360 timing

-
Ted; No "fix the distributor" is not plugging the vacuum line.Did you reread post#5? This is the 3rd time I have referred you to it.The engine has many different timing requirements, depending mostly on LOAD and RPM. The two most important are POWER timing,and IDLE timing.Then are; tip-in, part throttle, and cruise.When we "fix" the dist., we take it apart, modify and adjust it so that it will address as many of those requirements as possible. Its not always possible with factory type dizzys to hit all the marks, and compromises will have to be made. It is possible to buy a dizzy that is more user-friendly than the stock Mopar one. Its also possible to purchase an adjustable electronic box to install between a locked out dizzy and the coil which more closely meets the engines needs. And finally, you can get a fully adjustable computerized box, that will get really close to ideal.It kinda depends on how much you want to spend or how perfect you want/need it to be, or how much you are able/willing to do yourself and how much time you have to get the job done.
-A typical scenario goes like this: the engine on the dyno with non-octane limited gas makes best hp&tq with 37*. But on the street with a lessor fuel starts to rattle at 34*.So right there is the first compromise. Next, a little experimentation, finds a best idle timing of 22*.But wait, like your dist., theres 20* in the dist. So 34-20=14; 14*is what we had to set the idle timing to get the 34* of power timing.This compromise can be changed. We need to take the dist. apart and modify it to get the 22* the engine wants, and the 34* it is limited to. Next on the list is tip-in and part throttle.I lump them together because they are somewhat inter-related.So lets say the dist has been modded to get the 34*power and the 22*idle timings. Next we will have to figure out how early/late the engine will accept timing increases.The more quickly and accurately you give the engine what it wants, the nicer it will respond to load increases; until you get rattle.Rattle is not allowed.So for this theoretical engine, it might accept a timing rate increase of 12* in 2000 rpm.So if it idles at 1000rpm, then by 3000 it will accept the 22* initial plus the 12* equals 34*.This is typically called the "all-in timing". It might also be that this theoretical engine would accept 12* in 1000rpm, or 12* in 500 rpm. In every case the dist would need to be modded to make those numbers. Are you understanding this yet? Reread as many times as you need to, to kinda get it.
-So now, lets say the dist. has been modified, to deliver the correct power and idle timing, and rate of advance. By this time the engine will be operating pretty good already.And on a track-only engine, which pretty much operates on only two parameters; namely WOT and idle, you could pretty much run it as is. Now a street-engine, spends most of its life in the lower rpms, and load settings, and is saddled with street-friendly gears, and converters, and spends a very significant time at idle, or lightly accelerating,and not to forget; cruising. This is a whole different world.This is the world where the vacuum advance lives and works.It is also the place where the most compromises have to be made.
-For instance, going back to the theoretical engine as above, the power timing was limited to 34*. And light throttle vacuum peaks at 2500 rpm.So it will want to cruise around there. 2500rpm happens to be about 60mph with a tire that rolls out at 83inches(just like your 14 inchers) and 3.23 gears.So thats pretty good. So you take it for a cruise with vacuum advance disconnected, and find the fuel useage unacceptably low. The engine wants a ton of more timing to boost its cruise efficiency.It may want 50 to 60 degrees, at 2500rpm.So you put a timing lite on it, and rev it to 2500, and see something like 28*.We are only half way there(to 55*). What to do? Well all vintage factory "cans"(vacuum advance units) have a number stamped on the actuating arm, ranging from about 8 to 20.( thats all Ive seen). These numbers indicate the number of degrees the can is able to advance. So you determine that you have the 20* one. That means this can is able to add 20* to the 28* the theoretical engine currently has at 2500. Doing the math, thats a total of 48*. Right there is another compromise.We are about 7* short. Not a huge problem,for cruising, unless you are planning a cross country trip.It does, however, also compromise all low rpm/low load operations.So we are stuck with that can.Unless you modify it, which to a degree, can be done.But lets leave it for now.
-This can also serves another purpose. It has an adjustment screw down in the vacuum nipple, that can be adjusted to alter the rate of advance, proportional to the amount of applied vacuum.If you set it on the soft side, it will begin to bring the advance in earlier,at a lower engine vacuum.If you set it on the hard side it will take more vacuum to get it to begin advancing.Knowing this,we can now experiment a bit.Also remember that the can only works at light loads/ higher vacuum numbers. Its possible to map the can.(might get into that later).Its also possible for it to operate at higher rpms/light loads.For most applications though, it should NOT operate at idle.
-The optimum operation of this device can only be determined by trial and error testing, often involving a great deal of time.As it gets closer to optimum there will be much improvement; in tip-in, as will as low rpm cruise quality, and of course, fuel consumption.
-As camshaft durations get bigger,the low rpm engine vacuum generally suffers.And the compromises are more numerous.The cam in your engine is probably bigger than most guys would be willing to run, except maybe as a weekend bomber.I ran a Mopar 292/509 cam, for a bit, with 1.6 rockers.I measured it as 239*@.050 intake and about .540 lift. I ran it just long enough to get the tune done. Then a neighbor kid liked it so much he wanted it.I sold it without much convincing. Then I switched to a 223*@.050 cam.I loved that cam in my daily driver. When it died(due to zinc phase-out), I switched to a 230*@.050 cam.Its ok I guess.
-So thats the end of todays lesson.What an amazing device.

