383/496 6 pack Build

-

383.6pacfish

Reaction score
Fellow Mopars
I am conducting a 383 build to a 496 and just would like opinions on my applacation. Here we go..
Stroker kit from 440 source. ( bore is 0.60 Over at 4.310)
-20 Dish Pistons rods and crank at 4.250
10.5.1 Compression Ratio machine the pistons -.010
I am going to run 906 heads 2.14/1.81
Roller Rocker set up from Comp
Purple shaft cam 106* centerline
Dual Valve sprins
Push Rods, I didnt know to go with the 5/16 or the 3/8? ( inputs)
Dual Idler Gear Drive

OEM 6 Pack intake and 6 Pack Carbs.. which outboard carbs run 500cfm, and center is 350cfm..

Please let me know what you think.. Thanks

this is an interesting topic because I'm thinking of doing a 426 out of my original 383 for my super bee.... i didnt know 440 source even had a stroker kit for the 383.

im even thinking about a six pack.your build sounds good...i may haf ta pleasurize.

Remember that the 6 pack is rated at a 2 bbl. rating which converts into 935/950 CFM worth of 4bbl. rating. The next issue you should look at or think about is the 6 pack intake is a dual plane that will flow around 300 CFM prep'd. The intake should out flow the heads for best performance.

The last And only thing I see a problem with is the cams specs.

There are none except the expected centerline. Whatcha gonna run?!?!

well I am thinking of running a Purple Shaft .. or Comp? I think the best fit for this build is going to be
Advertised Duration: 324°/324°
Centerline: 106°
Lift: .620"/.620"
RPM Range: 4000 to 7000
If anyone has diffrent ideas, please share..

cam is to big, i think something about 500 lift and about 230's to 240's @.050 duration. heads will not flow good over 500 lift so why beat up the valve train with that big lift. the go big or go home thing might bite you in the a** with that big cam you will get your bell rung by small block stockers

Good to know. my brother has a 69 and is building a small block for his, and we are going to have a small block.big block showdown of our own.. Thanks El5DEMON340..

On the cam I was not at all happy with the purple shaft .509 on either the 340 six pack in my cuda or the 440 six pack on my dads GTX. We switched to the Performer RPM cam in both and are very pleased. I have the Summit cam -.466/488- in my 383 Duster and in my friends 440 in his '70 Charger and they runs great and have good street manners, but pull hard in the upper rpms too. Just depends if you want to drive it to cruise nights or just a strip car.

myself i like the 528 lift purple shaft cam, installed at 106-07 center pulls hard all the way thru!! ask crackedback about cam this guy is sharp!!!!!!

well I am thinking of running a Purple Shaft .. or Comp? I think the best fit for this build is going to be
Advertised Duration: 324°/324°
Centerline: 106°
Lift: .620"/.620"
RPM Range: 4000 to 7000
If anyone has diffrent ideas, please share..

I find that cam just a bit scarry big for the induction system that will quite and see max engine output by 6000. Re-entertain a cam that peaks @ approx 6,000 - 6,200 max! Get in as much lift as the head will flow. If it stops flowing, (And stalls) then that is your max lift that the cam should deliver.

Next would be a stall converter & gears to complement the engine package and cars weight.

Personally I don't like the MP stuff. If you buy it, it must be degreed carefully - some are totally horrid quality. In terms of size - when lash is taken out that cam's around .595, and the duraion is around 275° at .050. For a 496" engine that's not a huge cam. The problem is the heads. If they are not ported they won't move enough air to feed it well with any camshaft. I would suggest if you're serious, invest in better heads and have them touched up at least, ported if possible. Then put a modern cam in it.

I think the best thing you could do, is buy a decent pair of bare aluminum heads and go as far with them as your budget will support. Then call Tim, at Bullet and have him spec you a camshaft. Go with a 3/8" pushrod diameter from Manton, Smith Bros or another reputable manufacturer. I'm not a fan of gear drives, I know some people like them. I think the harmonics transferred can do more harm, than the supposed gains from not incurring chain stretch. If I were building something more along the lines of a max effort deal, I'd go with a Jesel belt drive. For what you're doing, I'd buy a good, three bolt double roller chain.

Fellow Mopars
I am conducting a 383 build to a 496 and just would like opinions on my applacation. Here we go..
Stroker kit from 440 source. ( bore is 0.60 Over at 4.310)
-20 Dish Pistons rods and crank at 4.250
10.5.1 Compression Ratio machine the pistons -.010
I am going to run 906 heads 2.14/1.81
Roller Rocker set up from Comp
Purple shaft cam 106* centerline
Dual Valve sprins
Push Rods, I didnt know to go with the 5/16 or the 3/8? ( inputs)
Dual Idler Gear Drive

OEM 6 Pack intake and 6 Pack Carbs.. which outboard carbs run 500cfm, and center is 350cfm..

Please let me know what you think.. Thanks

What is the intended purpose of this engine? Just to beat your brother, street, strip, what? What type of fuel?

Some more thought needs to go into this build. Really, what's the budget?

What does it mean "machine the pistons -.010". Your combination with 906 heads will yield 9.4-9.9:1 compression (depending upon deck height and gasket thickness) which is not a bad idea but it won't want a big cam.

Nothing wrong with them, but why the 906 heads and the 6-pack carburetion?

^^ that's the guy I was thinking of about the porting bit if you go that way.

What is the intended purpose of this engine? Just to beat your brother, street, strip, what? What type of fuel?

Some more thought needs to go into this build. Really, what's the budget?

What does it mean "machine the pistons -.010". Your combination with 906 heads will yield 9.4-9.9:1 compression (depending upon deck height and gasket thickness) which is not a bad idea but it won't want a big cam.

Nothing wrong with them, but why the 906 heads and the 6-pack carburetion?

Unless it's an all out drag car the 6 pack will perform better in the low to mid range and give better mileage, plus looks a lot cooler than a single 4

Well thanks, but I guess I'll wait for 383.6pacfish to explain unless you've been designated his spokesperson.

His design might have been something 40 years ago but it looks like a frog in a blender right now.

Your welcome, pretty much everyone's engine looks like a frog in a blender even with alumimum heads and a shiny 4 bbl compared to LS1's, new Hemis, and Teslas.. LOL

Morning all, Sorry been away...
Thanks all for the info, all is great and I am taken it in slowly. The purpose behind this build is just for me and for the street... I would like to have something that I take out on Sunday and cruise for a day, or take to car shows but when I get the itch I can take it to the local strip, or have that little red Slowvette or Matchbox rice burner pulls up on me Then I can put them behind me. That is why I am coming here. The more inputs and specs are tossed around the better my build will be... `It was suggested that I should keep my lift around 500, looking at Cam Shafts, and taking in what was said here, also speaking to my brother, we think that a 509 cam would be an ideal cam to go with. I was thinking on having a 2800-stall, I myself have heard great stories about the 906 heads, and Closed Chamber was the way to go… Listening to the MOPAR guys and one of the best fuel/air systems was the 6 pack Carb set up... so I told myself I can’t get a hemi right now so I will build a bad *** 383 6 pack for my fish.

-
Back