360 machine shop issues

-

63dartman

Reaction score
Just picked up my roller 360 from a "recommended" shop. I didn't look it over real well until I got it home. I found what looks like some pitting that was not removed. I can feel it with my finger nail. What now? Would it be ok to use on no chance.

Picture 022 (Medium).jpg

Picture 021 (Medium).jpg

Picture 020 (Medium).jpg

clean the bolt holes an use it ;it will be fine ... make sure the oil galley plugs are all in ...happy motoring

This thing? Should be ok, but I'd definitely ask the shop about it. If nothing else, its something that they should have mentioned to you. If nothing other than to keep you from being unhappy with the work, even if it's something they don't think will effect the performance of the engine.

Picture 020 (Medium) copy.jpg

How much of an over bore was done? Did they deck the block or just clean it up? I would also take a good straight edge and check the decks for flatness. (is that a word?)

Doesn't look like the block was decked, as for that little spot, i'm sure it'll be fine, it may not hurt asking the machinest about it & showing him those pics, get his imput for piece of mind.

Thanks for the input guys. I know it's not much and they could have gone another .01 since it is showing a 4.02 overbore. I asked the fricken owner on 3 or 4 different times how much they bored it and each time it was "i'm pretty sure it was .03....." so much for him knowing what's going on. He also doesn't like customers talking to his guys. He is always there at the front counter to answer all the questions you have. Even if he doesn't know. Last time for that shop. Most amazing was he had it for almost 2 months.

Thanks again.

P.S. I will be checking the deck for straightness and bores for taper and roundness

I would also ask them about the cracked bolt hole for the trans.

LOL, I was wondering when someone was going to mention the crack in the mounting hole. It was already like that. I decided to use it since most of it is there and it's not threaded.

A pair of washers with a nut and bolt clamped good and it'll be OK. The cylinders? IDK, I'm not there.

I don't think it's right, but the loss of ring seal will not be fatal or even really noticable when you're driving. I'd say just run it.

I never would've brought a block in for a bore without the pistons. Forged or cast all require different piston to bore clearances and really, letting a block out of the shop with pitting and bore scratching is poor workmanship. You may well have to get it bored/finish honed again after getting new pistons anyway. I can't believe the guy didn't even know what it was bored out too. Personally, I wouldn't let that guy machine a lawnmower.

It also looks like the deck was gone over with a scotchbrite pad on a angle grinder. That will never seal a MLS type gasket.

i never would've brought a block in for a bore without the pistons. Forged or cast all require different piston to bore clearances and really, letting a block out of the shop with pitting and bore scratching is poor workmanship. You may well have to get it bored/finish honed again after getting new pistons anyway. I can't believe the guy didn't even know what it was bored out too. Personally, i wouldn't let that guy machine a lawnmower.

It also looks like the deck was gone over with a scotchbrite pad on a angle grinder. That will never seal a mls type gasket.

x2

Cracked boss for the trans bolt; Heat it red hot, then weld the hell out of it with a stick welder, high nickel rod. Good to go.

Thanks everyone, especially Moper. Moper I was hoping you would comment on this. Just want to let you know that I have read alot of your posts to questions and I value your opinion highly. Thanks again everyone. I will be taking my block to another shop and get his input. He has done work for me before and does top quality work. His prices reflect that too:) So much for trying to save a few pennies.

Take your pistons to that other shop. You need to have the piston-to-wall clearance checked. Different pistons require difference clearances so the shop needs to make sure that clearance is where it needs to be.

-
Back