for the next 2 weeks.
Good luck with your project

With all I've got, intend on using, it seems I'll have a real torque monster, maybe too much?
I would not worry about it, but you will indeed have plenty for that vehicle. At this point, maybe switch focus on the carb and intake to emphasize driveability and fuel mileage.

And anyway, your brain and right foot need to do something....control the wheel spin LOL. You can always lower the rear gears.

I had a 1968 A108 factory 318. RPM Performer intake with a AVS carb. electronic ignition upgrade and 3.91s out back I used a set of Block hugger headers, 2.5" exhaust. Fun van and pulled real nice. These vans are built to haul heavy loads Yours sounds like it will pull the mail really well.

On a side note. Check out the link below.
1964-70 Dodge A100 van front disc

The main reason I was thinking the TQ is for the phenolic carb body and that it might help a little on any fuel boiling, vapor lock issues typical for these vans, decisions decisions!

Use the TQ with a thick gasket! The carb should be hooked up as intended like the factory did it.
I added a Edelbrock electric fuel pump to my carb set ups and the very quick surply of fuel helps a lot!

Use the TQ with a thick gasket! The carb should be hooked up as intended like the factory did it.
I added a Edelbrock electric fuel pump to my carb set ups and the very quick surply of fuel helps a lot!
Anybody supply jets or needles for the carbs yet? Everywhere I read they always mention rebuild kits are not a problem, but for tuning them. Out of box I reckon they're pretty good as is for most?

With your combo, pretty much any sbm TQ will be spot on. I love those TQs. If you already have one, give it a shot! If you already have any other 4bbl, give it a shot. Cuz really your combo will run on just about any 500 to 800 carb, with a 650 sq bore being about right. The small TQ with it's 1.44 bores is a pretty nice unit. If you are buying new, then I might suggest a spreadbore. These are awesome for a streeter like yours. The smaller primaries will make all that torque a lil more manageable.
As to intakes, pretty much anything that fits will do, with a nod to the dualplanes.Or to a small-plenum single like an Excellerator. I've put that one on a teener, and she liked it.
As to headers,the smaller the pipe the better, with a nod to a step-header, or pretty much anything that fits,lol.
See if it seems like I'm being vague, it's because I think your combo is none to fussy, except if you go too big. Big headers you don't need nor want. 1.75s on your combo is big. A big carb,your combo neither needs nor wants. A 750 DP would be big.A 500 might be a tad small. A 650DP is about right or a small air-door secondary like a TQ. Your combo will pull them all. The spreadbores are nice on a hi-torque combo like yours, cuz the small primaries cannot dump air in so fast that the car with 3.73s gets jumpy at small throttle openings.Yet at WOT, they pass a lotta air thru those rear dumps.With a TC in there to absorb some of the operator error tho, this is less of an issue. Still I have sucked 32mpg out of a combo like yours,albeit with an overdrive. The small primaries makes this kindof thing doable. No you will not match my results with your current combo, so don't even think about it,lol!I don't think that body-style will ever get into the mid twenties much less into the thirties.Still it costs nothing to dream.
So,to recap; in my opinion;
small tube headers whatever fits, and a small spreadbore, with any matching manifold.
Now if you wanna be adventurous, and have some spare cash; Offy makes something called a Dual-Port. I have always wanted to give one of those a try. And no I'm not chipping in. But I think on a combo like yours the theory behind it might make a lot of sense.If you get it to work like the hype says it will, then you will have a really great set-up. That manifold might work really nice in the dog-house environment.
Speaking of which, it might be worth it to get whatever headers you buy,ceramic coated. That will help reduce the under-box heat and that will be a really big deal!Oh yeah make sure that baby gets fresh cool air to breath! If you do those, you might be able to run 87.I mean the 7.77Dcr theoretically says so.And the 3300 pounds, the 3.73s and the 2600plus TC all come together to help make that happen. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Jets and rods are available at sometimes a hefty sum so I suggest to you, use AFB / AVS rods shortened via of bending them 3/4 of an inch shorter and clipping the rest of it off. This should surply you with the tunabilty and verity you need. But donrealize there a 2 step rod and not a 3 step rod.

As far as good as is on any engine, well, I suppose you could get any carb to work on any engine as is or as delivered or OOTB, but how well that produces power is the other thing. The best thing about the Carter carb(s) is there very forgiving on there tune and Operation.

I will suggest that you find a '72+ TQ of the large primary verity with as little vacuum hook up as possible.
Thermo-Quad Jets, QuadrajetParts.com - Carburetor Parts

Carter 4 ThermoQuad Parts Page

THE CARBURETOR SHOP / Parts for Carter

All great advice, not afraid of having to modify the rods as mentioned if needed. I've given a lot of thought into the parts selection, and really it's about being able to hotrod around, take a trip anytime, and dump crap gas into it if need be in certain cases, all in the summer sauna temps here without the thing loading up, puking out and all the rest of the dog pile type symptoms theses vans can exhibit, bone stock or otherwise.

