360 pulley alignment..

-

razorback

Reaction score
ok..so ive noticed my crank pulley is off alignment from my water pump pulley. its further back. i bought the chrome mancini racing pulley thinking i had wrong pulley on there..but same offset. it will be single grove pulley, no ac or ps do i need the crank pulley spacer i see on mancini?

You shouldn't need a crank pulley spacer. Is it a re-manufactured water pump? If so maybe they didn't press it together all the way. I've seen that happen.

BTW: How does the alternator pulley line up to the crank pulley?

its a waterpump ive had. looks new. maybe i have the wrong pulley? what is the distance between the front and back part of your pulley? ive tried the other pulley i have but it had the same result. the alt wont be a good way to gauge it, as its not the stock one..im using an aftermarket one thats not even meant for a dodge motor. ill go take a pic and post it, maybe that will help.

here is a pic.

278738.jpg

i plan on ordering a chrome pulley from mancini..but if i have the same problem i dont know if it would work.. its only offset by about 1/8 inch.

Not sure where the water pump pulley came from... but it looks strange. Possibly a later model LA with AC or air pump.. it looks short to me.

i cant remember if it came off of the early 70s/late 60s d100 or the same year fury 2 with ac.... id say they were an early la engine..

i planned on getting a new pulley anyway..i think this is a good time to do it.

The '70 and up pulleys have a different offset then the '69 and earlier pulleys. The earlier pulleys ride closer to the engine. What water pump are you running? Is it a cast iron one with the lower hose on the driver's side for the '69 and earlier engines? If you are running the cast iron water pump then the water pump pulley should be 2 3/4" total distance deep (sit it on a flat surface and it should be that height). The early crank pulleys are 1 1/2" from balancer surface to middle of pulley groove.

The later model pulleys are being reproduced:

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEpulleys.asp

finally ordered a pulley and it lined up perfectly. it was just the wrong "offset" works now, just gotta reposition my alt now.

also got my flexible dipstick tube for 727...so close to being done...

This info. is great, thank you 340S.

Your 2-3/4 for the cast Iron pump pulley matches what i measured on mine.

I have a crank pulley that measures 2-1/4 total... could be 70 or later crank pulley?
You dont know the total height on that eh?

I dont have a pump yet, maybe i have a miss-matched pulley set.
Yikes, no matter which pump i choose, i need one pulley.

Would you use a cast iron or alluminum with a 68?, i know with the alluminum i won't see the timinng marks very well.....

This info. is great, thank you 340S.

Your 2-3/4 for the cast Iron pump pulley matches what i measured on mine.

I have a crank pulley that measures 2-1/4 total... could be 70 or later crank pulley?
You dont know the total height on that eh?

I dont have a pump yet, maybe i have a miss-matched pulley set.
Yikes, no matter which pump i choose, i need one pulley.

Would you use a cast iron or alluminum with a 68?, i know with the alluminum i won't see the timinng marks very well.....

The cast iron pump has the inlet on the drivers side and the aluminum pump has the inlet on the pass. side so you need to use what ever pump works with your radiator and timing cover. If everything is original 68 parts it'll be the cast iron pump. Aluminum pumps weren't used until 70. I have a couple extra pulleys that I don't need but I'm not sure what they fit. Once you figure out what depth and diameter pulley you need pm me and I'll see if I have one that'll fit. I have no need for them so if I have one that'll work for you it'll be cheap.

Bolted up what my engine builder ordered me- a 70's pump, passenger side dump. So, yes- can't see my timing marks that well on the flipside, it works with the rad i have.
So far, im trying my best to keep things "Original" but i dont have an original rad either so...
I dont know if its worth the swtich to the correct cast Iron 68-69 pump, seems like everyone is using the alluminum pumps.

I think i have the pump pulley thats for the Cast Iron pump though---
From what i can figure, The Alluminum pump pulley sits 3 inches in height. (cast pump pulley sits 2-3/4)...

Thanks for the input

-
Back