360 machining work?

-

Greenmachine225

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I just picked up a small block 360 for free, the engine is over all in very good shape for sitting for 15 years except for some surface rust in the cylinders. So my question is how would it cost to get the cylinders bored .030 over and also how much would it cost to get the bottom end balanced? If any of you have any tips on building a reliable performance 360 I could use as much information as I can get, thanks.

IMG_4865.JPG
IMG_4849.JPG
Hey everyone, so I just picked up a small block 360 for free, the engine is over all in very good shape for sitting for 15 years except for some surface rust in the cylinders. So my question is how would it cost to get the cylinders bored .030 over and also how much would it cost to get the bottom end balanced? If any of you have any tips on building a reliable performance 360 I could use as much information as I can get, thanks.

Probably be best to ask the machine shop that's gonna do the work.

I just asked my machinist similar questions. Approx $600 to balance. And I believe boring was approx $230.
But like Rusty said talk directly to a machinist, or a few of them.
Im up in Canuckistan so prices will be different where you're at.

View attachment 1715064182 View attachment 1715064181 Hey everyone, so I just picked up a small block 360 for free, the engine is over all in very good shape for sitting for 15 years except for some surface rust in the cylinders. So my question is how would it cost to get the cylinders bored .030 over and also how much would it cost to get the bottom end balanced? If any of you have any tips on building a reliable performance 360 I could use as much information as I can get, thanks.
machine shop prices seem to vary by shop. Best bet, call around and ask the shops in your area/state. Dont be afraid to drive a little ways for a quality shop. And for your own sake, be leery of a deal if it sounds too good to be true, otherwise you end up with a expensive paperweight like me.

machine shop prices seem to vary by shop. Best bet, call around and ask the shops in your area/state. Dont be afraid to drive a little ways for a quality shop. And for your own sake, be leery of a deal if it sounds too good to be true, otherwise you end up with a expensive paperweight like me.
my best advice is ask around and find someone who does good, solid work, but most importantly gets it done when he says he'll have it done. It also helps a lot if he is fluent in Mopar, because there are some subtleties with Mopar that are important to be aware of.
I've seen many situations where months, sometimes years, are wasted waiting for this supposed guru to finish a job.

my best advice is ask around and find someone who does good, solid work, but most importantly gets it done when he says he'll have it done. It also helps a lot if he is fluent in Mopar, because there are some subtleties with Mopar that are important to be aware of.
I've seen many situations where months, sometimes years, are wasted waiting for this supposed guru to finish a job.
yep, i went thru what everyone said was one of the top racing engine builders in my state..... 16 months later, i get my 440 block back, all messed up, work not fully done and not done right..... why?? because he decided to turn things over to his son and let his son to it all without supervison

Prices will be all over the place. And if you are balancing a 360, you will need to provide the damper along with the crank, as well as know the balance setup for flexplate and torque converter. The damper and flexplate an/or TC are part of the balance setup on a 360.

Are you considering non-stock pistons? Is this the reason for the questions on balance cost?

What is the objective for the engine? How will it and the car be used? Those are the types of questions that need answers for good suggestions to be offered.

Prices for these things vary from shop to shop region to region.

My 360 was balanced for $325
Boring the cylinders with a torque plate was $225.
A hone on another 360 was $60.

For a inexpensive budget build for a "In general" performance engine would be a hone or bore of the block. What ever it takes to clean up the cylinders. Nothing more.
KB-107 slugs or Federal Mougals c116hp coated slugs. (Summit racing has these with rings for cheap)
FWIW, new connecting rods can be purchased cheaper than rebuilding stock rods.
A new oil pump and pick up. Hi-volume not needed.

Once you have a solid short block, your good to go from there. Build as needed.

All of this has been done for under $1500 including the purchase of the engine. I topped my engines with stock heads and intake to Edelbrock heads, intake & carb with the cam of choice and headers to finish off the package(s) I built. They range from a basic but decent upgrade over a basic transport engine to a decent little power packed street strip engine.

What is your ideas and goals?

Oh! Also! A lot of the cost on building an engine lays within the target goal of the engine and what parts as well as where you get your parts account for cost.

Hyper-U slugs are cheaper than forged.
Used intakes are cheaper than new.
Hyd. cams are cheaper than rollers.
Summits basic headers are cheaper than coated TTI
Summits exhaust packages are cheaper than TTI
@PacePerformance ready to run distributors are cheaper than MSD units.
(Same stuff)

-
Back