All great advice, not afraid of having to modify the rods as mentioned if needed. I've given a lot of thought into the parts selection, and really it's about being able to hotrod around, take a trip anytime, and dump crap gas into it if need be in certain cases, all in the summer sauna temps here without the thing loading up, puking out and all the rest of the dog pile type symptoms theses vans can exhibit, bone stock or otherwise.
Then my advice to you on a build of 100% reliability with get up and go "Umph!" Is simply do a low compression stock rebuild with OE 4bbl. Intake, carb and (dual) exhaust with exhaust manifolds. Stock heads (2.02) with a good valve job and equippe the engine with a cam that compliments the driving rpm range.
Down the line ... get a O.D. trans and use 3.55 - 3.73 gears.

Use what ever tricks inside the engine you can. Ex: Floating does, lighter slugs, roller rockers (cam as well if the pocket is deep enough) coated pistons and chambers, etc....

I saw a floating doe once, but she was struggling hard to get across the creek,lol.
Saw some lighter slugs too, but I think they were on their way to being something else. Maybe moths?

I think this thread has run its course! Only was looking to read what some others thought about the various carbs, intakes and headers as it pertains to my parts chosen so far and HOW I intend on using it. Never messed with the TQ so I suppose I needed confirmation that it's a good choice, jets and rods aside. Seems I was correct. With the heat issue in this engine bay, it is the best choice. Still not certain on the intake, run an insulator spacer, which I'd run on any intake, and I may put the TQ on an RPM intake. So it's only headers to suss. Is it spring yet?!

You should just need a thick gasket under the carb. An OE type TQ gasket is a little hard to find but worth it. If you can fit an extra 1-1/4 inch height for the carb under the vans cowl, great.

The only dual plane spreadbore's are the OE, Performer and the Weiand Stealth, a high rise dual plane.

You should just need a thick gasket under the carb. An OE type TQ gasket is a little hard to find but worth it. If you can fit an extra 1-1/4 inch height for the carb under the vans cowl, great.

The only dual plane spreadbore's are the OE, Performer and the Weiand Stealth, a high rise dual plane.
Will look into that, once I mock up the engine in place I have to see what room I have for an as yet determined air cleaner, or even a remote filter setup. Thanks

Before I chose the Howards cam I was playing around with the Comp Cams Camquest, the cam that yielded the best torque (447ft/lbs) was the xe262 with an 800cfm carb and dp intake, mild porting and 1-3/4 headers full exhaust. HP showed 413. Using 1-5/8 headers both showed slightly lower. Not exact or accurate I know, but I'm thinking at least 375-390hp maybe? And 430ft/lbs? Purely finger in the air wild guess based on only reading and comparing what others have yielded in similar builds. Any experts care to make a prediction on what it might put out at the crank with the TQ on a Performer or similar with the 1-5/8 headers? Wont see a dyno ever, I wouldnt know the diff as long as it boils the tires and digs hard.

001.jpg

I think this thread has run its course! Only was looking to read what some others thought about the various carbs, intakes and headers as it pertains to my parts chosen so far and HOW I intend on using it. Never messed with the TQ so I suppose I needed confirmation that it's a good choice, jets and rods aside. Seems I was correct. With the heat issue in this engine bay, it is the best choice. Still not certain on the intake, run an insulator spacer, which I'd run on any intake, and I may put the TQ on an RPM intake. So it's only headers to suss. Is it spring yet?!
With the pan installed under the axle.. The van is not any different than a car. I have a big block in a 69 A100. Runs as cool as my 318. I dont know if that helps, it my personal experience with A100s

If you use the performer open it to 360 port size cause it comes in between 318/360.
Said to make 25 hp more or otherwise stock will make more.

If you use the performer open it to 360 port size cause it comes in between 318/360.
Said to make 25 hp more or otherwise stock will make more.
Ive read about that, definately will. Not clear on how far in one should go, but I assume leave the floor alone other than tapering near the flange.

Just for show and tell, here's some pics of the mild port work I did with a Makita electric grinder w/long carbide cutter and some 80 grit sanding rolls. Intake guide bosses tapered, exhaust reduced quite a bit, bowls smoothed, exhaust port otherwise left alone, and intake gasket matched, roof cleaned up, floor left alone.

IMG_20161217_175445.jpg

IMG_20161217_175323.jpg

IMG_20161217_175135.jpg

Like Johnny Dart said:
Edelbrock RPM for the intake.
Edelbrock 650 Thunder series for the carb.

My 79 360 is running those and mine develops about 350HP...Works real well.

-
Back