360 oiling sytem help?

-

68gtx

Reaction score
have some questions about the oiling system , on a 360 , say comparing a 1980 block and a 1991 block , does the oil follow the same path? i have adjustable rockers and solid pushrods on my truck motor, which is a 1991 360 roller block , ,i think the older smallblock the oil flowed up into the rocker shafts and out onto the rockers , someone told me the rockers on this motor get lubed from the lifters to the pushrods so i cant run the solids? is this true? is there a difference?have read alot of differing info on this, the truck has a 91 bottom end with edelbrock performer heads which use adjustabel rockers, shaft mount, i have read that 92 up engine were the magnum engine which the oil flows up through the pushrods to the rockers and pre magnum was fromthe top down , but have also read that if you want to use old style heads on a newer block there is a boss you can drill out to give the oil flow to the rockers, anyone know about this enough to shed some lite on my issue?

if you have shaft rockers on the 91 360 which it should be ...the oiling is the same as the 80 block..the magnums started around 92...and they do not have shaft rockers...

easy way..count the number of valve cover bolts ...magnums had 10 bolts..the LA 360 (71 to 91) only had 5 bolts.

There is no "boss". There's a 9" hole that has to be drilled from the deck down to intersect with a hole that's less than 1/4" in diameter at the cam bearing. It's not an easy hole to drill successfully, and you have to do it on each side.

360's weren't magnums until 93 and even then those blocks were still drilled for LA style oiling of the rocker shaft.

There is no "boss". There's a 9" hole that has to be drilled from the deck down to intersect with a hole that's less than 1/4" in diameter at the cam bearing. It's not an easy hole to drill successfully, and you have to do it on each side.

Are you sure about the 9" hole, i think it's a misprint. what size should it be.

I'm not sure about the 9" figure but the point he's trying to make is that it's a DEEP ASSED HOLE, and you have to drill it and hit the cam bearing dead center, and of course missing water or "open" crankcase in between. A very good way to turn a useable LA into junk if you aren't skilled. It takes a fair sized mill to hold an engine block.

have some questions about the oiling system , on a 360 , say comparing a 1980 block and a 1991 block , does the oil follow the same path? i have adjustable rockers and solid pushrods on my truck motor, which is a 1991 360 roller block , ,i think the older smallblock the oil flowed up into the rocker shafts and out onto the rockers , someone told me the rockers on this motor get lubed from the lifters to the pushrods so i cant run the solids? is this true? is there a difference?have read alot of differing info on this, the truck has a 91 bottom end with edelbrock performer heads which use adjustabel rockers, shaft mount, i have read that 92 up engine were the magnum engine which the oil flows up through the pushrods to the rockers and pre magnum was fromthe top down , but have also read that if you want to use old style heads on a newer block there is a boss you can drill out to give the oil flow to the rockers, anyone know about this enough to shed some lite on my issue?
The roller 360 blocks oil system is the same as the earlier years. Yes the rocker arm sockets are oiled by the pushrods as the rocker arms in those years have no splash oil hole on top of the pushrod socket. They also oil up through the deck and to the rocker stands like any LA motor. The oil holes running down from the pass. side galley to the mains are also up sized.

Using solid lifters in a magnum style engine is simple. Use AMC V8 lifters and hollow pushrods and that'll oil the rocker arms. That's what I'm running in my 408 with EQ magnum style heads.

I read it as putting LA heads on a Magnum shortblock was the goal. Yes, the "9 inch" comment was an estimate. I know I can't do it with anything I have and the guys that have the equipment would rather not try and damage anything. I would approach it like Fishy's: running hollow pushrods and oiling that way. Most cam companies now have the AMC lifter that ships with the Mopar cams. I know both Crane and Comp do that now. That was simple catalog consolidation but it works in our favor.

First we need to know if the OP has a Mag or LA motor. The 91 360 should still be LA. The roller LA motors oiled through the pushrods and the deck. If he goes solid the rockers will be replaced with after market units and the need for pushrod oiling will no longer be needed. Assuming its an LA motor.

I have a 91 roller 360 block and it oils the valve train through the block up to the rocker shaft. It also has the ability to oil through the pushrods if you get hollow ones. The hyd lifters have oil holes to do that. You cannot run LA heads on a roller block that doesn't have the oil hole drilled up to the head to lube the rocker shaft. Oil coming up through the pushrods isn't sufficient enough to lube the rockers on their shaft. Running magnum heads on a LA block is okay with a simple hollow lifter/pushrod change because the rockers are a pedestal type and are designed to be oiled through the pushrod.

Your solid pushrods are fine. In fact, if they were hollow, you'd have a lot of oil in the top end, more than you need.

Also, AMC lifters and hollow pushrods are for a magnum head on a LA block conversion, and are for flat tappet cams. The OP has a late LA roller block that can accept any type of head. Although, if a magnum head is bolted on, it's wise to tap and plug the oiling holes in the block so there isn't any concern for leaks at the head gasket.

-
Back