383 builds for drag car

-
I would go with option #2.
That way parts can be inspected and having the block sonic checked, there's no worries in the future
#3 would be good also but giving it a once over before diving to far into would be great

So I have been presented with some options and I respect everyone's opinions on here.

Option 1: I found a guy on FB, about 3 hours away from me, that has a rotating assembly for a 383, forged crank, old TRW domed pistons, stock rods all balanced and a .030 block that is ready to be assembled. Price is under a grand. This is surely in my budget at this time.

Option 2: A member on here and lives close by me has offered parts to build a 451 stroker with a rotating assembly for a little more money that the 383. He has also offered to help with his experience and says he has had his car in the sub 9's. Wow. This is in my budget but would required me to have my 400 block machined and ready.

Option 3: I found a guy on FB that is close to me that has a 440 in his 70 Duster that is now getting in the sub 10's so he is going to rebuild his chassis this winter to meet the rules and has decided to go to a 500+ stroker to get deeper into the 9's or faster. He is running Indy heads and intake and he is keeping that but he said he would be willing to sell me his entire long block that has all forged internals, H-beam rods, icon pistons, roller cam. He says the engine has one season on it and has no issues. Basically I would have to use my stage 6 heads, intake, carb, oiling system and would be ready to go. Price is around 3K which is not in my budget now but I could save my pennies as he is not in a big hurry to sell as the engine is still in the car.

The impulsive me wants to go with option 1 or 2 and start building but I think option 3 is a good deal and is already a proven 10 second combo. I know my heads are not as good as Indy heads but I think I would be happy with it.
What ever option you choose, if the choice included the new heads, resell the Stage VI heads to off set the new purchase.

Option 2!! You will LOVE a stroker motor!! The torque they make will put a never-ending smile on your face. And a big-block stroker? Even better!!

-
Back