yes #5 by trailbeast. my distributor may not be stock, it sits a lot higher than one in my truck, but I don't know car vs. truck and different years. it may be stock. i am rereading it.

just getting ready to plug off vac advance and there is no resistance when drawing on the hose. So either it has failed or it has been rendered inoperable.

900 20*
1000 24.5*
1500 36*
2000 42*
2500 44*
3000 46*
3500 49*
4000 51*
4500 51*
vacuum line plugged off.

Wow! I thought in an earlier post the max was 45*. Do I remember it wrong, or has something changed? In any case,doing the math; 51-20=31* in the distributor.Thats too much. No, thats; WAY too much.But the better news is that the rate of advance is in the ballpark....Just to double-check; Thats with no vacuum advance.
-First,the tools; You will need a tachometer,a vacuum guage and a timing lite, and a pen/paper. So heres what I would do.Lets see what the engine likes for idle timing. With the engine off, loosen the dist. hold down screw so that with a little effort, the dist can be moved.Hook up the vacuum guage to an intake manifold source.Hook up your timing lite.Next,with the trans in Park,start the engine and let it warm up.Now, I assume since you supplied the 900 rpm number, that the engine idles there. Thats good.Is the idle speed stable? If you lightly blip the throttle, does it return to idle nicely? If yes and yes,then we can continue.If no, we will have to address that first. Assuming yesses,watch the vacuum guage for a bit. Is the needle jumping around, or drifting lazily up and down, or pretty much hanging around one point? If its jumping around, find a small clamp and pinch the hose lightely until it stabilizes.Blip the throttle a couple of times to be sure it still indicates properly.It must move fairly freely, just not jumpy.If it drifts around we will need to adjust the idle mixture screws. If its stable, we can proceed. So, write down exactly what the V-guage is saying( to the nearest 1/2* or even 1/4*) and the /associated rpm with it and the associated advance degrees. Next, advance the dist. 2 degrees per the lite. Did the rpm go up or down?Next put the rpm back to where it was before the advance was added. For the test to be meaningful the rpm has to remain consistently the same. Then again read the V-guage. Write all the numbers down,again. Now we analyze the results.Is the second vacuum number higher or lower than the first? If higher add 2 more degrees and repeat the rpm and V-guage readings.Keep doing this until the V-guage readings no longer increase. But if the V-guage results from the first test went lower, then take the 2* out that you put in there, plus 2*more.Again, keep taking out by 2s until you find the highest vacuum reading.Ok thats part one.(Now I dont normally, go through all the trouble of writing this stuff down.But Im asking you to, so that if you get lost, you can always return to the beginning. And also, you will be able to see the how things work out. Usually I just pull on the can until the rpm stops rising, then put the idle speed back, then repeat. The highest idle will usually be the point of highest vacuum.This is a shortcut.Same results.However, if the idle timing gets to be too high, the hot-start sometimes suffers, as the starter may have trouble, experiencing "kick-back", and possible failure.)
-Now, re-evaluate the idle quality and stability just like we did in the beginning. Is the V-guage needle stable? When you blip the throttle, does the rpm return nicely to the same vacuum reading? Does the engine sound happy?I realize this is a subjective question, but answer as best as you can. What is the new idle timing number? Theres a real good chance that the original 20* was close. Thats part 2 done.
-Now,climb in the saddle,and jam on the brakes, and put it into first gear.What happens? Rpm still stable? Idle quality still good? If yesses, Shift it from 1st to Neutral and back, several times. All good? Ok with brakes still jammed on, and trans in 1st, just feed it a bit of throttle, and back off.Still good? Ok, next blip it a bit. Dont go crazy, just a little blip.Still good? If at any time, the engine stumbles,coughs,hesitates or just generally isnt happy, we will have to pursue, and remedy that. Ok end part 3,done.Well almost, put it back into Park.
-At this point we have determined what the engine likes for idle timing. Do not drive it this way.Now I will await your report back.
-If at any time,you think that the idle mixture isnt right,or the needle starts to drift around, or you just want to fool with it, heres the procedure.First you need to know which carb-screws to mess with. IIRC you said you had a Carter on there,right? Ok first the mixture screws; Air cleaner probably off, standing in front of the rad, looking at the joint line where the carb meets the intake manifold, behind the T-stat housing.Pointing at you will be two screws with flat slots in them.They have little springs on them, visible just under the screwheads. They are referred to, in order of popularity, as; mixture screws,or idle screws,or idle mixture screws, or A/F screws,or pilot screws, or low speed screws, or pilot air screws........The list goes on.Ok next, you probably already know which screw controls the curb idle speed. Those are the only 3 screws we are going to monkey with.The mixture screws are always treated the same.So, engine off. We need to be sure the mixture screws are currently both adjusted the same.You will need to gently screw them in(cw), until they LIGHTLY bottom, counting the turns as you go.If they werent the same,return them to the starting point and make them so.Next, with trans in park, start the engine and warm it up.Next,increase the idle SPEED to about 2000ish rpm.Then screw each mixture screw in(cw) 1/2 turn.As you do this, observe the idle speed.If the speed went down, then put the screws back where you found them, and then turn them out(ccw) 1/2 turn each, again observing the idle speed. What we want is to find the highest rpm that the screws can produce.Generally this will fall between 1.5 and 3 turns out from lightly seated.If it doesnt, and the timing is close,and there are no intake leaks, then we will have to pursue the reason.Next, if the engine temp is ok, increase the idle speed to 2500ish, and repeat the adjusting procedure.Hopefully the results will be the same. Finally return the idle speed to where you started, and observe the idle stability and quality, both in Park and 1st.If all goes well, it will be right on.Thats usually all there is to it.

