360 Magnum help

-

Jerry Beckel

Reaction score
here i go again. I have a '74 dart swinger with a 4speed. i also have a 1994 360 magnum that i am going to rebuild. what will i need to change to bolt this in to my car? the car is a V8 originally. i dont have any of the magnum front drive setup so i will be using all the old 318 brackets. and i will be adding a air gap intake. i will need a cam, heads, water pump, fuel pump, flywheel, balancer, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Pilot bearing? :D
Roller timing chain and sprockets
Cam Chain tensioner
Oil pan and pickup
Engine Quest heads with LA intake bolt holes
Hughes 1110 Valve springs and accompanying retainers and locks
At least different exhaust down piping
Cam regrind from Oregon Cam Grinding is about 150
Centrifugal turbo charger
Stroker kit
Self learning Throttle body EFI

OH, sorry I got carried away there towards the end.:D

The 318 mounts are not interchangeable with the 340/360 so your going to need the schumacher 340\360 conversion mounts part #A67LA unless you have the spool mount then it's part #73PLA. And as stated above you've got to have a an LA 360 oil pan that can be had at rock auto cheap for a new pan. Also depending on what your trying for and budgeted to build fellow member mycuda has a set of new reman heads that he is trying to sell cheap you may want to look him up if that's the direction your going. Your also going to need an intake for the magnum setup if you don't go the Engine Quest route but if you do make sure it's drilled for LA style intake's. Go to magnumswaps.com they have every thing under the sun for this conversion including the do's and don't's! Believe me when I say do exactly what they say and DON'T take any short cut's it'll bite you in the ***!!! Been there done that. This is a great swap I did it in my 71' Scamp and don't regret doing it.

Pilot bearing? :D
Roller timing chain and sprockets
Cam Chain tensioner
Oil pan and pickup
Engine Quest heads with LA intake bolt holes
Hughes 1110 Valve springs and accompanying retainers and locks
At least different exhaust down piping
Cam regrind from Oregon Cam Grinding is about 150
Centrifugal turbo charger
Stroker kit
Self learning Throttle body EFI

OH, sorry I got carried away there towards the end.:D
so does anybody make a roller cam for this engine? like Howards, comp?
also what is the best fitting header for this car?

Thank you guys. im really enjoying this car so far and looking forward to the swap. looks like Magswap will soon be my friend. will the 318 oil pan work on the 360?

Thank you guys. im really enjoying this car so far and looking forward to the swap. looks like Magswap will soon be my friend. will the 318 oil pan work on the 360?

The 318 pan won't work, and Oregon Cam grinders can regrind your existing roller for about 150.
Probably need longer pushrods after that.

You have to get an LA 360 style oil pan for a car not a truck! You can find them new on rock auto reasonably priced.

Oh lord!

Hey Jerry, I used a ‘03/5.9 Magnum our of the kids wreck Durango into my ‘79 Dodge Magnum. I did it this way...

Proper for the year car LA motor mounts.
For you, tti headers and exhaust is the best option or Doug’s headers and what ever for exhaust. Summit or Jegs have very good kits. Purchase an “H” pipe kit and install it with the Jegs/Summit kit.

Automatic trans, keep flexplate and boot to torque converter with minor modification to a single bolt hole. EZ job for a 9 year old.
Manual trans, get the Chrysler pilot bearing for the back of the crank and install it. Not sure if it is an ez thing. (I forget)

Heads, there are the EQ heads or Edelbrocks.
Intake/carb, MoPar single or dual plane M1, Edelbrock rpm, Indy. That’s it. I suggest the Edelbrock.

The retried is a good idea but limiting so any cam you use, divide the lift by 1.5 (LA ratio) then multiply by 1.6 (Magnum ratio) for the new lift and make sure the head is capable for its lift first!

If your running the LA front end, a regular fuel pump can be used. Carter has been making fuel pumps for Chrysler for ever. They have high flow mechanical pumps that do not require a regulator.

Also the above timing chain and tensioner is an excellent idea.

Find a viscous fan if you don’t have one. Because s the pants off of a flex fan. The water pump can be a regular off the shelf unit.

The balancer is pulled off with the pulley. The replacement should be available that accepts a regular but separate pulley. Some home work is needed there. Sorry.

OP says he has 94 model year engine, so he will not have the newer one piece balancer and pulley. He should have a traditional harmonic balancer with a bolt-on serpentine pulley. The changeover year was supposedly 2000, but I have a 99 that is one piece, some got switched earlier unless somebody was mixing up parts. Also, OP should read through some of the builds and questions in the Magnum Engine Swaps section lower in the forums on this site. Many good reads here.

Your 318 mounts will fit the mag engine, you just need to shim the drivers mount with some washers.

Any LA style roller cam will fit in the mag block, if going this way get one with a longer snout to run the fuel pump.

If running headers, check them on the engine stand first, you may have to grind the magnum truck mounts on the block to clear the headers, I had to in my case.

Use the magnum style roller pilot bushing for the end of the crank if keeping the 4-speed.

Use LA style gaskets on the oil pan, timing chain cover, with mag head-gaskets, and LA style intake gaskets.

-
Back