360 stroker build

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok guy I have plans for the duster and it involves mostly race limited street.

My requests

Small block Mopar
500-600hp range
no forced induction
I am waning to run nitrous on top of the 500-600hp

The only reason I do not want to run a big block is because I have a 4 speed in the car already and would like to keep it.

Now this is not going to happen soon but I am wanting to build it myself

Why can't you run a big block with the 4 speed?

Well, I think he is running what he has rather than a full change of eNguni and gear for the big block swap. It would require a bell housing. And at the power level, a scattersheild is needed and expensive.

do you have a chassis to handle 600 horse ?
you may want to get the chassis hooked 1st
a nitrous hit on top of 500- 600 horse will get your car out of shape in a real hurry.

im planning a 500+ build and ive got over 5000 in parts for the motor already and need about another 3000

I built a basic Eddy headed 10 to 1 solid cam 408. ( 6 years ago.) Hyper pistons? Scat cast steel crank /reworked rods/ balanced. Ported heads myself ,lapped seats in. Cost was about 6500- 7000 bucks. It's worth it I.M.O., but not cheap or easy.

The spline count has nothing to do with what engine you run, only which clutch set you run.

The spline count has nothing to do with what engine you run, only which clutch set you run.

I know price is not cheap and the car will be made to handle the power but it will be a long build so I can slowly build it but if I can use my trans with a big bock everything changes

I think you should start by just banking money. As was noted just the engine will require $7-8K in parts and machining. How many 400+hp cars have you driven before?

Get a budget together before you start doing anything. I mean get a notebook and calculator and price everything from the stroker kit to the new break in oil. Then add another couple thousand for the things that you forgot because it will happen. Then try to save up 3/4 of that and get busy.

Also what's going on with the rest of the car? As stated before you have to really be on top of the chassis with that amount of power or you will end up with a 600 hp car that runs 2 second 60 foot times and goes down the track looking like a crooked mess.

What 4 speed are you running? I do not know much about the four speeds but can the mopar four speeds handle 600 hp reliably?

Get a budget together before you start doing anything. I mean get a notebook and calculator and price everything from the stroker kit to the new break in oil. Then add another couple thousand for the things that you forgot because it will happen. Then try to save up 3/4 of that and get busy.

Also what's going on with the rest of the car? As stated before you have to really be on top of the chassis with that amount of power or you will end up with a 600 hp car that runs 2 second 60 foot times and goes down the track looking like a crooked mess.

What 4 speed are you running? I do not know much about the four speeds but can the mopar four speeds handle 600 hp reliably?

He's running a A833 4 speed and it should handle a lot.
I'm ( real life/real time experience) in the middle of the same thing.
Yet I'm going more one step at a time. And even the first step is 4k-5k!
this way I can get use to the power while getting to drive/race the car.
Then when I get more $$ I can ad bigger heads and bigger cam.
Then when I get more $ $ I can ad more.
:burnout:

That's not a bad way to do it. I just wanted to pull mine once and get it all done then put it back in. It was tough saving up the money and it sucked having the motor out for about a month but I have been able to enjoy it for over a year without doing anything more then changing fluids and checking some bolts.

Best of luck and be safe once you get it going :)

lakewood scattershield and bolt it up. The only think the motor sees of the trans is the clutch pads. Have you considered a small block turbo setup? Easy on the driveline (although a stick would be less than ideal) and capable of big numbers. probably cheaper than a 600HP N/A small block. And for your budget, a used gen3 hemi could be bought and youll be on your way. But do what your comfortable doing. N/A Big block big torque big power low tech.

They used the A833 on everything up to a Hemi. I had the guys at STICK ONLY in sun valley CA. Build mine to the T. I beat the crap out of that tranny on the track and street for years and never missed a beat.
You can also look for a stroker someone started and couldn't afford to finish that may save you money. Just a thought.

lakewood scattershield and bolt it up. The only think the motor sees of the trans is the clutch pads. Have you considered a small block turbo setup? Easy on the driveline (although a stick would be less than ideal) and capable of big numbers. probably cheaper than a 600HP N/A small block. And for your budget, a used gen3 hemi could be bought and youll be on your way. But do what your comfortable doing. N/A Big block big torque big power low tech.

turbo and a manual is not ideal like you said but I want to do it NA other then the nos but to say im not cheating to make the 500-600hp

I think if I can use my trans I have now with a big block I will go that direction

The first step is to make a choice lol. I go back and fourth a lot but you have to look at the pros and cons. A big block will have much better street manners. The small
Block would be a ton of fun to wind out with a stick though.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Read a lot of forums on the argument between the two. Create a detailed budget for both. I read a lot of threads where guys get a thought in their head for a great build but it's really just a idea and usually dies there. Personally when I was 18 I did a cheap small block build and I don't regret using a small
Block. Now my next car will have a big block though :)

-
Back