383 Into Stock Slant Six K Member?

-

Slugger8985

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a 383 to replace the slant six my 66 Valiant came with. Will the stock K member be able to hold the weight of the 383 with replacement motor mounts or should I try and find a big block k member to replace it with?

So the stock K member WILL be able to handle that weight? I've seen that website before thanks for the input I was curious about their reputation.

Brad

Brad, I don't know how you've been talking to, what you have read or been told, but the K frame is capable of holding a few HEMI's and a elephant with a cherry on top and still be able to go mud boggin.

Who ever told you the K frame of any Chrysler car is not up to par should be shot and drag away into the pits of hell after a good burn of there body.

Signed the been there and done that several times.

Now go build that 383 to kill some Fords and Chevies.

This was originally a /6 Demon and yes, using the Schmacher mounts, torque rod and headers the 383 fits just fine on top of the /6 K member, even with power steering.

6 (Small).JPG

I'm hoping to get at least 550 hp out of it. I just found an article in an old Mopar Magazine that gives parts and everything that they got 560 hp out of an old 383 so maybe that'll help

Yeah a Slant 6 K will hold a 383....my 62 Valiant wagon had a 413 sandwiched into the front on a 170CID Slant 6 K.

The K member will hold the weight of any big block with no problem. I would, however, investigate the availability of exhaust for the pre 67 A body. There isn't much available to fit the early narrow engine compartment.

If that's the case I'll hold off on the fully tubular K Frame I was going to invest in haha

it was a tight fit, whovever did it used the stock 413 exaust manifolds on mine. I sold the 413 (blown up) and replaced it with a +30-318. I used Spitfire headers. You'll probably have to do a lot of fab work to get headers to work unless you go fenderwell?

Custom headers aren't bad, just time-consuming. I still haven't completely decided if I want to go 440 or 383 though.

Custom headers aren't bad, just time-consuming. I still haven't completely decided if I want to go 440 or 383 though.

Get yourself a 400 and stroke it, it'll outperform the 440 and easier engine bay fit like the 383 and better piston choices than the 383. JMO

See I've had different people say go with 440 or go with 400 or 383 haha. It's such a hard choice because I'd love to have tons of hp now but I know my budget won't allow it so I just want to get as much horsepower for as little of money as possible.

You will have more room with a 383-400 B vs a 440 RB, you could add a stroker crank to a 400 and there ya go mega HP, but it is all about your budget.

You can fit what ever you can afford, the 400 is an easier fit to work on for the $$.. Call TTI for exhaust and you need mounts conversion kit is all.

SUre! Absoultely!

Purchase new rods since there cheaper than re-working old ones and do some math to get the right piston for a good ratio, balnce it all up and you'll be fine and on your way.

550 HP is nothing.

Gaaahhhh I just can't decide 383 or 440. I can't find any 400 blocks around here or that I can afford, only 383s and 440s. Show of hands.......383?.........or 440?.............

I am a firm believer in the saying big is good, bigger is better, but the biggest is the best....So I say go 440! Most bang for the buck, with out having to stroke etc!! That is why I have a 383 in my Dart!! LOL got a deal I could not refuse on it so I went with it!! Plus I wanted power steering, so more room for that with the 383!!!!

I'm planning on buying a 383 to replace the slant six my 66 Valiant came with. Will the stock K member be able to hold the weight of the 383 with replacement motor mounts or should I try and find a big block k member to replace it with?

yup the slant k-frame will hold just fine. your problem will be headders. no one make them for an early a-body. i had mine custom made when i did my 64 valiant. had to make my own mounts too because that was before schumacher and street master made them.. i say 440. may as well start with the biggest cubes.

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

Since no one else has make this comment, I noticed you said "66". You don't have a k frame option. There was no "big block" k frame for 66.

The 67-76 A body was redesigned with a larger engine compartment and different K frame designs.

The 63-66 used the same k frame for either the /6 or the small block V8 (with different mounts). There was no big block option in 66. The newer k frames will not work on that application.

Schumacher Creative services http://engine-swaps.com offers a conversion mount for that k frame but the big block is a VERY tight fit in the earlier 66 engine compartments. All of the above posts about the 383/400 being narrower than the 413/426w/440 are correct. You get about 1/4 inch which is a GIFT on that swap! The 67-76 A body swap is much easier.

As far as handling the weight, what you want are larger TORSION BARS. I believe the aftermarket bars will fit in the 64-66 A bodies.

Good luck!
Greg Purcell

-
Back