383 or 360 in my 73 duster? what should i do.

-

pennywize

Reaction score
im picking up a 73 duster at the end of the month. has no engine. was originally a slant 6, a\c, power steering, power dic brakes.

i have 2 engines lined up that i could buy as rebuildable cores.

the first is a 360 with a 727 attached. im told its from a 73 truck, so i would need a new oil pan and pickup, and new tailshaft housing etc on the trans if i wanted to use it. i can get this setup for $100

the other is a 383 with a 727 from a car. unkown year. good rebuildable core.
i can get this for $200

either way i go there is a lot of work involved which is no problem. i hope to have the car on the road within 3 years, thats my only goal.

im really not sure how easy it is to put the 383 in the duster, i thought i read somewhere that the power brake booster might get in the way, also maybe the power steering? and fitting headers seems to be an issue.

so im relying on you guys to help me decide which engine to put in my duster.
thanks!

The 360/727 is the better of the two choices. Parts are easier to find and cheaper.
Thanks, Mark

I Put A 440 In My 73 Duster, I Would Not Go Back, I Am In Fort Bragg
I Have A Good Running 360 If You Are Intrested. $200.00 You Can Hear It Run Before I Pull It. Supose To Have Been Rebuilt 30,000
Mi. Ago.

You have to be determined to deal and don't mind a tight fit big blocks are cool. If you are looking to just cruise the car the small block is much easier to install.

If I read the post correctly, the choice was between a $100 360 and a $200 383. Would anyone seriously build the 383 with all the big block A-body conversion costs?? If money is no object and we want to go to fantasyland, why not put a big cube race hemi in it?
Mark

The 360 will drop right in, bolt right up and run like a champ. A 383 is a BIG pice of iron and parts can be an issue sometimes.

My two cents. -LY

Big block can be in there in two hours and running. motor plates fender well headers keep the six banger bars drive it any were with 323s and get 18to20 mpg.unless your going to be road racing then small block.ether ones a good motor i guess its all in what you want.that's my 2cents worth.....

How are parts an issue for a 383, or which parts?

a big block is a bolt in swap. just as easy as the small block swap. only real difference is the headers. there is nothing like a big block a-body. they are awesome.

im really not sure how easy it is to put the 383 in the duster, i thought i read somewhere that the power brake booster might get in the way, also maybe the power steering? and fitting headers seems to be an issue.

as far as the power brakes go the a-body booster is kinda raised up so it there is actually more room woth power brakes then with out.

The 360 will drop right in, bolt right up and run like a champ. A 383 is a BIG pice of iron and parts can be an issue sometimes.

My two cents. -LY

a 383 will drop right in, run like a champ also. what parts are an issue with a 383? you can get just about anything for them.

I see a 383/400 like a big bore version of the 340, and a lil'bit more stroke.

And a mello cam and small tube headers did it and did it well.

thanks for all the input from all who replied. i think im going to stick with a small block setup.

I Put A 440 In My 73 Duster, I Would Not Go Back, I Am In Fort Bragg
I Have A Good Running 360 If You Are Intrested. $200.00 You Can Hear It Run Before I Pull It. Supose To Have Been Rebuilt 30,000
Mi. Ago.

i am very interested in this engine. i could come down next weekend and pick it up. i would like a bit more info and maybe some pics. please pm me.

that lil ol 383 makes the 440 6pak dana white sunday bs tv build look even more laughable!

-
Back