360 Intakes

-
I am running the Professional Products CrossWind. Pulls great from 1500 to past 6000 rpm.

Are you talking about an m1 ssingle pane?

I have m1 dual plane for magnums...

If I remember correctly the street dominator has 318 size ports so it would be a mismatch on the 360.

Chuck

Edelbrock Air Gap,takes my stroker well up to 7000 rpms,and test (i forget what magazine it was)showed it flowed better then some single planes,p.s. Mike don;t settle for CHEAP chinese knockoffs either!!!

Has anyone seen a flowbench comparsion betwen the Edelbrock Air Gap and the cheaper, but similar Crosswind air gap-style intake?

I am looking for flow bench numbers here, not patriotic rhetoric.

Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but I'd prefer an answer devoid of subjective, nationalistic opinion. The price differential between those manifolds is enough to warrant an investigation as to the flow characteristics.

I've never seen any hard numbers, or any kind of a comparison test between the two, and am curious. Anybody here ever put either of them on a flow bench? The data might be more useful than subjective slams having to do with their country of origin.

Thanks for any information.

Bill (patriotic as the next guy, but give me numbers to support your argument.)

I believe the flow will be almost identical being it is a direct copy.

I prefer not to send my money overseas if at all possible, expecially to a communist country.

Chuck

I prefer not to send my money overseas if at all possible, expecially to a communist country.

Chuck

Hmm..... I wonder if they hire communist Chinese only here in Van Nuys? Here's thier contact info:

Professional Products
The Precision Line of High Performance and Racing Products
12705 South Van Ness Avenue
Hawthorne, CA 90250

Ph: 323-779-2020
Fax: 323-754-9060

[email protected]

I'm sure some money goes to China, but it looks like people work for them here too. I wonder how they feel about what you say? :poke:

They are just an importer distributor just like Wal*Mart and you can forward what I said to them because I live in a non-communist country where I can say and not care all I want.

I also respect that people can purchase what they want communist or non communist but if people, like me, have a problem with communist chinese products you should respect that and not try and quantify why it is OK to purchase these products because I don't care to hear it.

Chuck

Chuck

I was parked next to an Aspen with a 360 in it a couple of weeks ago at a show. This engine had an Edelbrock Air-Gap on it and it gave me a good chance to visually compare my CrossWind to the Air-Gap just my looking back and forth.

Visually from the outside they were as different as any two manifolds of the same type for the same engine could be.

The shape of the raised plenum was quite different. The quality of the casting of the CrossWind looked much better than the Air-Gap, it was smoother like an investment casting compared to a sand casting. Fittings were in differnent places and the shape of the water passages weren't the same. The radius of the runners and how they exit the plenum are not the same. Not to mention Professional Products chose to add LA and Magnum mounting provisions to the intake.

So to call it a direct copy is not a correct statement anymore than to call Weiands Air-Strike raised plenum dual plane a direct copy or an M1 dual plane is a direct copy of the Proformer.

I would love to see a comparison between the CrossWind, Air-Gap and Air-Strike to see how much difference there is in function. I do know that I am seeing more and more articles on engine buildups using Professional Products intakes and other parts. One of the rags I read had an add for Chevy and Ford crate motors that they actually advertised the use of Professional Products intakes as a feature.

As far as made in China is concerned it's just a fact of life these days that much of what we purchase is made in China. Even Edelbrock that likes to make a big deal out of "Made in USA" sources their accessory items (valve covers, dress up items, etc) overseas and south of the border.

He he he, sooooooooooo, much is made overseas. Anyone take alook at there belongings in the house? From the mixer of drinks to pots and pans, the fridge, dishwasjer etc.even the tag on your cloths.
Levi's made where................................................................................................mexico.

I have a new Crosswind, and I need to buy an Air Gap. If someone has the weiand I'll test them all before they get used. I agree, the Crosswind has smaller ports,and slightly longer I think, and the dual pattern that i'd like to see a LOT more manufacturers using. The computer you post with is almost eniterly Asian. In fact, your clothes, a lot of your car, all appliances, and most of the food in the food store come from elsewhere. I wont shop at wally world, but not because of imports. The US beat up Europe 100 years ago. Now it's our turn. Get used to it.:)

They are just an importer distributor just like Wal*Mart and you can forward what I said to them because I live in a non-communist country where I can say and not care all I want.