no. It was 45* at 3500 last night. Only reading that i took.
Tonight i plugged the vac line and took readings all the way up till it stopped advancing like you asked. I don't know why it was 45@3500 last night and 49 tonight. Vac line plugged maybe?
Error on my part with new digital light?

Im gonna tag along here and learn **** too....LOL

AJ could the distributor be "locked out"??

Ted, when you got the timing readings, can you a feel a vacuum on the dizzy hose when you get to higher rpms?

Sorry guys, not trying to confuse anything....

The dist. is not currently locked out. When a dist. is locked, it can no longer do any advancing. Its a set it and forget it thing, best suited for drag racing, or engines with very big cams. We may lock it out later, depending on the results from what the engine wants for timings, but I dont like to do that on street cars.The vacuum advance function is very useful, as I have learned.
-And Ted if youre going to replace the vacuum can, you will want to get the one with the biggest number on the arm that you can find. I have never found one higher than 20*.It will not be the factory one listed for your engine.The LA small blocks all use the same type of can and are interchangeable. So happy hunting.
-And if anyone out there has found a can in the 24 to 30 degree range, I would sure like one,and probably, so will Ted.
- But Ted, does your can hold vacuum at all? That is to say,can you suck on the hose attached to the can, and suck and suck,endlessly pulling air into your lungs. If so, its done. This can be done on a running engine, and the idle speed will usually change if the can is functioning. If no change is noted, its likely done. By the way, your lungs will have to generate in the neighborhood of 18 inches of vacuum for this test.No one can do it in one pull. At least I doubt anyone can.You need to do it in stages. That is suck on the hose,bite the hose,suck and bite, continue as far as you can. You probably figured that out, but its fun to see in print.
-And to 4spd; its often possible for the carb to be pulling vacuum at the sparkport well past 3000rpm or more, when in Neutral/unloaded. This is because very little throttle is required to get there without a load on the engine. This is especially so as c/r goes up, as efficiency is also then rising.

