360 Stoker Kit

-

Dust'em

Reaction score
hey i dont know if this has been posted, but i am looking in to possibly getting getting a stroker kit for my 74 360 duster. i need advice as far as where to look and place to go. also any advantages or problems his kit could cause.

Don't buy it balanced for the manufacturer. Have your local shop do the balance work.

Scat makes a good set up.

Please explain why not order it balanced from manufacturer? Was looking at a balanced kit from hughes, does that fall into the same category?

the manufacturer will use the box weights on the pistons and rods...

where the local machine shop should weight each piston and rod separate...

Please explain why not order it balanced from manufacturer? Was looking at a balanced kit from hughes, does that fall into the same category?

Ask them how its done at their location.

I have a SCAT kit in my 408 and I had it balanced by them.

When I had the short block done, I asked my shop to check everything out. It ends up the SCAT kit was perfect and nothing was needed to be done by my shop. I did give my machine shop the balancer and flexplate I was going to use.

I might have been lucky, but if you do have it balanced, have your shop double check it. It was a lot cheaper to have it balanced by SCAT then it would have been by my shop.

The SCAT kit used cast crank, I-beam rods, KB forged pistons (10-1), clevite rod and main bearings, ARP rod bolts, and I think total seal rings. It also had the print out of where and how much weight was added, and all of the specs from the balancer. My machine shop was impressed with the quality of parts. SCAT even numbered the rods and pistons for assembly. The shop did not need to notch the bores for the rods to clear the bottom; this was put in a 94 Magnum 5.9. I bought it through flatlander racing and it was shipped directly from SCAT to my door.

This was my experience, but others may have a different tale to tell, all in all I would use them again.

what kind of horsepower gains am i looking at. i believe the baseline is something like 245 hp.

You should be able to get at least 400 HP and TQ flywheel, it will depend on what cam and pistons you are using. In my case I wanted lots of TQ, so I went with a milder cam. I do have the option of changing the cam and going for more HP. Mine is also a roller motor, so my cam whould not help you.

valentek

Look at Hughes Engines website (technical?) for some of their dyno results. 450bhp is pretty easy with a 408 w/good heads.

Here's the kit that I just bought. As far as I can recall. Our local shop is a dealer for Indy, so we bought it through them. New shiny parts sure look purty.

I had the balancing done here. There were what seemed like weights written on the piston skirts, so maybe they did them there, but the crank was done here.

http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=32

I bought a scat kit. My machine shop was very happy with the parts as was I. I used a roller block and Edelbrock heads, and air gap intake, and a Bigs Performance Stage 7 750 carb. Comp cam and roller rockers, and a MSD E-curve distributor. Very happy with the build.

Do you have a local machine shop you use?If so check with them first.I had quotes from Hughes and some of the other large franchises and he beat there prices with better parts to boot.I have used him for years so i know
when i get the parts back every thing will be done properly with the paperwork and know exactly whats been done.No surprises on assembly day.

-
Back