I also respect that people can purchase what they want communist or non communist but if people, like me, have a problem with communist chinese products you should respect that and not try and quantify why it is OK to purchase these products because I don't care to hear it.

Chuck

Chuck,
I respect that you do not want to buy anything made in China, that's your choice. You live in the U.S. and can say what you want, but then you say "I also respect that people can purchase what they want communist or non communist but if people, like me, have a problem with communist chinese products you should respect that and not try and quantify why it is OK to purchase these products because I don't care to hear it". Essentialy your saying that I do not have the right to say how I feel about the issue? I don't understand, are you saying that only you have the right to say what you want but no one else does? Sounds kinda communist to me.

You can say what you want, but if it's incorrect I'll let you know whether you want to hear it or not. I would hope everyone here would do the same for me as well. I thought that this was the whole idea behind an open forum. My point was that the people that import and support these goods have families too and they are NOT communists. If you had said "As a matter of principal, I will not buy Chinese manufactured goods", I couldn't have said a thing. Broad reaching, assumptive, ill researched posts will be adressed. What if I was to say that I would buy nothing manufactured in the state of Washington because you're all democrats? You have a democrat for a governor, right? That would be a pretty silly statement don't you think? Hell, the people in your state elected her, although I can guarantee that not everyone who lives there is a democrat. The Chinese people have no choice, no elections. I'm not attacking you Chuck as you have a great depth of automotive knowledge and have helped me in regards to rear suspension choice for my next car. Just please don't tell me you don't want to hear what I have to say. :tongue8:

I was parked next to an Aspen with a 360 in it a couple of weeks ago at a show. This engine had an Edelbrock Air-Gap on it and it gave me a good chance to visually compare my CrossWind to the Air-Gap just my looking back and forth.

Visually from the outside they were as different as any two manifolds of the same type for the same engine could be.

The shape of the raised plenum was quite different. The quality of the casting of the CrossWind looked much better than the Air-Gap, it was smoother like an investment casting compared to a sand casting. Fittings were in differnent places and the shape of the water passages weren't the same. The radius of the runners and how they exit the plenum are not the same. Not to mention Professional Products chose to add LA and Magnum mounting provisions to the intake.

So to call it a direct copy is not a correct statement anymore than to call Weiands Air-Strike raised plenum dual plane a direct copy or an M1 dual plane is a direct copy of the Proformer.

I would love to see a comparison between the CrossWind, Air-Gap and Air-Strike to see how much difference there is in function. I do know that I am seeing more and more articles on engine buildups using Professional Products intakes and other parts. One of the rags I read had an add for Chevy and Ford crate motors that they actually advertised the use of Professional Products intakes as a feature.

As far as made in China is concerned it's just a fact of life these days that much of what we purchase is made in China. Even Edelbrock that likes to make a big deal out of "Made in USA" sources their accessory items (valve covers, dress up items, etc) overseas and south of the border.

Thank you dgc for a logical comparison of these manifolds without any assumptive hype. I too would like to see a dyno comparison to these manifolds. Edelbrock valve covers are junk and made in Taiwan. Not that the Taiwanese cannot make a good product, but Edlebrock won't pay them to do so, thier QC sucks, or both. I ordered some and sent them right back.

He he he, sooooooooooo, much is made overseas. Anyone take alook at there belongings in the house? From the mixer of drinks to pots and pans, the fridge, dishwasjer etc.even the tag on your cloths.
Levi's made where................................................................................................mexico.

No joke Rumble, it's a global economy now. I wish it wasn't, but there it is. Who's to blame? The unions? hard to say and I don't know enough about it to comment. I do recall an article in Hot Rod maybe 2 or 3 years ago that adresses this very issue in regards to cranks, rods, and manifolds. Anyone remember or have a link to it?

