383 Stroker?

-

baracus

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted some opinions from you yall about my plans for my 383. I have a 69 383 4 speed barracuda which I plan on doing a stock resto except for the drivetrain. I realize a stock 383 in an abody is quick already but want some more power. I want the engine to look stock but be capable of 12s at the track and be reliable to drive on street. I was thinking of stroking the 383 and would like to know exactly whats involved in this. Can I use a stock forged 440 crank and rods? I want to be around 9.5.1 compression for street gas and use the stock hp exhaust manifolds and carb. I will prob use an aftermarket intake. What kind of cam and head work would you recommend using the exhaust manifolds? It is a 4 speed with 355 gears. I appreciate all your help.

A Reworked 440 Forged Steel Crank & "ly" 440 Rods can be used in a 383 Block to make a "438" Cubic Inch Engine.
Aftermarket Pistons are available for the 438 build.

Pretty easy 500hp "no brainer" type build, even with the 440 Source "Stealth" Heads and a very driveable Flat Tappett Hydraulic Cam.

Exhaust manifolds WILL lower the power substantially, but I have never tried them on the Dyno, to know how much for sure ?

If you purchase a 440 Source Kit, make sure you have it checked THOROUGHLY, by a qualified Automotive Machinist BEFORE you assemble it.
Most are fine, some are NOT !

around 2000 i wanted to build my 383 and wound up using the 440 steel crank and resized ly rods. 30 over pitons had to be custom made at that time. it is a 431, 9.2:1 compression stock rebuilt 906 heads torker intake 1 3/4" headers 3" exhaust 9.5" converter 3.73s and it has gone a best of 11.81. i just made some changes and am curious how its going to run. stealth heads rpm intake 2" headers and a new exhaust. i dont want to put a bar in this car so ill gladly slow it down with gear and carb changes and make it more streetable while making more power.

around 2000 i wanted to build my 383 and wound up using the 440 steel crank and resized ly rods. 30 over pitons had to be custom made at that time. it is a 431, 9.2:1 compression stock rebuilt 906 heads torker intake 1 3/4" headers 3" exhaust 9.5" converter 3.73s and it has gone a best of 11.81. i just made some changes and am curious how its going to run. stealth heads rpm intake 2" headers and a new exhaust. i dont want to put a bar in this car so ill gladly slow it down with gear and carb changes and make it more streetable while making more power.

IMO,
If you were 9.2:1 CR with the Cast Iron Heads on pump gas ?
to remain "comparable" for peak burn Pressures,
you will want around 10.2:1 CR for the ALUMINUM Stealth Heads on pump gas, 1 full point higher,
due to,
the Aluminum Heads greater dissipation of Combustion Heat.
Think of it as maintaining "Apples to Apples" for power parameters.

Once the above is attained, the better breathing Stealths & Intake/Exhaust combo should produce more power as long as the camshaft profile is conduscive to utilizing the greater Flow potential.

Hey guys, wanted some opinions from you yall about my plans for my 383. I have a 69 383 4 speed barracuda which I plan on doing a stock resto except for the drivetrain. I realize a stock 383 in an abody is quick already but want some more power. I want the engine to look stock but be capable of 12s at the track and be reliable to drive on street. I was thinking of stroking the 383 and would like to know exactly whats involved in this. Can I use a stock forged 440 crank and rods? I want to be around 9.5.1 compression for street gas and use the stock hp exhaust manifolds and carb. I will prob use an aftermarket intake. What kind of cam and head work would you recommend using the exhaust manifolds? It is a 4 speed with 355 gears. I appreciate all your help.

Great idea. I'm posting so I can see what kind of advice you get and how it turns out.

im confident its making more power than before, even if the aluminum is stealing the heat. they do have a slightly smaller chamber, 10 cc advertised but i didnt do any math on it. it will work, it really needed to breath. i was just trying to give the guy an idea what you can do with a mildly stroked 383 street motor. his goals are not unreasonable.

I have 4-Sale my completely rebuilt 440 cid engine, from intake to oil pan with all NEW internals, sitting on engine stand. Everything is new (Mostly Mopar Performance Parts)! The heads have been completely disassembled, cooked, mag, inspected and assembled with everything new from rockers to valves, springs and port matched to the intake. The block has been cooked, mag, line bored, balanced, down to a new electronic distributor. All it needs is a water pump, plug wires and a carb. The pistons are 9.5 to 1, the cam is streetable and set up for an automatic trans (making it nice if one decided to put a 4-speed behind it) and the engine was built to handle a blower or spray if one chooses to do so. Asking $3200 or make offer

Attachments

• 1000000139.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 176
-
Back