360 small block (big power)

-

hondakiller

Reaction score
While ago i found few people with 360 in there a bodies that where turning some good times on the track all motor now that it is time for me dig in to my pocket cant seem to find they setups so if any one could help me out that would be great im shooting for low 11 high 10 on all motor i know it can be done i have seen it idk if that was on octane 93 or not tho so if any one could help me out thanks ..sorry about the spelling and gramer im typeing all this from my cell phone

That's easy enuff, however, is this a street strip ride or track only set up.

FWIW, I would not consider that big power, but a handful it can be.
Is stroking it out of the question?

street strip car just able to bust *** on street when needed and win some money on tracks but i really didt want to stroke it bottom end wise i was gonna go with 12.0:1 compretion just not sure if it will work on pump gas

Read the other thread on high comp & pump gas you stared.

A in general idea would be a max of 11-1 alumin headed 360 with race parts in it.

IE;

Fully ported heads w/high quench, big roller cam & carb & tube headers, hi-stall gear 4.56's or higher numerically.
Fully preped suspension fore and aft, reduced total car weight.

thats not to bad i was able to get 408hp on a 318 with out going in to bottom end so 500+ hp on 360 with me going in to bottom end shouldt be that hard then

Generallly speaking, yes, it's more in the proper cam and head choice than anything else. The bottom end will require some good parts. You could get away with a zero deck piston and small combustion chambered head. Somewhere less than 63 cc's. (60 and down should do it depending on head gasket choice.)

Here is the setup in my duster as it sits.

72' 360 block .040 over
worked 360 J heads
worked M-1 intake
750 DP
284 solid purple shaft bumping full commando valve gear
Everything else on the motor is stock. With only these minor modifications, it still runs high 12's. Consistently. It wont take too much to make it into the 11's or maybe even into the 10's. If I choose to go that fast......

good luck!

IMHO it'll be allot harder to get 520 hp out of a 360 than it was to get 400 out of a 318. You need much better heads, allot more cam, bigger carb, big tube headers, allot of compression and then you won't have much torque so you'll need a pretty wild stall and some low gears and sticky tires.

Again JMHO but a stroker is the way to go for a street/strip warrior. You could make a much more street friendly 408/416 do 500 hp on 9.5 to 10-1 compression that'll need less stall and gear to run the numbers you want. And it wouldn't cost much more to do it and run om pump gas which a 12 to 1 360 won't. The price difference between buying a new stroker crank vs. re-doing yours is about the only price diff. I can think of. Pistons and rods need to be upgraded on either one anyway. Plus 520 hp needs to be internally balanced with either engine if you want it to live a long life. Just something to chew on.

Good point fishy. He did say he didn't want to stroke it, but that would provide the best soulution to the puzzle. The cost difference is the crank and piston choices. I say pistons because this is a job for a fordged unit, not a Hyper-U. It can be done with a KB107. However, I do really think a fordged piston would be better here.

The kid is gonna hammer it alot.

well if i have to stroke it to get it to where i need it to be guess i dont have much of a choice

I didn't mean you didn't have a choice. I just meant IMHO it would be allot better street engine cause you would only run 9.5 to 1 compression and a lower stall converter and taller gears making a more street friendly engine vs. having a real radical 360 that needs a 4000+ converter with 4.30 or 4.56 gears to run the times you want it too.

Why are you against a stroker? Have you ever ridden in a car with a stroker? I never used to think there would be as much difference until I rode in a 69 Dart with one. It was real mild still using J-heads and a fairly mild street cam but had no trouble turning consistent 12.40's. The torque was awesome. Like a good running 440. I have a strong running street 360 and it put's mine to shame. Mines lumpy'er and even though it has decent torque it doesn't compare to my buddies Dart.

You can get there both ways so the choice is yours. A super radical 360 that requires mixing pump gas and AV gas and gets 3-4 mpg or a tuff sounding stroker that only needs pump gas and gets maybe as much as 10 mpg.

im not against them ...but in your opinion with a stroker kit how would you go about a good setup for 500hp or low 11 high 10 in a 1/4 point me in a good direction

Cast 4" crank
10.5:1
Edelbrock heads with a decent clean up
Lunati 60404 hyd cam
headers
Air Gap
850 carb

Make right at 510-530 hp

You can get there with a 360 but it won't be as streetable
11.5-12:1
solid cam 250-260 at .050 .575 lift
Victor 340
W2 or really good ported edelbrock.
1 7/8" headers
4500+ vertor
4.56's
28-29" tire
You can do it with stock rods and a cast crank too. I know a few that spin 7000+.

Considering there are quite a few SB strokers with ported or cleaned up e-heads making in excess of 500hp, the volume isn't really an issue.

And this is a street/pump gas engine too... Not a high winding race only piece

are there and drop in stroke kits i know im deff gonna have to have it bored but wast sure about rest of bottom end ..also i guess porting my heads would really help it i have a 71 360 which has the same heads used on the s/b 6 pack with the swirl vaves and such

I don't know about drop in kits but if you call Hughes engines or Mancini's or another reputable builder they can help you get what you need. If you can find a local engine machine shop that has a good Mopar guy that'll be a big help. Actually those 71 360 heads are not the same as the 6 pack heads. They have the same casting # and both are J heads but the 360 heads are small valves and have the stock location pushrods. The 6 pack heads by the same # have big valves and the pushrods were re-located over a bit to open up the intake port for more air flow. Neither had swirl valves either. Swirl valves didn't come along until at least 80 but I don't remember the exact year. To get 500 hp with those heads you'll spend as much as if you bought a new set of E-brocks.

hmm i could have sworen the a engin book i have from mopar said that the heads were identical but i will take your word for it...the swirl part was my mistake for some resoin i was thinking about my 302 heads on my 318

hmm i could have sworen the a engin book i have from mopar said that the heads were identical but i will take your word for it

They have the same casting # but they are not the same. fishy68 is right on. For a 500HP stroker ebrocks may be a better choice anyway.

-
Back