Good to know ahead of time, if that is the case. I would be really pissed if I got the top end together then went to bolt that Street Dominator on and have the ports not match. It would take a week to get an Eddy RPM shipped to me.

Who's to blame? The unions?
Can't blame them, or anyone person or group.
Union just want the best for there members. Companys cave in. Sometimes, a union can be to strong and stupid. Same goes for a company. Ya gotta pay the worker. Thats the bottom line.

The easiest way to see why things are made cheaply overseas is simple. It is cheap. As our dollor grows stronger, there dollor must compete. If it can not, it grows weak and it starts to look good to do biz over there. Afterall, you wouldn't want to pay the same numeric price or pay the worker in English pounds. It's double the dollor. Get one pound, trade in for 2 green backs.

How wrote that?

A disgruntled Nazi?

The only countrys we had a war with was Germany and Italy. I don't remember much involment after the Brake free from the Brit. Campain. WWI & WWII is it.

I wrote that. WWI and II were well after when I'm talking about. I was a bit off on my time table. Close to 200 years, not 100. When the US hit it's indutrial revolution, the US flooded European markets with stuff made cheaper here. Because we had a ton of people, and a ton of resources, and a bit of Europe didn't any more. They also tended to fight each other a lot, taking resources and money. The "New World" outpaced "Old Europe" very quickly. Now the "New World" is being outpaced by Asia. Only In My opinion here, but if we were willign to spend more on what we have to have, we would be in much less of a predicament. The single biggest driving force in globalization as they call it now is the US consumer. The reason our economy is so strong, is that the market is flooded with cheap stuff from offshore. Meixcan, South American, Asian, Indian... We are now even ouotsourcing service jobs. Our country is truning from a production economy to a service economy because we want $150 roller rockers, and $500 TVs, and $40/ea tires, and $600 laptops. It pumps that dollar out of the country. The trade deficit is so bad becuase both Japan and China play with currency values, and they do not allow free trade. Our products are very much sought after, but the restrictions make it difficult for US products to access those markets. Fair Trade as you hear it only means fair for other country's imports, and it's killing America slowly. I'm not anit globalization. But i am anti "fair trade" that isnt fair.

Our products are very much sought after, but the restrictions make it difficult for US products to access those markets.

You said it right. A buddy of mine was in Europe for a while setting up small companys to sell American stero speakers. They loved the stuff. Eat it up like candy.
Same complaint you write. Can't get (Certian) American stuff sometimes.

I'd love to see a littel godl sticker on everythign in Taiwan.."Made in USA"... :p

Hello,
Great setup. It's similar to my current project. 1980 Volare, 360, Comp Cams XE262 cam, SpeedPro H116CP pistons, 596 heads topped off with a TQ carb and a 727 transmission with 2800 stall with 3.21 sure grip.
However, I'm caught in a dilemna. According to guys I've spoken to at swap meets, my intake manifold choice, an Edelbrock Performer, will not make the power I'm expecting. Having said that, I have available a stock cast iron 1970 340 intake manifold, and a Weiand 8007. I've been told the stock cast iron 340 intake manifold will outflow them all. Any opinion will help with these final steps to completing my project.

The factory intake is a good piece. Heavy, not to much on the PaZaz front. It'll work well with the cam choice and gearing.

The Weiand I have not tried. It shouls out do the factory intake. The plus to it is not only is it T-Q freindly, but lighter and taller. Give it a shot. Let us know.

I have a new Crosswind, and I need to buy an Air Gap. If someone has the weiand I'll test them all before they get used. I agree, the Crosswind has smaller ports,and slightly longer I think, and the dual pattern that i'd like to see a LOT more manufacturers using. The computer you post with is almost eniterly Asian. In fact, your clothes, a lot of your car, all appliances, and most of the food in the food store come from elsewhere. I wont shop at wally world, but not because of imports. The US beat up Europe 100 years ago. Now it's our turn. Get used to it.:)

hey,

why do you NEED an AIR-GAP??....for a comparison??

-
Back