360 swap manifolds ?s

-
here are some 661x manifolds mounted to an LA for reference. Im afraid the power steering is just too large for any manifold option short of the original 273 piece. I would think the 67 273 piece with the downward exit would flow better than the choked 65 273 that fires back after that awful turn. Would have to change out the exhaust on that side but you could get a mandrel bend that doesnt reduce the ID.
P1010002.JPG

Treblig, will either of those fit my application? Unless you know something I don't, neither manifold will fit with power steering. The 340 exits right into the steering box apparently.

Doug 371, what made it not fit? What did you end up using instead?

I was set on using the manifolds so went with manual steering conversion

I was set on using the manifolds so went with manual steering conversion

Der ya go. These light cars dont really need power steering unless you do a lot of parallel parking. Once your going, its pretty light steering. I admit though that the 65 power steering was a hoot, steering with one finger.

Manual swap just isn't an option for me. This car has the original factory power steering that it was ordered with. How much of that 273 manifold can actually be hogged out before it gets dangerously thin? Also I'm trying to find some rubber mounts for my swap and I'm having a hard time with it. Don't want anything special just factory rubber. I've considered going solid but not sure that's the best option for me. I've heard that the slant six used the same rubber mounts as the 273 and I've got brand new rubber under my slant now so if that's the case I'm good to go. Anyone confirm this?

Left and right mount the same. Not hard to find once you know what they look like. I will see if I have a old one I can take a picture of.

Autozone has them for 16 bucks a pop. What I'm curious about is whether or not the slant six rubber mounts are the same as the V8s? If so that woud save me a lot of cash.

Why not use a driver's side 340 manifold and a Magnum manifold on the passenger's side? I am almost 100% sure the 340 manifold will fit with power steering. It's real tight but I think it fits.

Why not use a driver's side 340 manifold and a Magnum manifold on the passenger's side? I am almost 100% sure the 340 manifold will fit with power steering. It's real tight but I think it fits.

Id absolutely do that if it would work but it doesn't. The manifold goes down instead of back and it ends right into the power steering. Raising or lowering the engine may help or as talked about here, shaving the flange down would bring it closer to the block and head which may work or help or may introduce a new set of problems I dunno. I will probably have to make a custom header for that side or cut up an existing cheap header.

Id absolutely do that if it would work but it doesn't. The manifold goes down instead of back and it ends right into the power steering. Raising or lowering the engine may help or as talked about here, shaving flange down would bring it closer to the block and head which may work or help or may introduce a new set of problems I dunno. I will probably have to make a custom header for that side or cut up an existing cheap header.

Let me put it this way. People put low deck BIG BLOCKS in earl As using the 68-69 big block HP manifold. If THAT will fit, I think you can find a way.

Why not run the Hedman tight tubes? They drop in on the passenger's side and the driver's side requires the #1 tube to be relocated. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Let me put it this way. People put low deck BIG BLOCKS in earl As using the 68-69 big block HP manifold. If THAT will fit, I think you can find a way.

Why not run the Hedman tight tubes? They drop in on the passenger's side and the driver's side requires the #1 tube to be relocated. There's a thread on it somewhere.

At one time I looked into a big block swap and buying the Schumacher mounts raises the engine up to help alleviate clearance issues. As far as manifolds go, using factory Abody big block manifolds work OR using the old school sweeping manifolds from a max wedge car work. And that's in a 67 and up car.

Again these will work but probably not with power steering. As other people have mentioned trying 340 manifolds on power steering it just doesn't fit. I mean if I was bound and determined to run these I could but the amount of work it would take with hacking and chopping would ruin the car. The simple answer is to dump the power steering but I'm not willing to do that. That's at least a 550 dollar answer to the problem and I wouldn't be happy with it anyway. If I was building a drag car Id just hack the fenders up and run headers or shim the engine up high enough I could forget about clearance issues but this is my street driven car and I need it to handle some too.

I'm interested in those headers though. I've though about maybe buying a set of cheap headers and some tubing and just go to town on them and make them fit. So far it seems like my only option if I want a good flowing extractor.

I used the 53010187 on the drivers and what looks to be 53010186 on the passenger side(I ground the number off before writing it down) they are off of a 97 or 98 360 truck. They have 1 7/8 opening but it looks like they could be opened up some more. I did have them shaved .125 off of the mating surfaces. Had to trim the air tube blank off of the passenger side and notch the rear ear top on the drivers side where the pipe bolts on . I had already changed to manual steering. I also removed about 1/2 to 3/4 inch out of the column tube. I was so happy to get them I put them on without taking any pictures. the only pics I got are on my thread on here after they were installed. My heads are port matched to the gaskets and the manifolds really match nice.If you need anymore info don't hesitate to ask.

-
Back