360 info

-

Joker13

Reaction score
A friend of mine out west came across a 70-72 360 out of a C body. He was told it is a HO motor and comes with a trans- didn't get the type. Motor has not run in ten years, but was supposedly running well and pulled for rebuild. It was partly disassembled and oiled and sitting since. I had been thinking of swapping the 318 out of my Cuda for a 360 somewhere down the line. My friend can get it for me, but I want to ask what the value might be? 300? 600? 1200? I have no idea about these.

Thanks

Nothing special about a 360 block, as far as I know there was never a "HO" version made...some years might be a little different but that's it....still, a 360 is a good find, I paid a $300 for a complete 1970 360 with J heads and a LD4B Eddy intake, but that's was about 10 years ago and it is a good core

Nothing special about a 360 block, as far as I know there was never a "HO" version made...some years might be a little different but that's it....still, a 360 is a good find, I paid a $300 for a complete 1970 360 with J heads and a LD4B Eddy intake, but that's was about 10 years ago and it is a good core
So would 400-600 seem fair not knowing the heads or anything?

I have looked a little bit, but not come across much in that price range. Would i be better holding out for a late 60s one?

Though there are date codes as early as late 69, the first production year for the 360 was 1971.

Although the 71 360 was not an "HO" engine, it did have higher compression than all the other LA 360s due to a longer piston compression height. That was the only year.

Of course, this is a moot point because most anyone would replace the pistons anyway.

I have looked a little bit, but not come across much in that price range. Would i be better holding out for a late 60s one?
I just found one for $350 from a 79 truck. Good shape and the heads already have the hardened seats. Im not sure how much of an advantage you have getting one from the 60's

last 360 i bought was a running one out of a c-body. i gave 500 for it. put a chain ad oil pump in it and dropped it my dart.. man that thing ran nice.. hav eit out ther eon a stand waiting for whatever i want to do next..:)

Wouldn't pay a red cent over $200 for a core. A motor that's been setting for ten years is a core.

Though there are date codes as early as late 69, the first production year for the 360 was 1971.

Although the 71 360 was not an "HO" engine, it did have higher compression than all the other LA 360s due to a longer piston compression height. That was the only year.

Of course, this is a moot point because most anyone would replace the pistons anyway.

Is there any advantage to the older blocks- type of metal? Casting? Crank?

Is there any advantage to the older blocks- type of metal? Casting?

Typically the 1st casting in any group is better than say the 5th casting. Less core shift.

Crank?

All LA 360's came with cast cranks, same stroke, and journal measurements.

I would assume that later 360 blocks, like Magnums, would have better metallurgy. As said, a few hundred $$ would be tops for a core. That may vary with region but you can get running Magnums here in western VA for $400-$500 all day long.

part of why I was interested is that I read about cranks from those years being better. I probablly wouldnt get to building it for a year or so anyway as I am doing the front end suspension and seats in the nest couple months. Money is always an issue so I wanted to see if this was worth getting. Thanks for the tips, it seems nothing special here.

part of why I was interested is that I read about cranks from those years being better. I probably wouldn't get to building it for a year or so anyway as I am doing the front end suspension and seats in the nest couple months. Money is always an issue so I wanted to see if this was worth getting. Thanks for the tips, it seems nothing special here.

While you're tending to those chores, keep an eye out for a good 360 core near you. A fair price for a core is around 300 bucks. The last two I bought were 300 apiece.

Check Craig's List every other day or so, type Mopar 360 and any other variations you think of into the search bar.

You might get lucky and find one for a bit less....maybe, lol. Make sure you can spin it using a socket and a breaker bar on the crank bolt to be sure it's freed up. Even better, if the person would let you pull the heads and take a peek at the bores!

Well, I disagree. All 360s are HO. HO compared to stock teeners.heehee

Yeah I heard that too, that 71s had a lil somthin better about the blocks and cranks. I have no first-hand knowledge, but I can say that my 71 block and crank until last year was regularly exercised to 7200. It now has over 100,000 miles on it since 1999. Yeah, I balanced it.
But a Magnum is a better buy in every way.

Before I got this cuda I was a Pontiac full size guy- had 66 gto 389; 75 Grand Prix 455; 64 Grand Prix 389. It seemed simpler, except dealing w 8 lug wheels. But, the cuda has converted me. Need a full six mopar next.

The heads and intake are off. He seemed to take care of it, oiling, wd40, turning it. Get help from everyone!

Is there any advantage to the older blocks- type of metal? Casting? Crank?

I have sonic tested quite a few 340 blocks and 71-73 360 blocks and compared to later engines.

What I found was that the earlier castings had thicker cylinders at the water jacket area without exception.

although that debate rages on, that's what I FOUND by sonic testing MYSELF. Not second hand.

Are all the early castings like that? I don't know, but all the ones I tested were.

Thanks Rusty! Nice to know my block is, or might be, a heavy pig, like the rest of my car,lol
I think 2nd gen Barracuda FBs rival E-bodies for weight, when similarly equipped.The only good thing about that is; the weight seems to all be in the back. That big rear window brings my rear bias to near 48%. With the aluminum parts up front, and the battery in the rear, it's a tad better yet. Then I ditched the rear seat, so back to the beginning.
I bored my block to 4.04, on the premise that the block was somehow stronger. So now I can call my 360 a stroker 340.lol

Last edited:
Thanks Rusty! Nice to know my block is, or might be, a heavy pig, like the rest of my car,lol
I think 2nd gen Barracuda FBs rival E-bodies for weight, when similarly equipped.
I've always been under the impression that 2nd gen Barracuda f/bs were about 400 lbs lighter than the E bodies.

If you have a year before you're needing a core, don't get in a hurry. Very first find out the difference between the LA and magnum. Then decide witch you want to build.
IMHO, looking for a certain year LA 360 is a complete waste of time. On a budget you'll never build the motor with enough hp to know the difference (except for your wallet). Example : my 450 plus hp 360 stroker I think is like an 86 block or something ? (Big deal)
Watch Craigslist a few times a day with an app. On your phone with your exact criteria. Example : I found a LA 360 1977(big deal) with motor mounts those are about a $50 value, with a car oil pan those are important because most are truck motors probably about 40 or $50 value. Oil pan to intake all for $50 and he threw in a 904 transmission.
I understand this isn't an everyday kind of deal, so I jumped on it. If you watch CL you'll know when it's time to move fast.

-
Back