3D printed fuel sender gaskets

-

kenelder

70 340 4spd 6 pack
Reaction score
Replacing the sender in the tank of an A body typically results in a leak around the replacement rubber gasket. There’s been comments about the new lock rings being too thin, etc.

Having a 3D printer handy and knowing TPU filament is flexible and impervious to gasoline, I’ve been using it for gaskets between the air cleaner and carburetor. TPU has worked well so I decided to print sending unit gaskets of different thickness. I made 5 gaskets starting with the same thickness as the rubber gasket and increased thickness in 0.5mm increments. Figured I’d sneak up on the “right” thickness gasket….

Turns out that 1.5mm thicker gasket worked great. Snug fit even with the new lock ring, no leaks so far. One thing I noticed is that the TPU gasket did not try to “bunch up” or wrinkle like the rubber gasket did.

I’ll let everyone know how this works out after a few weeks, but I’m expecting them to work just fine.

Ken

71936274787__297AD6A2-0310-43D3-BFB1-04394AEF8078.jpeg

That's cool.

I have been cutting my own gaskets for atop the AFB. Even the "official" ones in the carb kits don't have the two notches needed. Do you think you could make one if I provided a pattern?

Yes I think I could do that- I’d need an accurate pattern plus the thickness you want. I’m not wanting to get into the business of 3D printed gaskets but I’ll give it a try and you can see how you like it.

While TPU will work for carb to air cleaner gaskets, it is heat sensitive so can’t be used for things like valve cover gaskets- and of course the size of the printer bed limits the size of the gasket that can be printed. But it’s big enough for carb gaskets.

I've been tapping the 3 tabs on the tank down before installing the sender, to apply more pressure on the ring and seal .
Been doing it since 2000ish.
3 cars on the property now, at least a 1/2 dozen customers cars running around for years, no leaks, no drama .

Last edited:
Yes I think I could do that- I’d need an accurate pattern plus the thickness you want. I’m not wanting to get into the business of 3D printed gaskets but I’ll give it a try and you can see how you like it.

While TPU will work for carb to air cleaner gaskets, it is heat sensitive so can’t be used for things like valve cover gaskets- and of course the size of the printer bed limits the size of the gasket that can be printed. But it’s big enough for carb gaskets.
I think we have some cool technology these days!!

To the OP:

I know you don't want to go into production, but if this works, I'm 99% certain I could use one in Bazza's '71 VG Valiant. (Please see my introduction if you're not familiar.) (Ha! And why would you be?)

I had to remove the sending unit while it was here (I replaced the windings with an OEM part from Oz), and I didn't put gas back in the car until a few days before we took it back to him.

And damned if it doesn't leak now!

The car is back home now with Bazza, but that's 3-1/2 hours away, so I can't get any dimensions for you. Nor do I know when I'll be able to get up there and make a repair.

But if you ever get a wild hair and print-out a few, please don't forget about me!

Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim, I don't mind doing a few for the folks on this forum so sure I can do some for you. I'm not sure if the '71 VG Valiant has the same tank as a '70 Dart, but I'd expect it is. Especially if it uses the same sending unit. If you'll PM me your address I'll print out a few different thicknesses and mail them to you. If it uses a different size tank or sending unit I'll need the diameters too......

I think mvh wanted a AFB carb gasket, same deal- if you will get me your address as well as accurate dimensions I'll print a couple for you to try.

I just didn't want anyone thinking I was planning to do this commercially, it's a hobby for me. If there's a lot of demand, my son is the head dog at a manufacturing company that has 3D printing and I'd just turn volume stuff over to him.

Thanks,

Ken

So far, full tank and no leaks so that TPU gasket is working fine. I really liked the way it compressed without pinching- the rubber gaskets tend to drag with the lock ring and pinch, when that happens you get a leak.

So far, full tank and no leaks so that TPU gasket is working fine. I really liked the way it compressed without pinching- the rubber gaskets tend to drag with the lock ring and pinch, when that happens you get a leak.

A little lube prevents that on any of the gaskets supplied .

I made a gasket out of cork material bought at a parts store. The cork was thick, but made it work and it sealed

I just used 2 aftermarket gaskets. Not a drop in many years

I left the rubber gasket on for 1 week since the fuel level was lower than the gasket. When I took it off to put on the TPU gasket the rubber had already started to crack. That was a brand new rubber gasket, glad I got rid that one.

Thanks to all of you for all the tricks on making the repo stuff work!!!

Hi Jim, I don't mind doing a few for the folks on this forum so sure I can do some for you. I'm not sure if the '71 VG Valiant has the same tank as a '70 Dart, but I'd expect it is. Especially if it uses the same sending unit. If you'll PM me your address I'll print out a few different thicknesses and mail them to you. If it uses a different size tank or sending unit I'll need the diameters too......

I think mvh wanted a AFB carb gasket, same deal- if you will get me your address as well as accurate dimensions I'll print a couple for you to try.

I just didn't want anyone thinking I was planning to do this commercially, it's a hobby for me. If there's a lot of demand, my son is the head dog at a manufacturing company that has 3D printing and I'd just turn volume stuff over to him.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken,

Thank you, sir! That is a very kind and generous offer!

I will send you a PM in a few minutes here.

Jim

What are the chances that you could make the plug in the door for the side window vent? No one offers it, the plastic snap bushing plugs don't really cut it. Just myself, I need 3 of them. Bet there are a lot of others.

This one? I could do that one, because of the way it must be printed the top surface would be flat rather than rounded. If you were looking for originality it wouldn’t look quite right, but it might be close.

For 3D printing, one side must be on the printer bed. So that side will be flat. I’d print these upside down so the part you see would be flat, but I might be able to get the edge rounded.

Will that work?

IMG_3277.jpeg

Would it be of a rubber like material? Yes, that is the plug. Here are some measurements and pictures. The replacement picture that is first, is what everyone is pushing for a replacement. The last is the real one.
Suppose I should start a thread over in interiors, or pm me.

20231025_150617.jpg

20231025_150732.jpg

20231025_151048.jpg

20231025_151450.jpg

That looks like enough dimensions, let me see what I can draw up. Now that I see the picture I believe it can be printed with the rounded top. I'll post a picture of the drawing first, might take a day or so to get time to do it. Once it looks good then I can print a few samples.

Thanks!

-
Back