383 6-71 build ?'s

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I have a 383 69 block and I am going to build it for a 6-71 at 5 to 7 psi of boost, A driver or cruiser with a 3:23 gear , 727, in 68 Cuda
> Can I run Power forged flat top pistons. I do not find many options for Inverted dish for the 383

> What would the target compression ratio be with iron heads? Can I get by with 8 to 1?
> I was thinking of using a pair of fresh 901 heads at 88cc's and a special Head gasket.

> With the low boost level would I still be better off with AL heads?
> Do I need to have the 69 Crank double keyed at 5 to 7 psi

I have a 383 69 block and I am going to build it for a 6-71 at 5 to 7 psi of boost, A driver or cruiser with a 3:23 gear , 727, in 68 Cuda
> Can I run Power forged flat top pistons. I do not find many options for Inverted dish for the 383

> What would the target compression ratio be with iron heads? Can I get by with 8 to 1?
> I was thinking of using a pair of fresh 901 heads at 88cc's and a special Head gasket.

> With the low boost level would I still be better off with AL heads?
> Do I need to have the 69 Crank double keyed at 5 to 7 psi

I don't see any reason why you can't run flat top pistons as long as your final static compression is in the 8 to 1 range.
I don't run a special head gasket but I do run a good Felpro, can't remember the number right now.
Al heads won't be needed for a street cruiser as you won't be getting the compression and boost to high. The biggest advantage to AL heads would be the weight savings.
I don't have mine double keyed. The advice I got was it was nice but if you were not going above 10 psi it wasn't really needed.

Jack

Thank you for helping me.
> Are you using special rods or stock rods Coyote Jack?
> Have the machine shop Align Bore and deck the block
> ARP fasteners

Any thing you would rec ?

I have eagle H-beam rods, TRW forged pistons and a stock forged crank. I had the block align bored and decked. It was also cleaned so you could eat off of it. I had my x-heads gone through with new valves, seats, guides and springs. The heads were already ported. I assembled the engine. I used ARP fasteners throughout the engine.

The one thing I would recommend is to use a good machinist. Oh yeah, take a look at the yellowbullet.com forum. They have a good supercharger forum and there is a guy that can give you some tips on a mopar big block by the name of blownzoom440.

Jack

I would look at a 8-71 instead of a 6-71. A 6-71 is on the small side for your cubic in displacement in my opinion. You will want around 8.5:1 so it wont be doggy & run a 112 -114 c/l cam . & make sure you get custom blower pistons. They have a lower top ring landing for heat . The manifold will cost you $900.00 from BDS . It is a expensive piece unless you want to fab up a low profile intake . I did a blown 383 years ago & it was a total Animal & you know how a well set up 383 revs to the moon in a naturally aspirated build. It was crazy with a blower. I used diamond racing for my pistons & got my crank & heavy duty rods from OHIO CRANKSHAFT. Check them out ! I have been very happy with all their stuff.
Whatever you decide to do ,just make sure you do the right cam . 110 -114 c/l . I like 112-114 the best & I do mine on a 114 ,but it will make extra heat . Make sure you have a very good cooling system & I use restrictors instead of a t-stat . I had too many problems with t-stats fluctuating & solved it when I went to restrictor style.

Good luck

I have eagle H-beam rods, TRW forged pistons and a stock forged crank. I had the block align bored and decked. It was also cleaned so you could eat off of it. I had my x-heads gone through with new valves, seats, guides and springs. The heads were already ported. I assembled the engine. I used ARP fasteners throughout the engine.

The one thing I would recommend is to use a good machinist. Oh yeah, take a look at the yellowbullet.com forum. They have a good supercharger forum and there is a guy that can give you some tips on a mopar big block by the name of blownzoom.

Jack

And hit the newbie thread first, lol

-
Back