383 gasser engine build???

-

greenhornet

Reaction score
Guys I need some advise putting this engine together, this is a BUDGET build, I know tire size, gear, stall converter, weight etc-etc-etc will have to be matched up, I just need to focus on getting the parts ON A BUDGET to get this 383 built, lets just say its going in a light 66-valiant... I know a good single carb works best but this is a gasser, I'll be using a tunnel ram with 2-500cfm edelbrocks, Bottom end will be stock freshened up, I have 452 heads I'm going to clean up the bowls, the cam is my biggest concern running the tunnel ram with stock rockers, a guy offered me a SWEET deal on a new Comp Cam, here are the specs, do y'all think this cam will work?? Roller cam and adjustable rockers are not an option right now.. Thanks for any advise...

Cam StyleHydraulic flat tappetBasic Operating RPM Range2,300-6,300Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift239Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift246Duration at 050 inch Lift239 int./246 exh.Advertised Intake Duration284Advertised Exhaust Duration291Advertised Duration284 int./291 exh.Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.484 in.Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.484 in.Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.484 int./0.484 exh. liftLobe Separation (degrees)108Camshaft Gear Attachment1-boltIntake Valve Lash0.000 in.Exhaust Valve Lash0.000 in.Computer-Controlled CompatibleNoGrind NumberPP292HQuantitySold individually.

You need a flat tappet cam , I prefer Racer Brown or Hughes but the Mopar .557 would work good. Look for some good Adj Rockers used, and get springs from Hughes Engines and and be sure to CC the heads. You need some compression too, even KB pistons would work.The tunnel ram will slow you down, unless you turn some rpm and get better carbs

I agree on the MP 557, that turned out to be the best for my combo 23 years ago. I tried the 590, but it actually killed some 60 ft.

You have to build a fire under a 383, due to the short stroke, but they can fly.

that is a flat tappet cam... But a hydraulic so he can use stock arms... If it was me, I would try to dig up something like the 270H Comp. With 452s on a 383 you'll need something that is not too large in terms of overlap but still sounds sizable. I think the 284 with the tunnel ram and compression around 9:1 might be too much. I'd also say mill the heck out of those heads and don't forget the milling of the intake if needed to fit it.

-
Back