360 J heads porting info

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I was just wondering how would i go about porting a set of 360 J heads. Right now I have them off the car cut for str8ness, and hot tanked valves are still out but i'm going with the 2.02 and 1.60. So i was thinkin of porting these heads my self and just wanted to know what should i cut out and what should i smooth out. This will be the first time i ever attemped to port and polish a set of heads so I need detail on what to do. Thanks

There for a little of both, I would say it will spend about 70% of its life on the street thou and 30% at the track. So i would just say these heads are for street.

What I would do for street and limited racing is, gasket match and bowl blend and a good 3 angle valve job. This should give you all you need and should flow around 230-240 cfm's with the 2.02 valves. For what your trying to do the 1.88 valve would be better and make more torque.

Hey whats the going rate for a valve job and will there really flow 230-240 with the valve job i didn't think they would pick up that much flow. I was thinkin more of 170 to 190

I/We have seen a 35 cfm gain in a good valve job done properly, so yes it's real. a good valve job for racing will run you in the $250.00-$300.00 range.

No, as this should cover the grinding of the valves and cutting of the seats and setting up the installed heights, and cleaning of the heads. Bronze guides generally run in the $10.00 each range and surfaceing is generally $45.00 each range but could be less depending on where you go.

What BJR said...starting with bare 452 castings, the set of heads on my bench now cost me $1200 after parts and tax. New guides, new stainless valves, springs, seals, retainers and locks. The does include some special milling tho. But no porting or flow testing, I do that my self. The valve job is a 5 angle, done on a Serdi. The base cost of it is $300.

i have a pair of j's as well,and was gonna do the same. Mopar what is the advatage of spending $1200 in your heads instead of buying some Eddy's for around the same price?

In this case, I'm experimenting with the KB236 quench dome pistons. They are for use with open chamber heads. I'm just seeing if it's worth the extra setup time to run the psitons, so I'm obligated to using the heads. I am not a millionaire as some might be inclined to accuse me of, but I dont shrink away from spending the money on what I know I need. I also did ream the shop a little because the bill surprised me...lol. Truthfully, Edelbrocks are a great head. But I've handled enough to know there's no way I will bolt them on and run them. So you have the initial cost and shipping $1300-1400. Then the valve job to fix them $250, then the springs I need for the cam I want to run (edelbrock springs will work for max lift, but they dont have the tension I need..many times that is the case with fast rate cams..they dont tell you that tho. Edelbrock just says "to .600 lift...") So really, to have them bolt on, I would have been looking at around $1600 to have them really ready to bolt on. As for me, I built 6 engines last year. 2 418s, a 496, 1 383 and 2 440s. Of those 6, 3 had aluminum heads. The 3 with stroker cranks. The others either didnt want them, or didnt need them, or both. I'm one for being honest, and I wont upsell if the customer doesnt need them to make the requested goal. But I have no qualms about paying to get good work and parts. "You can pay more to do it right once, or you can pay once, then pay more to do it right the second time."

moper said:
In this case, I'm experimenting with the KB236 quench dome pistons. They are for use with open chamber heads. I'm just seeing if it's worth the extra setup time to run the psitons, so I'm obligated to using the heads. I am not a millionaire as some might be inclined to accuse me of, but I dont shrink away from spending the money on what I know I need. I also did ream the shop a little because the bill surprised me...lol. Truthfully, Edelbrocks are a great head. But I've handled enough to know there's no way I will bolt them on and run them. So you have the initial cost and shipping $1300-1400. Then the valve job to fix them $250, then the springs I need for the cam I want to run (edelbrock springs will work for max lift, but they dont have the tension I need..many times that is the case with fast rate cams..they dont tell you that tho. Edelbrock just says "to .600 lift...") So really, to have them bolt on, I would have been looking at around $1600 to have them really ready to bolt on. As for me, I built 6 engines last year. 2 418s, a 496, 1 383 and 2 440s. Of those 6, 3 had aluminum heads. The 3 with stroker cranks. The others either didnt want them, or didnt need them, or both. I'm one for being honest, and I wont upsell if the customer doesnt need them to make the requested goal. But I have no qualms about paying to get good work and parts. "You can pay more to do it right once, or you can pay once, then pay more to do it right the second time."

is this NEW motor going in a certain WHITE cuda??? :-k

Joseph24251_200 said:
Hey whats the going rate for a valve job and will there really flow 230-240 with the valve job i didn't think they would pick up that much flow. I was thinkin more of 170 to 190
With a bowl blend and gasket matching BJR siad. I thought the J head flows around 190 stock on the low side. Some people have posted 215 as a high on a 2.02 equiped J head, no other mods.

Rumble, On my bench, 'J' heads flow 190 range with 1.880 valve and the 2.020 valve will go 200 range. This is 'as cast' with no seat or bowl work and stock Mopar valves. Terry.

Heeeeey, cool man. Thanks.I have a set of J's with 2.02/1.60's. I have had these things for a long time. About ...crud..22 years now.
Those numbers aren't to bad for stock OOTB head, or should I say On & Off The Block
He he he.
Thanks Terry.

In that case, a few trick works and they should do well. Back cut valves, gasket matching and a bowl blending. I can see a mean pick up.

Any one know what the intake cc would be on these heads "J". I have virtual Engine and it ask for the intake cc and i wanted to plug that number in instead of just guessing.

mikesduster said:
is this NEW motor going in a certain WHITE cuda??? :-k
He was happy to see the pics. I cant confirm or deny anything else. ;)

hughes engines just is offering a sportsman cyl head package that shows good flow numbers at lower lifts. Pricewise may be better than paying for all needed prep work locally. Here is the link:

http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11463&eTypeID=1

also mopar performance used to offer a porting template kit P4876412 small block heads. The number is now discontinued but some can still be found by searching out the part number on the net.

-
Back