38 years done

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well I've worked for the same company for the last 38 years and today I locked the door to my office for the last time.
I started out working nights running log yard equipment feeding logs to the saw mill. Then unloading log trucks on days.
After 11 years of that I became a scaler measuring the logs as they came in for payment to the loggers. I did that for a few years then took over management the log yard and chip facility.
After 5 years of that I became a log buyer buying logs in 7 different counties and in Canada. About 5 years ago times started getting bad for our mill.

At one point in time we employed close to 200 people.
Three years ago we cut one shift and had to lay off a lot of people. Our log supply started to dwindle because of added competition for the same log. We went through more cuts. At that point I went back to managing the log yard.

Last August our company was purchased by an investment firm, and on December 21st they announced they where going to close our mill. (Merry Christmas)

My job lasted until today because I had to oversee the dispersal of our log inventory and had to do a fair amount of clean up.

So at 3:00 today I locked the door to the log yard office for the last time after 38 years of service.
Walked out to my truck and left without even one of my superiors even acknowledging that I was leaving.

I don't think I'm going to be unemployed for long though. Another mill in the area has approached me about coming to work for them as a log buyer. But first I'm going to take March off catch a plane to Yuma, Arizona and spend a few week with my parents.
Then hopefully it's back to work.
Sorry for the long post but I had to vent some while I'm sitting out here in my shop having a few beers. Cheers!!!

Things happen for a reason,you'll probably look back in a year and see it was for the best! Good luck and Enjoy March!

Wow,what a story.
38years and not even a thanks....That's pretty f..ked up.
Wish you the best.

Good luck...I unfortunately had to experience shutting down 3 auto supplier plants over the last few years here in Michigan myself. I moved from company to company and they would make the decision to try a cover their bad choices by moving the work to Mexico. Not my decision just a mid level manager caught in the middle. I have seen many 30+ year people (and friends) lose their jobs during that time. Not good but I keep in touch with many of them and there are quite a few success stories. The ones that don't find success after that are the ones that blame and don't take the opportunity for the most part.

I wish you the best of luck. Sounds like this might be an opportunity for you that you wouldn't have found if this hadn't happened. I sure hope this works out well for you.

I have to say I envy you, and this is why. I am 40 years old and the longest job I have has was 3 years. The days of starting out with a company when your in your late teens or early 20's and working there till you retire are a long gone memory, I got my current job in July of 2010, and due to a very poor Management team I honestly come into work each day not knowing if my gate badge is going to work because the Mill has terminated my company's service, or due to the paranoia of Management getting fired because I'm deemed a threat to there keeping there job. I do wish I could look forward to having a job for 20+ years but I don't think that will ever happen. David

Sorry to hear about your Job Stan. Enjoy your vacation and I hope they gave you a nice severance check for your time.

Fook them supervisors. I hope it all comes together for you.

Walked out to my truck and left without even one of my superiors even acknowledging that I was leaving.

I've been at my job 22 years and I would bet the same thing would happen if I were to leave!

Enjoy your warm vacation and hopefull your job lead will work out!!!

I don't think you'll be unemployed very long either. It sounds like you've got knowledge and experience. You'll probably earn more as well. Good luck.

Unbelievable. Best of luck to you. Enjoy your time with your parents.

Pretty damn sad. Enjoy your time in AZ, if you leave there at the end of March you will miss the lighting of the torch, so to speak........

Well you can walk with your head up and proud. Something very few people are willing to do today is Work.You have defiantly earned your working mans PHD.Job well done Kevin.

Thanks guys! I'm actually looking forward to starting with a new company, Buying logs is a job I really enjoyed and will be glad to get back to doing it. Getting to spend time up in the woods looking around is a great job. (especially during hunting season!)

I'm going to have to take a bit of a cut in pay, but that's okay because I'll be getting retirement checks from the place I was working for. So I think the wife and I will get through this just fine.
But I'm still waiting for the call from the other place to confirm I got the job. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

maybe you can get in business for yourself, maybe as a broker buying standing timber for the mills and having loggers do the cutting. I know several around here doing that and they seem to make more than the ones actually doing the work and don't have the investment in equipment. Enjoy your time off and good luck for your future,Joe

Stan, Geez that sucks to hear how you were treated after 38 years :sad1: :wack: It's an unfortunate sign of the times, but I bet you'll find a new gig that's much better when you're ready.

If you decide to make it to or near Phx while you're visiting your folks, give us a shout :thumbup:

I got my fingers crossed for ya Stan. I been in my line of work for a little over 38 years and I have someone interested in buying my business,not really sure what I will do if I sell. Good luck Stan!

Good luck Stan and I hope this new company has the foresight to follow through!

Sorry to hear about the goodbye party... Peckerheads......

............Hi Stan...good luck 2 ya......i've changed jobs a few times in my life.......all have been 4 the better...........kim.........

That sucks!!!

I volunteered to leave corporate life after 37 years with the same company. The package I left with was the best they've ever had or ever will have. If I worked just a couple more years the lump sum would have been WAY less, so at 55 I left corporate life and have been fly fishing, hiking, camping, doing a lot of photography and playing with the 340 Duster that I bought when I got out of the Army as well as doing a lot of car gatherings and shows.

No supervision when leaving...? They must have had a decent opinion of you as a person. I would have had a hard time not taking home some souvenirs/retirement benefit/going away presents.

Well Stan sounds like you have learned it all from top to bottom and you will be an asset to your new company....maybe you can snag some of your old customers?? Piss on the ***-clown management dicks too!

Even though your departure was anticlimactic, maybe it was better you walked away in silent dignity....hollow words might have tarnished your memories of your time there.

-
Back