Correct me, but 51* with hose plugged....wouldnt that equate to like mid 60 with it hooked up, or does hooking hose up lower the advance??

to 4spd....Probably no such relationship,but maybe.
-The 51* power timing will have to be changed, to somewhere in the low to mid 30*s. And the vacuum advance can add anywhere from 0* to 20*to what ever the mechanical advance is doing, and depending on the cans ability and the vacuum available at the sparkport.
-In this case,as it now stands, it COULD be up to 71* with a working 20*can, Which is why I said "dont drive it this way".
-BTW,Ted, still waiting for the compression test results.And I will tell you why thats so important.I have tuned sbm engines with aluminum heads and over 205psi compression to run on 93octane E-10 fuel, here, at 900 ft elevation.With iron heads its better to be down at 185 or so. If your engine is going to make 240psi, you will never be able to run it WOT on 93 without it self-destructing, and trying to tune it will be very difficult indeed.Now, I heard you say that the previous owner cruised it around just fine.Well thats quite possible, to just cruise it,I mean.Because at small throttle settings, the Effective Compression is low, and you can get away with it.But as throttle openings and rpm and load increase, the dreaded rattle will show up.Id really like to get that squared away before we get too deep into this.

compression will be posted tomorrow after i get off work. Will try to get a vac gauge tonight. You said to hook it to intake, can i just hook it into the vac advance hose?

No Ted, the sparkport will not work for this.You must us vacuum from below the carb throttle plates. Sometimes you have to get creative in sourcing the vacuum.Sometimes you have to Tee into another line, such as the PCV hose,or the brake booster hose, or a choke pull-off line.Many manifolds have a plug somewhere that can be unscrewed and a vacuum nipple screwed in, in its place. The nipple can be sourced at any jobber.Whatever source you use, it must provide full vacuum at idle, and increase progressively as the throttle is opened. The sparkport takes its vacuum signal from just above the throttle plates. It is usually de-activated at idle, showing zero or near zero vacuum. Its signal also,is proportional to manifold vacuum and not usually the same as M-vacuum, at the smaller throttle openings.Eventually, as throttle angles increase, it catches up.If you like, you can put the guage on the sparkport just to see how it works. Then put it on the manifold source and compare.

heading to the parts store. What weight oil and what fram filter do you recomend. Hard to tell but it looks like it has a fram ph16 on it now. I am also getting all new belts and hoses. And i am going to look at their vac advances.

Do not use fram oill filters! Rumors are that they may collapse...
Take a pic a little further away from the dizzy....can't see the.vac advance.

I cant make a recommendation as to filters or oil.
-The reason is my engine has over 125000 miles on it and I think its had at least one of every kind of commonly available oil filter on it.I never paid much attention to them. Not so with oils. I was never picky as to brands, but never buy the cheapest either, unless I am able to buy a known good name brand for a good price. Maybe Im just lucky. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.
- One thing worth repeating is this; If you have a flat-tappet cam and lifters they require special consideration.They used to put an additive into the oils to increase the their life. It was called Zinc. Several years ago they stopped putting it in.Without the Zinc, my engine immediately dropped 3 lobes off the cam.I think they still put the Zinc in oils for diesel engines.
-They mark all oils with a special seal on the can, indicating the standards to which it was made.Problem is I forget the codes. Consequently I just buy the Zinc additive separately.Its available at new car dealers and at a lot of jobbers. Flat tappet cams need the Zinc, especially with their accompanying high spring pressures.Make sure to get the Zinc in your engine,or you will be spending more money.
-BTW, my slanty is flat tappet but doesnt seem to care about the Zinc as it has just barely enough spring pressure to succesfully rev to the 3500rpm that it rarely sees.

currently holds 75psi oil pressure all the time. I am going to run 5w30 and see what it does and go from there. Funny thing is I have no idea if mine is flat-tappet.
Compression test results.
1=135psi
3=135psi
5=130psi
7=135psi
2=130psi
4=140psi
6=130psi
8=130psi

idle 900rpm vacuum inside 11-12 in Hg
@ 2000rpm 18 in Hg
also i have about 9 in Hg in the sparkport at idle. Cant get rid of it no matter where i turn the screws. It wasnt there previously. Currently set at 6 initial and 37 total. Started fine warm. We will see what it does in the morning. Time constraints prevented me from doing the vacuum test to find the best initial but i plan to asap.

