383 build no power

-
Why not tell him that the mopar cam has to be advanced (no adv built in)and the issues of having to idle it at 1200 to drop it in gear and try to keep it idling at 600 without carb adj. to keep the idle rich enough or the bog when nailing it because of a too tight converter. Sure it will run with that cam and hell a 280 at .050 cam but i dont think it will be enjoyable for the street.If he puts it dot to dot if the cam was ground correct it puts it at 106 icl.

that's what I think to so Im putting the lunati 702 in. Anybody need a 284 484/484 cam lol.
I got it out and put lifters in box as pulled out in order

No thanks,I pulled mine and sold it to a guy I was doing heads for on his 440-6pak Superbird.
I bought a 292/.509 for my 383:D:D:D Oh yeah, he had an off the shelf 10" converter in
that winged boat, drove like a dream. Besides boiling the hides at will,we turned onto a 4-
lane going up-hill w/a 5.0 'stang fuzzin' us from behind,sounded good and we obliged as he
pulled up beside us. Took that thing to school by about 2 1/2 boat lengths by the time we hit
3rd gear.:D If you really don't want to swap converters 'cause of$$, then yeah, you need
to step down in cam size. If you are worried about driveablity w/a 10" converter,.. don't be!!
Even on milder cams they can make your life easier,we're not talking a 3800 job here.
I would've been curious how your car liked that cam corrected,but............
The 'stang guys were cool, the pass. went by as we turned off w/his arm out thumb's up :glasses7:

:coffee2:

JMO, but I think the converter is way tight. Glad you found the problem with the cam and all and are fixin that, but that in gear drop is a killer.

Night and day She pulls strong from the get go like its supposed to. The mopar 284 cam might have been ok but I like the drivability and power of this lunati a lot has a little lope and pulls 16 inches of vac at idel. Still running factory holley 600

Congrats ,glad your happy.You hung in there and made it work. Nothing wrong with your carb and the cam kit was a cheaper/ better move than a 3-500$$ converter.

the stock 383 hi po cam is 268*/284* . of course it will be night and day cuz the mopar cam was in at around 70 degree intake centerline. what do U think the converter stall is now?

Sounds good. The way your tach is moving at 5000 rpm id be shifting at 5500 to 6000. Hey but its not my car so shift where you want. Nice ride.

the stock 383 hi po cam is 268*/284* . of course it will be night and day cuz the mopar cam was in at around 70 degree intake centerline. what do U think the converter stall is now?

With the mopar cam that was in there he would have been lucky if it stalled at 1800 if it stalls at 22-23 now.

With the mopar cam that was in there he would have been lucky if it stalled at 1800 if it stalls at 22-23 now.

the: vehicle weight, carb, intake, stroke, rear gear etc. are the same, only difference is a smaller cam so I disagree. too bad cuz the cam was in way wrong many guessed the problem was the cam is way too big. my cam is way bigger and when I punch it at 1500 the way bigger tires smoke, and my stall rpm is 0

the: vehicle weight, carb, intake, stroke, rear gear etc. are the same, only difference is a smaller cam so I disagree. too bad cuz the cam was in way wrong many guessed the problem was the cam is way too big. my cam is way bigger and when I punch it at 1500 the way bigger tires smoke, and my stall rpm is 0

I like my variable stall CF-II.
What I don't like is not being able to put it in D, when I'm just cruising.

Ok, it appears to me, after reading this thread and learning some things... The ending was pretty disappointing. All these cool vids of the car running right, but no proof, what so ever, of smoky burn outs. Which, if I remember right, was the original goal.

Happy things worked out, I like the video's - HOWEVER REWARD US (I believe what Chrisp was saying as well) with a video of some tire smoke.

BTW - What did you set the timing at? And what do the plugs look like now? Did you do dot-to-dot or degree?

Good work -

-
Back