383 with zero oil pressure.

-
I know, that is what I am worried about. I hope some of the other posters are correct. At worst I am praying that a push rod got bent and a lifter is out of place! I will keep everyone up to date after tomorrow night!

First of all , I want to say thank you all for your input. I just got back from my buddies garage. First we primed the oil pump with no filter. Oil shot beautifully out on the ground. we then switched to the other filter and primed. still zero. Then we removed the passenger valve cover. Lo and behold the push rod for the #4 cylinder was laying below the cam. We removed the push rod and it was bent with a nice split right at the halfway point. We looked inside and the lifter was out of the bore laying on its side. After much aggravation with a magnet and a pick we were able to get the lifter back into place. Put a new push rod in and primed with the drill and wow plenty of oil pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't say thank you guys enough for your advice, I was beginning to think I had spun a cam bearing. Again, thank you and I will keep everyone up to date as I go along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you found a lifter out and solved the mystery. Now you might want to put that piston at the bottom of the stroke and tap on that valve with a hammer to make sure it isn't stuck.

roger that, we gave her some love taps , then put some marvels in just for good measure!

I'm sure you thought of this already. But when you put it back together and before you replace the valve covers, I would turn the engine over by the front crank bolt at least two rotations to make sure the valves are opening and closing smoothly.

..................Yep..............Now the problem becomes "why did it bend a pushrod?"

When we turned the motor the valve on number 4 was hung. A few love taps and some marvels and she released nicely! I would wager that the valve hung and caused the pushrod to bend. Thanks fellas, tomorrow night we will put everything back together and get the timing dialed in better. Then it is on to the brakes! yeah, can't wait, dual cylinder calipers on the front and drums in the back!

Any words of advice before I tear into the braking system?

There you go, you nailed it. Chances are when that valve was pushed open and stuck there the pushrod fell out from the rocker arm, got wedged between the lifter and rocker shaft. Next time that lobe on the cam came around the pushrod was wedged and the PR bent. What kind of brakes are you working on 4 piston KH, later single piston (73-newer) or aftermarket?

Honestly I'm not sure. I talked to my uncle in Jersey and he remembers my father having "all kinds of problems getting the dual cylinders on the front calipers right, but that he finally got it". If I have time tomorrow after I put the rest back together, I will look for some id on them and post it here.

I can do that at the least. I'll remember to bring my camera over to the shop tomorrow night and take some pics. Thanks again to everyone for all of their help! I'll catch up tomorrow night!

Glad you got the issue solved, once your oil soaks into the valve guide,and it gets moving again. I'm sure it will loosen back up.

These are the four piston Kelsey Hayes calipers.

attachment.php

Thanks OK, I didn't get a chance to work on the breaks last night. I will attempt to get to the shop this weekend and check them out. I must spend time with the family for a few days!

-
Back