The reason the sparkport shows vacuum is because the throttles have been opened to maintain idle speed with the retarded idle timing.
-As idle timing will be increased, the idle speed will go up, as will the idle vacuum. Then you will reduce the idle speed back to 900. Now you will see a new, lower vacuum reading at the sparkport, and a slightly increased manifold vacuum.Keep repeating the procedure until the idle vacuum stops rising at the 900 rpm idle speed
-At the end of the procedure, the sparkport vacuum will be at its lowest, hopefully very near to zero or zero.The actual number at the sparkport we can deal with, whatever it may be. Hopefully the idle timing will not be too excessive, falling between 18* and 24*,say.
-Then we will get to modifying the dist. for power-timing.
-If you dont know the type of camshaft thats in the engine, then put the Zinc in,period.It cannot hurt. And its better safe than sorry.The Zinc is not expensive. And oils with Zinc are about the same price as those without.
-Now as to the compression test results. Something is not computing. There is a very large discrepancy between your results, and the stated 13:1 compression ratio. I have to conclude that A) the present c/r is closer to 9:1, or B) your gauge is in error, or C)The chambers are leaking seriously ,or D)somehow the test was performed incorrectly, or E) the cam has a very late intake closing event. We will have to get to the bottom of that.
- At a true 135psi, you will easily be able to run 87 octane. The 11-12 inches vacuum tells that the cam may be fairly large, unless the ignition timing is too retarded. If the 135 is accurate, and the cam is that big, the engine will definitely be sluggish off the line, esp with 3.23s and a stock convertor. If I had to guess, from here, Id say the gauge is in error.You will need to calibrate it, replace it, or perform a new test with a different gauge.There is just too much of a gap from 135psi to 13:1 c/r.Tuning for 135psi is completely different than tuning for 200plus psi. Now you can see why I was so focused on the compression test results.
-So, get the idle timing bugged out, and either prove the gauge, or get a new compression test with a different gauge. Then we will be better able to proceed.

Ok so we are a bit messed up.
-I checked with my jobber, the catalog was Bluestreak/Standard. The following cans are are listed for Mopars but no applications listed. You will need to cross-reference them to find out which ones fit the small-block V-8 family.Most of them are from the 60s or 70s.I listed them in order of desirability.
Chryser Pn----Standard Pn----max advance
Pn2642774-------VC154--------11.5 to 14.5
Pn2875735-------VC172--------10.5 to 13.5
Pn3755474-------VC189-----------10 to 12
Pn2875096-------VC37---------- 9 to 12
-Did you read the now lost post, about the aftermarket adjustable distributor?
-Of these, only the3755474 fits the mag trigger dist. The others are for point types.

yes on the after market distributor , i have the 5 pin control with ballast and what looks to be an accel coil, large square yellow and tan in color. i like the sound and look of the hei spark set up from trailbeast but not sure if i "need" it.
on the vacuum advance the vc3031 from napa has 11R on the arm. as i said in the now missing posts that is as hi as i can find and as far as application it said it fits High Altitude emission 318's, would a 318 vacuum advance work on my 360. i think it would but not sure.
on the aftermarket distributor which would you recommend and what would I have to purchase other than the distributor itself.

-That coil is awesome. One has been in my car for over 10 years, as well as an Orange Box ECU.
-See if Napa can give you a Chrysler Pn for that can. And all small-block Chrysler cans will physically interchange.
-I will try and find some time to see whats out there for adjustable street dizzys. Anybody out there got recommendations?
-Whats the weather like where you live? Are you still driving your classic? HaHa about the wet cement joke. How old is your son? Did you receive/read the post about its ok to drive it with idle-timing at 22ish degrees, and the non-working advance can? But not to floor it; remembering Rattle is not allowed.

With cylinder pressure like that, no way your compression is anywhere near 13.5 unless your camshaft is around 270 or more duration @ .050.

Cross Interchange Parts
Factory Number
AIRTEX 4V1068
CARQUEST 57-7511
WELLS CV3031
CHRYSLER 3656766
CHRYSLER 3755491
GM 88924848
yes still driving it. 21*btdc just driving normally no flooring it.
central east coast mild weather
will the non working advance can cause the "hesitation"/"bog"/"stumble"/ or whatever you want to call it? it does it when accelerating from a stop sign. and i am not happy with my cold starts as mentioned previously. as far as the person I purchased the car from, he had no info on the car except the paperwork that he received when he purchased it. I bought it as a "dodge dart with a 360 in it" i didn't see the motor paperwork until after agreeing to purchase the car. however I did find an ad for this car when it was for sale previously and the paperwork is shown as a selling point for the car. I am going to purchase the vc3031 vacuum advance and see what it does.
my son is about a year away from getting his license he has little interest in the old dart. but with todays challengers, chargers, camaros and vettes who can blame him:)

-
Back